Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renew British passport in UK or US?

Wikiposts

Renew British passport in UK or US?

Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew British passport in UK or US?

Originally Posted by waz_shaheen
If they were both UK citizen, and had a kid, that kid becomes a UK citizen automatically. I don't know the rules, but Im just trying to be logical using my own case.
Citizenship laws are not always logical. From the UKBA website:

"If you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and your parents were British citizens by descent, you are not a British citizen. However, you may be able to apply to register as a British citizen (see registration of a child)."

Did you ever apply for registration? I wonder if this can explain the difficulties you are having in renewing your British passport.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If they were both UK citizen, and had a kid, that kid becomes a UK citizen automatically. I don't know the rules, but Im just trying to be logical using my own case.

If a couple were on a long vacation and had a baby overseas, the kid would not be allowed to go back with them to the UK if he wasn't a UK citizen. Getting a UK passport for a kid is different cuz I believe you are put on your parents passport as a child. I got my first passport when I was three when my parents moved back to the UK.

Again, I didn't read the rules on this, but if Im wrong, its makes no sense. Either way, I've had a British passport for almost 25 years, since 1986 and have had the standard passport since 1999 (expired Dec 2009).
If both of your parents were born outside the UK then you would generally only be British if:

- one of them is naturalised British; or
- one of them, or one of your grandparents, was in UK Crown Service.

OR, you were registered as British with the Home Office before you were 18.

There have been cases where British passports were issued by mistake. This can sometimes be treated as an undetermined application for registration as a British citizen, sometimes not.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 9:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The point being, if they were born outside of the UK, they would be UK citizens by decent, which does not automatically pass on UK citizenship to their children, without meeting other requirements such as number of years residence in the UK.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The point being, if they were born outside of the UK, they would be UK citizens by decent, which does not automatically pass on UK citizenship to their children, without meeting other requirements such as number of years residence in the UK.
Except that a naturalised British citizen is British "otherwise than by descent" (at least if naturalised in the United Kingdom rather than a colony/territory).
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Hocuspocusblade is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just renew your passport at the UK Embassy in DC. Are you so skint that you can't afford the extra $100... or do you prefer convoluted scenarios? You've got lots of time... do it now.

Ian
By means of an update to this post...
I experienced NO 'convoluted scenarios' and saved myself $100+!
My new passport arrived in the UK in just 5 business days and will be sent to me this coming week.
My only difficulty was obtaining the correct sized UK photos and background, but if you care to check out paspic.com they will print and mail a set of 4 for 4.95GBP to your address!
Now I can spend the money I've saved on the exhorbitant airfares.
Nice one 'Richard92024', highly recommended post for those of us who haven't forgotten their British roots!
The American dream is nothing more than fallacy and living life on credit, you are all welcome to it IMO!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hocuspocusblade
I experienced NO 'convoluted scenarios' and saved myself $100+!
Good for you. I'd completely forgotten about you and was none the worse for it.

Ian
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Hocuspocusblade is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Good for you. I'd completely forgotten about you and was none the worse for it.

Ian
Audentis Fortuna iuvat