Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renting In America

Renting In America

Old Nov 12th 2007, 7:19 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting In America

Now is actually a great time to rent a house,townhouse or condo.So many people went out invested in second and third homes only to find them selves stuck with a property that is difficult to sell during this housing market.They have no choice but to find a renter in order to keep from losing the home to forclosure.There are tons of private owners looking for renters.Drive through the various communities were you might like to live and look for signs in the windows stating house for rent,townhouse for rent.There is real desperation out there to find a renter.Also look in the classifieds.

This might be the best time in the last 20 years to be a renter! 95 out of 100 owners are not set up to run credit reports which mean they only can do a employment background check.Credit worthy is not a issue when you rent from a private owner,so if you don't have an established credit history renting from a private owner is the way to go.Plus Houses,Townhomes and Condos are usually much nicer than apartments.ONLY aceept offers that require no more than one month rent deposite + one month security.You can be very picky in this market crisis.I have two friends who are currently renting a townhouse and the other a house.No credit checks and the owners are so thrilled to have reliable renters.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonball
Hello! i am sorry if I am asking a question that has already been addressed but I have not bee able to find it.
I am moving to San Francisco in December from the UK with a job waiting for me (I am an American/British citizen but left the States when I was 8). I will need to rent an apartment at the end of January but as I have no credit history in America does anybody seem to know what options will be available?
rent privately, problem solved.

or have work linked to a credit union and have them write a letter saying what money your on....sorted.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Now is actually a great time to rent a house,townhouse or condo.So many people went out invested in second and third homes only to find them selves stuck with a property that is difficult to sell during this housing market.They have no choice but to find a renter in order to keep from losing the home to forclosure.There are tons of private owners looking for renters.Drive through the various communities were you might like to live and look for signs in the windows stating house for rent,townhouse for rent.There is real desperation out there to find a renter.Also look in the classifieds.

This might be the best time in the last 20 years to be a renter! 95 out of 100 owners are not set up to run credit reports which mean they only can do a employment background check.Credit worthy is not a issue when you rent from a private owner,so if you don't have an established credit history renting from a private owner is the way to go.Plus Houses,Townhomes and Condos are usually much nicer than apartments.ONLY aceept offers that require no more than one month rent deposite + one month security.You can be very picky in this market crisis.I have two friends who are currently renting a townhouse and the other a house.No credit checks and the owners are so thrilled to have reliable renters.
You obviously haven't tried to rent in San Francisco recently! Believe me, most potential renters have learnt to turn up to view rentals with a credit report tucked under their arm - the rental market really is that competitive. Plus, the foreclosure rate here is still very low, so the factors you mention haven't appeared (yet, perhaps). Now, the further you radiate out from SF (and SJ) - particularly to the east, the more likely the factors you mention will come into play, particularly once you get into the bedroom communities on the eastern edge of the Central Valley (Manteca, Mountain House, Stockton etc all of which have extremely high foreclosure rates).
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I rented in the Texas without any credit history over there at an apt complex with a proper management company.

They knew they couldn't really check me out, so just insisted I showed my work contract (proving my salary) and wanted a copy of my passport. I didn't even have a social security number at that point since I'd only been in the country 2-days. The apt complex was located near to various huge international companies (Microsoft, Nokia, etc) and they really were not fazed.

Can only speak of my personal experience of course, but I didn't have a problem. Just make sure you have some paperwork to prove you can pay rent.

Funnily enough, at all consequent apts I had to fill out every form under the sun and get completely checked since I of course then did have a SS number, DL, etc that they could look at!
Yep same with us and our apartment was secured whilst we were living in the UK.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:48 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yep same with us and our apartment was secured whilst we were living in the UK.
Almost the exact situation as mine too......also in Texas!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad

I agree with this. We are renting from a private owner at the moment, and it was all very straightforward. All they wanted was a letter from my hubbies company to show he was employed and how much he was earning (to determine that we could cover the rent) and away we went. We are in a nice house and nice area too! I'd highly recommend it!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:08 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Keira - just out of interest, which Burb? And does the landlord have other properties?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy
I think they are trying to close this particular loophole to getting credit, I believe as of the start of 2008 being an authorised user on a card will not benefit your score.

An alternative to getting a credit check is to put down a month or two deposit - most of the apartments around here offered this to me as an alternative, not ideal, but if you really want a certain place and don't mind tying up the money for a while it might be worth it
Generally a deposit is not an alternative to a credit check.

At least a month's deposit would be standard. A credit check is in addition.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tracym

All the apartments that were run by management companies that I went to wanted to check my credit and then would take a small deposit if they accepted me - this was far less then a months rent, but when I told them I had no credit they said they could just take 2 months rent instead.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy
All the apartments that were run by management companies that I went to wanted to check my credit and then would take a small deposit if they accepted me - this was far less then a months rent, but when I told them I had no credit they said they could just take 2 months rent instead.
Interesting, I've always seen a month anyway. But apparently some accept less these days.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym

first, last and deposit is standard...
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:32 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

we are also renting of a guy who has a second home he cant sell in the current market. Its very plush and reasonable rent. Our realtor found it though the for sale listing as it had ###lease### in the description.
we also only had to show the husbands employment letter. one months deposit and one month in advance and we are in. got keys on the spot too.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 4:43 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
You obviously haven't tried to rent in San Francisco recently! Believe me, most potential renters have learnt to turn up to view rentals with a credit report tucked under their arm - the rental market really is that competitive. Plus, the foreclosure rate here is still very low, so the factors you mention haven't appeared (yet, perhaps). Now, the further you radiate out from SF (and SJ) - particularly to the east, the more likely the factors you mention will come into play, particularly once you get into the bedroom communities on the eastern edge of the Central Valley (Manteca, Mountain House, Stockton etc all of which have extremely high foreclosure rates).
I'm afraid Giantaxe is entirely correct - the SF City market is pretty tight and people are indeed viewing with their credit reports in their pockets - I have seen 50+ people queuing up outside apartments in some cases and people tussling to complete the landlords application forms on the floor in the apartment to hand it in first.

If you are going to rent in SF (and again, Giantaxe is correct on the easier situation in the boonies) I would certainly get a letter from your employer detailing you salary, benefits, etc.

I've always found craigslist works OK.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
Keira - just out of interest, which Burb? And does the landlord have other properties?
LOL I'm in Long Grove. The landlord and landlady are a couple that bought this house for their father in law who sadly passed away. It had never been lived in. All freshly painted, granite worktops, amazing heated electric toilet that flushes and washes your arse for you! Very nice.
The couple had never rented out to anyone before, they were either going to sell the house or rent it - whichever happened first. Guess we were just lucky! We even get the option to buy at the end of our lease term, which if we haven't found anything else in the area, we might think about doing.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by keira-2007
LOL I'm in Long Grove. The landlord and landlady are a couple that bought this house for their father in law who sadly passed away. It had never been lived in. All freshly painted, granite worktops, amazing heated electric toilet that flushes and washes your arse for you! Very nice.
The couple had never rented out to anyone before, they were either going to sell the house or rent it - whichever happened first. Guess we were just lucky! We even get the option to buy at the end of our lease term, which if we haven't found anything else in the area, we might think about doing.
PMSL I am going to come over for coffe.

Purely because I want to try out that toilet!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.