British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renewal of UK passport - HELP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renewal-uk-passport-help-942342/)

Boxkicker51 Jan 14th 2022 2:16 am

Renewal of UK passport - HELP

Bit of backstory first. I moved to the US when I was 14 with my mother, I'm now 51. I got my US citizenship in my early 20's and have traveled on a US passport ever since. I still have lots of friends and family in the UK including my Dad.
I would like to renew my British passport but I'm a little confused about the process. I no longer have my British passport that I held as a child so I'm assuming that I will need to file for a lost passport. I started the online application but I can't get any further than the photo part of the application. The only options are to provide a code provided by the retailer that takes your photo. I'm not sure if this is a UK thing as I'm not seeing it on any US retailers that provide passport photos. The second option is to take the photo yourself and upload. I hear that this is the number one reason that applications are rejected because of poor photos. I would prefer to send them in along with my supporting documents but this is not an option.
Has anyone had any similar experiences with this and could you possibly help with this process. Thanks

lizzyq Jan 14th 2022 2:41 am

Re: Renewal of UK passport - HELP

Are you starting from here? https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

tht Jan 14th 2022 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Boxkicker51 (Post 13087962)
Bit of backstory first. I moved to the US when I was 14 with my mother, I'm now 51. I got my US citizenship in my early 20's and have traveled on a US passport ever since. I still have lots of friends and family in the UK including my Dad.
I would like to renew my British passport but I'm a little confused about the process. I no longer have my British passport that I held as a child so I'm assuming that I will need to file for a lost passport. I started the online application but I can't get any further than the photo part of the application. The only options are to provide a code provided by the retailer that takes your photo. I'm not sure if this is a UK thing as I'm not seeing it on any US retailers that provide passport photos. The second option is to take the photo yourself and upload. I hear that this is the number one reason that applications are rejected because of poor photos. I would prefer to send them in along with my supporting documents but this is not an option.
Has anyone had any similar experiences with this and could you possibly help with this process. Thanks

I did mine at CVS, and then got it on a USB stick for an extra charge to upload myself. I think the website checks the photo.

Nutmegger Jan 14th 2022 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Boxkicker51 (Post 13087962)
The second option is to take the photo yourself and upload.

I stood against a white wall and my OH snapped a photo on his iPhone in accord with the instructions. It was accepted for upload on my renewal with no problem -- if the quality hadn't been good enough, I would have been advised on the spot.

SanDiegogirl Jan 14th 2022 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 13088116)
I stood against a white wall and my OH snapped a photo on his iPhone in accord with the instructions. It was accepted for upload on my renewal with no problem -- if the quality hadn't been good enough, I would have been advised on the spot.

+1

flbrit59 Jan 14th 2022 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 13088116)

+2 (except l did it myself, like a selfie, and they accepted it)

kateinbrooklyn Jan 14th 2022 11:33 pm

I helped my father to renew his UK passport when I was back home over Christmas. I took his photo and I thought was following their instructions, however it got rejected a few days after we submitted it. We were then given the option to just log back in and submit another photo. At that point, I'd gone and so he went to Snappy Snaps and had them email him the photo. He submitted it online and 3 days later had his passport in his hand.