Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing UK Passport

Wikiposts

Renewing UK Passport

Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:34 am
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing UK Passport

OK so after finally getting my 10 yr green card and what a nightmare that was, i thought i could relax for a while, not so. I just realised my passport expires in July! Do'h! I am currently looking up how to go about renewing a UK passport if you are a resident in the US.. needless to say i am already about 4 or 5 links deep and confused as all hell. Incidently i have a friend back home who works for the post office, i sent him a quick email and he told me i can't renew it as a rush when i'm back in the uk for a visit. I knew it couldn't be that easy!
Anybody whos done this and can point me in the right direction would be grealty appreciated. Cheers.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing UK Passport

Originally Posted by lee_in_nj
OK so after finally getting my 10 yr green card and what a nightmare that was, i thought i could relax for a while, not so. I just realised my passport expires in July! Do'h! I am currently looking up how to go about renewing a UK passport if you are a resident in the US.. needless to say i am already about 4 or 5 links deep and confused as all hell. Incidently i have a friend back home who works for the post office, i sent him a quick email and he told me i can't renew it as a rush when i'm back in the uk for a visit. I knew it couldn't be that easy!
Anybody whos done this and can point me in the right direction would be grealty appreciated. Cheers.
If you are a green card holder your UK passport has to be renewed in the US. If here on a visa it has to be renewed outside the US. Therefore you have to send your existing passport along with forms and fees to the British Embassy in Washington, this normally takes a couple of weeks. The forms can be downloaded from their website.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:44 am
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you are a green card holder your UK passport has to be renewed in the US. If here on a visa it has to be renewed outside the US. Therefore you have to send your existing passport along with forms and fees to the British Embassy in Washington, this normally takes a couple of weeks. The forms can be downloaded from their website.

Exactly what Jerseygirl said. I did mine last year and it only took two weeks.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:47 am
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

OK i got it now and i found the forms. Thanks much!
Old Mar 14th 2006, 6:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OK i got it now and i found the forms. Thanks much!
Mine expires end of April so my passport will be winging its way down to DC at the end of the month.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:04 am
Roll on Spring

skybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to all

Hiya
I`m here on a visa and I`ve just re newed my passport in D.C did I miss read your post? Are there certain visa holders who have to re new their passports back in the U.K?
Thanks
Sue
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by skybluesue
Hiya
I`m here on a visa and I`ve just re newed my passport in D.C did I miss read your post? Are there certain visa holders who have to re new their passports back in the U.K?
Thanks
Sue
I thought that if you were here on a visa you had to go outside the US to get your UK passport renewed. Never had to do it myself but I know of Brits that have gone to Canada or UK to get this done, although this was a few years ago so maybe things have changed.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:15 am
Roll on Spring

skybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to allskybluesue is a name known to all

I thought that if you were here on a visa you had to go outside the US to get your UK passport renewed. Never had to do it myself but I know of Brits that have gone to Canada or UK to get this done, although this was a few years ago so maybe things have changed.
I`ve had to leave the country to change visa`s eg, E2 to H4...
I`m glad the laws have changed *passport wise* it cost enough to renew, without adding travel expenses!
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:30 am
2007 pred.league robbery

Mine expires end of April so my passport will be winging its way down to DC at the end of the month.
I notice the FAQ states this:

14. Do I need to have my application countersigned if it is a straightforward renewal?

If your passport was issued in the last 10 years, this is not normally necessary unless your appearance has noticeably changed.

Are you going to bother getting yours countersigned? My photo from 96 looks like it was taken yesterday (at least to me). I think i am going to send it without so as not to bother anyone.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I notice the FAQ states this:

14. Do I need to have my application countersigned if it is a straightforward renewal?

If your passport was issued in the last 10 years, this is not normally necessary unless your appearance has noticeably changed.

Are you going to bother getting yours countersigned? My photo from 96 looks like it was taken yesterday (at least to me). I think i am going to send it without so as not to bother anyone.

My husband didn't have his photo countersigned when he renewed his a couple of years ago, so I probably won't either. You still have plenty of time if yours lasts until July, mine expires end of April and I haven't downloaded the forms yet.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:44 am
2007 pred.league robbery

My husband didn't have his photo countersigned when he renewed his a couple of years ago, so I probably won't either. You still have plenty of time if yours lasts until July, mine expires end of April and I haven't downloaded the forms yet.

well then better get cracking...
Old Mar 31st 2006, 1:46 am

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Anyone know why we are fleeced on passport costs?

To renew a British passport in the US: $185
To renew a British passport in Blighty: £51

It may even be worth it to fly home and do the fast-track one-week service for £77.50.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 2:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by James Box

It may even be worth it to fly home and do the fast-track one-week service for £77.50.
Can't do that it has to be renewed in country of residence. You have to send it to the UK embassey in DC.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 2:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Probably get round to doing it this weekend.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 2:08 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Box

I know it's criminal and since when have they been charging over $2 a minute for a bloody phone call!!

Don't procratinate because of costs though they keep rising ...and i let my passport expire for two years and had no probs renewing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.