Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK passport - HELP

Renewal of UK passport - HELP

Old Jan 14th 2022, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Boxkicker51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewal of UK passport - HELP

Bit of backstory first. I moved to the US when I was 14 with my mother, I'm now 51. I got my US citizenship in my early 20's and have traveled on a US passport ever since. I still have lots of friends and family in the UK including my Dad.
I would like to renew my British passport but I'm a little confused about the process. I no longer have my British passport that I held as a child so I'm assuming that I will need to file for a lost passport. I started the online application but I can't get any further than the photo part of the application. The only options are to provide a code provided by the retailer that takes your photo. I'm not sure if this is a UK thing as I'm not seeing it on any US retailers that provide passport photos. The second option is to take the photo yourself and upload. I hear that this is the number one reason that applications are rejected because of poor photos. I would prefer to send them in along with my supporting documents but this is not an option.
Has anyone had any similar experiences with this and could you possibly help with this process. Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2022, 2:41 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewal of UK passport - HELP

Are you starting from here? https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Jan 14th 2022, 5:28 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boxkicker51 View Post
Bit of backstory first. I moved to the US when I was 14 with my mother, I'm now 51. I got my US citizenship in my early 20's and have traveled on a US passport ever since. I still have lots of friends and family in the UK including my Dad.
I would like to renew my British passport but I'm a little confused about the process. I no longer have my British passport that I held as a child so I'm assuming that I will need to file for a lost passport. I started the online application but I can't get any further than the photo part of the application. The only options are to provide a code provided by the retailer that takes your photo. I'm not sure if this is a UK thing as I'm not seeing it on any US retailers that provide passport photos. The second option is to take the photo yourself and upload. I hear that this is the number one reason that applications are rejected because of poor photos. I would prefer to send them in along with my supporting documents but this is not an option.
Has anyone had any similar experiences with this and could you possibly help with this process. Thanks
I did mine at CVS, and then got it on a USB stick for an extra charge to upload myself. I think the website checks the photo.
Old Jan 14th 2022, 6:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boxkicker51 View Post
The second option is to take the photo yourself and upload.
I stood against a white wall and my OH snapped a photo on his iPhone in accord with the instructions. It was accepted for upload on my renewal with no problem -- if the quality hadn't been good enough, I would have been advised on the spot.
Old Jan 14th 2022, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
I stood against a white wall and my OH snapped a photo on his iPhone in accord with the instructions. It was accepted for upload on my renewal with no problem -- if the quality hadn't been good enough, I would have been advised on the spot.

+1
Old Jan 14th 2022, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
+2 (except l did it myself, like a selfie, and they accepted it)
Old Jan 14th 2022, 11:33 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

I helped my father to renew his UK passport when I was back home over Christmas. I took his photo and I thought was following their instructions, however it got rejected a few days after we submitted it. We were then given the option to just log back in and submit another photo. At that point, I'd gone and so he went to Snappy Snaps and had them email him the photo. He submitted it online and 3 days later had his passport in his hand.