Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renunciation of US citizenship

Wikiposts

Renunciation of US citizenship

Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:03 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renunciation of US citizenship

Originally Posted by happynz
"No, please to stamp all!"
"No, I will stamp...uh, this one." He chose one at random, bam, and handed over the lot. "Next, please." He motioned me to the desk.
As I look through my old passports at the stamps they bring back all sorts of memories. God forbid we go to a totally digital card where the stamps are no longer in ink but just unseen bits of data.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Years ago I took the boat from Kaohsiung, Taiwan to Macau. At immigration control an older Chinese woman cut in front of me (as is their right it appears) and plonked sixteen passports on the immigration officers desk and loudly proclaimed, "They all me, all me. Please to stamp all!" I was a bit intrigued and had a bit of a peer over her shoulder. Sure enough there were sixteen passports issued in her name with her photograph.
The Portuguese immigration officer had a bit of a slow perusal through each passport and then carefully laid them back on the desk.
"Please to stamp all!" the old lady again demanded.
The immigration officer leaned back and scratched his head. "I will stamp only one. You choose which one."
"No, I will stamp...uh, this one." He chose one at random, bam, and handed over the lot. "Next, please." He motioned me to the desk.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
You get a tax credit for of $82,000 and change, which basically offsets any income upto that point. However, under a recent change once you cross that threshold, you're taxed on the next dollar ($82,001) at the rate paid by a person making $82,001, not at the rate of a person making $1. So a guy making $100,000 will pay a very high rate on that last $20,000, as compared to the low rate a person just making $20,000.

That's what all the fuss was about last year. In some places with high expat packages (like Hong Kong) it meant a pretty signficant hit to some people (i.e. an extra $10k in taxes).
but isn't the dual taxation agreement supposed to ensure that one is not taxed twice?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:54 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago I took the boat from Kaohsiung, Taiwan to Macau. At immigration control an older Chinese woman cut in front of me (as is their right it appears) and plonked sixteen passports on the immigration officers desk and loudly proclaimed, "They all me, all me. Please to stamp all!" I was a bit intrigued and had a bit of a peer over her shoulder. Sure enough there were sixteen passports issued in her name with her photograph.
The Portuguese immigration officer had a bit of a slow perusal through each passport and then carefully laid them back on the desk.
"Please to stamp all!" the old lady again demanded.
The immigration officer leaned back and scratched his head. "I will stamp only one. You choose which one."
That is just surreal! How on earth do you get that many (real) passports?? Geez!

You get a tax credit for of $82,000 and change, which basically offsets any income upto that point. However, under a recent change once you cross that threshold, you're taxed on the next dollar ($82,001) at the rate paid by a person making $82,001, not at the rate of a person making $1. So a guy making $100,000 will pay a very high rate on that last $20,000, as compared to the low rate a person just making $20,000.

That's what all the fuss was about last year. In some places with high expat packages (like Hong Kong) it meant a pretty signficant hit to some people (i.e. an extra $10k in taxes).
Thanks PenguinSix, we should be alright then, as my salary won't be as high as that. Of course that's still exceedingly unfair on how the excess is taxed.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
but isn't the dual taxation agreement supposed to ensure that one is not taxed twice?
Usually works in places with higher taxation than (federal) U.S. but maybe not somewhere like Hong Kong.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 5:11 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
I would definitely speak to a tax attorney before doing such a thing.
IRS publication 519 is a rather useful document that nobody ever reads. Page 22 gives the short version. Form 8854 (linked by penguinsix above somewhere) gives more details.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

As I've already said, the exemption is $82,400. And as I've already said, if you are in a country where you pay local tax, you can get a substantial credit on the rest which reduces it somewhat. The places where people get hit most on the excess are tax free places like the UAE.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
As I've already said, the exemption is $82,400. And as I've already said, if you are in a country where you pay local tax, you can get a substantial credit on the rest which reduces it somewhat. The places where people get hit most on the excess are tax free places like the UAE.
Double whammy atm, not only did tax bills get a nasty hike with last years regulation changes, the regions currencies being pegged to a dollar with it's arse hanging in the wind screws everyone (well most) over ....
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:10 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Wonder if I'll have any problem holding 3 passports...
You'll need slightly larger pockets, for a start.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I hold US/UK citizenship. I would never renounce my US citizenship. It does scare me a little that I have to file taxes when I move back to the UK. I am sure it's not that bad, but I don't want to upset the IRS!