Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

EU to USA drivers licence change over ?

EU to USA drivers licence change over ?

Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

ycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really niceycats is just really nice
Default EU to USA drivers licence change over ?

what catogries will i be given on my Texas drivers licence when i change it over.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU to USA drivers licence change over ?

Originally Posted by ycats
what catogries will i be given on my Texas drivers licence when i change it over.
Categories?
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ask your wife?

Look up Texas DMV. I don't really know what you mean by 'categories' but you're not going to be 'changing over' anything.
You will have to sit a written and practical exam as a new driver in Texas.

I'm moving your post to the USA forum; good luck to you.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 9:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

whatever ones you take your test in...
Old Nov 17th 2010, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought EU was a dirty word in Ireland.

But I would agree with the others, start with the Texas DMV site.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:09 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
whatever ones you take your test in...
Bob is absolutely right. Vehicle class permissions do not transfer over. i.e. if you have a HGV license, you will need to take a CDL test in the US as you will not be allowed to drive semi trucks on your "EU" license.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:58 pm
Honorary Texan

tom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to alltom_1984 is a name known to all

I moved to Texas with a UK drivers licence and I had to take a theory and practical test to get my Texas license (ridiculously easy btw).

They issued me a class C license with no restrictions.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:28 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I thought EU was a dirty word in Ireland.

But I would agree with the others, start with the Texas DMV site.
not if it includes the word "subsidy"
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
not if it includes the word "subsidy"
Shafted might be the coming word.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

flynno37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

To the person who took the Texas driver's license written and practical test, can you tell me what you had to do?

I'm moving to Dallas next week. I'm considering a rent -to-own deal for a car. Whilst I understand I can do this with a U.K. licence I hear I can't get insurance etc without a Texas license.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
John
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flynno37
Hello,

To the person who took the Texas driver's license written and practical test, can you tell me what you had to do?

I'm moving to Dallas next week. I'm considering a rent -to-own deal for a car. Whilst I understand I can do this with a U.K. licence I hear I can't get insurance etc without a Texas license.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
John
The test is easy compared to a UK test. You need to be able to showmat least 6 months on your visa.
Take a look at the official site http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/

The written test (multiple choice on a computer) does require you to know a bit about the state law for drink driving etc so you should get your hands on a drivers handbook. You should be able tomget that from your local DPS office or you may be able to get one online.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Huh, I wonder why France, Canada and Germany get a pass?

Originally Posted by Texas D/L
Surrender your VALID out-of-state learner or driver license, or a VALID out-of-country learner or driver license from France, Canada, or Germany, at the driver license office. The written and driving examinations will be waived, but you must still pass a vision exam.
From the TX DL site posted above.

Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
Huh, I wonder why France, Canada and Germany get a pass?

From the TX DL site posted above.

Because they're equally as cr@p at driving as the Texans!!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lisa67
Because they're equally as cr@p at driving as the Texans!!
I doubt that on the German front, anyway
Old Mar 31st 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: EU to USA drivers licence change over ?

Originally Posted by rallybug
I doubt that on the German front, anyway
I guess it depends on your definition of cr@p!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.