Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renunciation of US citizenship

Wikiposts

Renunciation of US citizenship

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 3:54 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renunciation of US citizenship

An interesting article I came across: LINK

This is something I would seriously consider if the US wants too much money for the privilege of not being in the country for a long time... if daughter were not born in the US and wasn't a dual national, I'd do it the moment I got my NZ citizenship...
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renunciation of US citizenship

Originally Posted by Maz

This is something I would seriously consider if the US wants too much money for the privilege of not being in the country for a long time... if daughter were not born in the US and wasn't a dual national, I'd do it the moment I got my NZ citizenship...
did you get the job, Maz?
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:31 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

What the article didn't mention is that the IRS still goes after some who give up their citizenship for up to 10 years if their income / assets are above a certiain level. They also go after people who give up Green Cards who have assets over a certain level. There is a presumption that you are giving up citizenship to dodge taxes, so they keep after you.

http://www.debito.org/naturalization2.html
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

Go for it. No reason to keep a citizenship that not wanted and/or needed. You can always visit as a visitor in the future.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:22 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
did you get the job, Maz?
I'm waiting on the employer to do their checks (references, credit checks - it's a financial institution, and background check) then I'll get a job offer sent via courier.

Originally Posted by penguinsix
What the article didn't mention is that the IRS still goes after some who give up their citizenship for up to 10 years if their income / assets are above a certiain level. They also go after people who give up Green Cards who have assets over a certain level. There is a presumption that you are giving up citizenship to dodge taxes, so they keep after you.

http://www.debito.org/naturalization2.html
They do? Bastards! :curse:

Originally Posted by Rete
Go for it. No reason to keep a citizenship that not wanted and/or needed. You can always visit as a visitor in the future.
There's a ban for 10 years though, isn't there? If our daughter decides to do her OE and come to the US for any considerable length of time, I wouldn't be able to visit her.

I just think it's woefully unfair of the US to tax based on citizenship, not residency.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that unless you are earning a substantial amount, its largely a non issue. If you are non resident for tax purposes, you get a substantial break anyway especially if double taxation agreements are in force.

And how exactly does the IRS know exactly how much this woman is earning anyway, what with her Swiss bank account and all....I think there are alternative ways and means around this over giving up your citizenship.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:24 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard the 10 years, and repeated it, but I'm not sure exactly where in the code it is located. It may be urban legend (though I've heard some speak of it authoritatively).

There are some pretty draconian rules about ex-US citizens. First, if they judge you as a tax dodger, you are banned--FOR LIFE, though enforcement is still being sorted out I think (some say it is unconstitutional).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...2----000-.html

(E) Former citizens who renounced citizenship to avoid taxation
Any alien who is a former citizen of the United States who officially renounces United States citizenship and who is determined by the Attorney General to have renounced United States citizenship for the purpose of avoiding taxation by the United States is inadmissible.

Also, I've read that if you return to the US from > 30 days, you are re-classified as a US citizen in the eyes of the IRS. Joy.

http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8854/ch01.html

Tax Consequences of Presence in the United States After Expatriation or Termination of Residency

If, for any tax year during the 10-year period in which you are otherwise subject to section 877, you are present in the United States for more than 30 days in a calendar year ending in such tax year, you will be treated as a U.S. citizen or resident for that tax year. You will be subject to U.S. tax on your worldwide income unless the following exception applies.

p.s. Generally the amount that is required for this to kick in is > $500,000, which more and more people are qualifying for when they sell there houses.

If you are serious about this--you need to talk to a tax lawyer who specializes in US expat issues.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

There's a ban for 10 years though, isn't there? If our daughter decides to do her OE and come to the US for any considerable length of time, I wouldn't be able to visit her.
What would happen if you needed to come to the US if your daughter were sick or injured?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:52 am

I've did a bit of digging and can't find a 'legal' ban on travel to the US after renunciation, but I have found many many sites that say 'good luck getting a visa--you'll need it.' There is a famous legal case of a guy who renounced his citizenship, but still wanted to live in the US after he was done travelling the world. The State Department ruled he did not renounce because he didn't realize the effects of renunciation (basically, if he is so dumb to think this, he is too dumb to have renounced).

I'm sure it is done, but it would be difficult. Again, something for the lawyers.

p.s. you probably already know that you cannot renounce on behalf of your children. Only they can do it, and only after 18.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:58 am
Maz

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
What would happen if you needed to come to the US if your daughter were sick or injured?
Well yeah that is the biggie. I just hope she settles in to NZ enough, and that if she does her OE, she chooses Europe over the US in any case.

It's weird that the State Dept decides why an individual has renounced... I wonder if the individual can appeal?

Over $500K? Nope, our house is on the market for just under half that amount, so we're safe there. Not rich, but comfortably off.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:01 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I would definitely speak to a tax attorney before doing such a thing.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

Over $500K? Nope, our house is on the market for just under half that amount, so we're safe there. Not rich, but comfortably off.
Then I wouldn't be worrying about it too much. If you live outside the US for 330 days or more in a year, you are exempt on the first $82,400 earned by you personally. And even then, if you are paying foreign tax, in a county where double taxsation agreement is in force, I think you can claim a foreign tax credit.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:13 am
Maz

Originally Posted by Dan725
Then I wouldn't be worrying about it too much. If you live outside the US for 330 days or more in a year, you are exempt on the first $82,400 earned by you personally. And even then, if you are paying foreign tax, in a county where double taxsation agreement is in force, I think you can claim a foreign tax credit.
We're safe then. Thanks Dan - and everyone else!

Wonder if I'll have any problem holding 3 passports...
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maz
We're safe then. Thanks Dan - and everyone else!

Wonder if I'll have any problem holding 3 passports...
No worries. You will still have to file a return each year, but at least you won't owe anything! Small price to pay to come and go from the US as you please I reckon.

Here is the start point for the official IRS site on foreign tax matters: http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq13-7.html

Last edited by Dan725; Sep 4th 2007 at 4:34 am.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:45 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I don't think it is a problem. Many South AFricans here have 3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.