Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing U.K. passport and driving licence

Renewing U.K. passport and driving licence

Old Apr 8th 2018, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewing U.K. passport and driving licence

Hi, apologies I’m sure this is asked a lot, but I’m not quite sure the best approach.

Still have a valid U.K. passport with visa in it and driving license. Registered currently to our house in U.K. as was the case and that house is still owned but it’s currently rented.

So when it comes to getting these updated, what is the best way? I’m pretty sure we won’t be in our current US address when they expire but of course don’t know next address yet.

Should I look to get them changed, what address should be used, should I do one before the other. Given the time/effort with passport changes I want to plan in advance so as not to be without when needed, that would be disaster. Especially since we need to leave and return for I-94 purposes regularly too.

How do people deal with this?

Also, will have visa and cut records in it, active. How to get that preserved. Seems complex, is there an easy way?

Last edited by LouisB; Apr 8th 2018 at 1:01 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing U.K. passport and driving licence

You can easily renew your passport from the US online - https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

I just did mine, you upload a photo to the website and simply have to send your old passport in, no paperwork required.

It took two weeks and two days from dropping my old passport off at post office to receiving my new one (and my old passport with the corner cut off, US visa intact although thankfully not required any more!).

You can't renew your UK driving license if you don't live in the UK so you'll have to just let it expire.

Last edited by Olly_; Apr 8th 2018 at 1:39 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 1:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can renew your British passport up to nine months before the expiry date and any remaining time will be added on to the validity of your new passport. Olly_ provided the correct link to start the process online.

Your GB driving licence cannot be renewed overseas. If and when you return to the UK to reside then you can renew it. Otherwise you will need to continue to use your US drivers license presuming you have one.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 2:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB

Also, will have visa and cut records in it, active. How to get that preserved. Seems complex, is there an easy way?
Your current passport will be returned to you (under separate cover from the new one); in future you will carry both passports -- the visa in the expired passport is still good.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Your current passport will be returned to you (under separate cover from the new one); in future you will carry both passports -- the visa in the expired passport is still good.
Online photos only work if you're not a dual citizen.
Neat option though
Old Apr 8th 2018, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Didn’t realise the passport renewal for new adddress was so easy, that’s good then, thank you.

I’ll see when U.K. license expires.

I just passed US test, license on its way, will that allow me to reciprocally drive in the U.K. if back for a short while (holiday visit etc)?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can drive using your US license when visiting the UK.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

plasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond repute

You can only renew a UK licence if you are residing in the UK, I have tried renewing my UK HGV licence and was refused but you don't need it when going over anyway, I return every couple of years and always use the US licence.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 12:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Didn’t realise the passport renewal for new adddress was so easy, that’s good then, thank you.

I just passed US test, license on its way, will that allow me to reciprocally drive in the U.K. if back for a short while (holiday visit etc)?
It is actually illegal to obtain a UK DL renewal if you are not a UK resident. It is an EU law...it was passed a decade or more ago.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can use your US licence to drive in the UK when visiting.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

me_gustas_tu is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep in mind that your passport doesn't contain details of your address, and it is not expected that you renew your passport when your address changes (either in the UK or overseas). Obviously if you move within the UK, you *do* need to update your driving licence with your new address, but this isn't the case for your passport. You will only need to renew your passport once you get close to its expiry.