Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renting apartment/house when you first move over with no US credit?

Renting apartment/house when you first move over with no US credit?

Old Apr 29th 2014, 2:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting apartment/house when you first move over with no US credit?

Originally Posted by phil77
Hello All,

We are going back home and need to rent our house in Westport CT (great place for families with kids at all ages!).

Where would be best places to publish our house for homeowners rentals? Seems the best is to get to the MLS but this requires me to go through an agent that I like to avoid.

Thanks for helping
Local papers, craigslist, college/library notice board....all the usual suspects.

If you're renting, the potential tenant usually pays the fee anyway, so it's no skin off your nose, unless it's not a hopping area for rentals.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting apartment/house when you first move over with no US credit?

Originally Posted by sherbert
I've read the threads and wiki on credit but I'm still confused. We've been here a month. We need to move out of our temporary airbnb apartment into something more permanent.

If we rent an apartment through a private landlord (because that's the only option when you have no credit history) we'll most likely be paying our own utilities ...but do you need credit history to sign up for utilities (electricity, internet ... TV I don't need) in the first place?
We found a flat at a Glenwood property in NYC who were very very used to renting to new foreign arrivals with no credit history. Other major landlords are too (Brodsky etc). They wanted to see the job offer letter and what my partner's income was going to be. The leasing office phone the main office and we were accepted. No 3 month deposit needed, just one month as normal. Paying the rent every month by 'direct debit' is considered a plus (don't get me started on US banking) and some landlords seemed to reduce the deposit requirement if you do this. It was a swanky building...I'd thoroughly recommend Glenwood particularly if you've just arrived. They are usually full service buildings, which is nice when you're finding your feet.