Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing UK Passport - Few questions / advice needed

Wikiposts

Renewing UK Passport - Few questions / advice needed

Old Apr 11th 2007, 2:59 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing UK Passport - Few questions / advice needed

Originally Posted by jerzyUk
Where are you getting your pictures from? I have been to Walgreens, but the pictures were too blurry and too big.

Thanks,
Dave.
Go back and get them to redo them!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

PhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of lightPhilH930 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jerzyUk
Where are you getting your pictures from? I have been to Walgreens, but the pictures were too blurry and too big.

Thanks,
Dave.
Hi Dave.

I took my own pictures. I used a standard Sony Digital Camera on 5 megapixels. They were not to size, but I cropped them down using various windows software. Then, when printing on a HP printer I was able to select 45mm x 35mm passport photos. I copied my photos in, a bit more re-sizing to position my head correctly in the photo and printed them in high quality on good photo paper. I then cut them myself.

I have done this for all my green card and other USA immigration forms too. I am hoping and somewhat assuming it worked for the UK passport as they have charged my credit card the $197, which was lucky as I beat the $60 price hike by days!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PhilH930
Hi Dave.

I took my own pictures. I used a standard Sony Digital Camera on 5 megapixels. They were not to size, but I cropped them down using various windows software. Then, when printing on a HP printer I was able to select 45mm x 35mm passport photos. I copied my photos in, a bit more re-sizing to position my head correctly in the photo and printed them in high quality on good photo paper. I then cut them myself.

I have done this for all my green card and other USA immigration forms too. I am hoping and somewhat assuming it worked for the UK passport as they have charged my credit card the $197, which was lucky as I beat the $60 price hike by days!
We did ours too...for the GC, UK PP and N400.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

jerzyUk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of the prompt replies

My wife found PassportPhoto by OnTheGoSoft. It is an excellent program that basically formats digital pictures. It is only $10, and it supports UK, US, and EU formats.

Sadly I didn't realise my passport has expired until after the 1st of April, so $250 it is for me

Thanks again everyone, cheers,
Dave.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

jerzyUk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Go back and get them to redo them!
I already did that, but they were blurry again. Turns out the photos that my wife did were much better. Thanks though, cheers,

Dave.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:07 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you do get the pics countersigned, it's not usually necessary to have a Brit do it. A "professional in good standing" is good enough.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Even if you do get the pics countersigned, it's not usually necessary to have a Brit do it. A "professional in good standing" is good enough.
I don't think it is necessary to get them countersigned unless one's appearance has changed noticeably.

Old Apr 11th 2007, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
I don't think it is necessary to get them countersigned unless one's appearance has changed noticeably.

I got the Head of the local Elementary to do mine, I can do others....
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Expat 1985 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the situation where my passport expired late last year just after I returned from the UK. Got a call today from Dad about needing to come home. Mum is at the door. As sad as it is I now am in panic mode trying to get my passport renewed. What a site the Embassy is. I have form C1 filled out, I know I need pictures, however I do find conflicting amounts required for the renewal, is it $265 plus $15 postage or $292 plus $15 shipping?
I need mine expediting and no where can I find where they would accommodate this. I'm sure it's there somewhere and for a premium charge.

I'm somewhat shocked and saddened that they charge $2.90 a minute to talk with anyone who could assist us.

If there is anyone out there who knows where I should look to get things expedited it would be extremely well appreciated.

Thank you in advance at this bad time of need.

Cheers, Bob in S Cal.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Expat---can you renew at the passport office once you're back in the UK?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your reply.
I did read something about that but how do I get in the country with an Expired passport?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:29 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Expat 1985
Thank you so much for your reply.
I did read something about that but how do I get in the country with an Expired passport?
They are unlikely to refuse you entry. You may have to persuade the airline of this though. I would fly BA or Virgin.

Take proof of your mother's condition.

This is the call all expats dread - many of us have been there, so we know how you must be feeling.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Here is some information that is truly worth sharing.
I got a call back from the Embassy, A lovely lady called Alison has given me direct numbers to them and the name of who I send my application overnight to. It will be turned around in days. She herself will contact her colleges in WA to make preperation of my renewal application.
I was stunned.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat 1985
Here is some information that is truly worth sharing.
I got a call back from the Embassy, A lovely lady called Alison has given me direct numbers to them and the name of who I send my application overnight to. It will be turned around in days. She herself will contact her colleges in WA to make preperation of my renewal application.
I was stunned.
Wow, that renews your faith, doesn't it?

I thought you needed to get on a plane like yesterday.. I think you could enter the UK with an expired pp as Elvira mentions, if you don't want to wait.

There are also several threads in this forum about bereavement fares and how to get them. When we got The Call, a travel agent sorted us out on a US carrier, but others here have had very good results with BA.

I hope everything turns out OK.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:43 am
Just Joined

I could have it in 45 minutes if I went in to the LA office the lady told me.
I am not wishing to get on the next flight out but at least be ready to get on a plane next week.
Thank you very much for you help in giving me the requested guidance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.