Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renew British passport in UK or US?

Renew British passport in UK or US?

Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Richard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really nice
Default Re: Renew British passport in UK or US?

My new UK passport arrived last week
Thanks for the helpful advice
Cheers,
Richard
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

But how did you get it?
From DC or in the UK did Mum have to sign?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Richard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really niceRichard92024 is just really nice

Just to reitterate:
I am here in the US, and filled in the online application for a form to be sent to my UK address.
(I did not tick the box requesting the passport be returned by a third party courier).
The application form was sent to my UK address (Mum's house). She didn't have to sign for it.
She mailed the form to me.
I completed the form, with signature, attached photos, filled in my credit card details (giving a credit card in my name based in the UK).
Mailed package to Mum.
She mailed to passport office.
They mailed passport back to Mum.
She mails to me.
Bob's your uncle
Richard

Last edited by Richard92024; Feb 11th 2010 at 9:24 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard92024
Just to reitterate:
I am here in the US, and filled in the online application for a form to be sent to my UK address.
(I did not tick the box requesting the passport be returned by a third party courier).
The application form was sent to my UK address (Mum's house).
She mailed the form to me.
I completed the form, with signature, attached photos, filled in my credit card details (giving a credit card in my name based in the UK).
Mailed package to Mum.
She mailed to passport office.
They mailed passport back to Mum.
She mails to me.
Bob's your uncle
Richard

how much did you save?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hundred bucks
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Minty will become famous soon enoughMinty will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I can't believe you're vacillating over $100 difference - which could easily get eaten up with mail/courier costs back and forth across the pond.

I renewed my UK passport a couple of years ago at the Embassy in DC. Yes, it was more expensive, but what the hell... it was way more convenient.

Ian
I too just recently got an new passport and used the DC office. Easy to fill in the forms and pay the money direct. Can't remember the cost but the extra was worth the hassle free process. $100 is anly about 60GBP and having the easy route to get a new passport was well worth it for me.

Just my two pennies worth!
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:36 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard92024
Hundred bucks
Including postage?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minty
I too just recently got an new passport and used the DC office. Easy to fill in the forms and pay the money direct. Can't remember the cost but the extra was worth the hassle free process. $100 is anly about 60GBP and having the easy route to get a new passport was well worth it for me.

Just my two pennies worth!
Well I'd rather have the money in my pocket as opposed to the Gov. Richard has got me thinking. Mine and other half passports both expire next year. So if you are within 9 months of each other's passport expiration that doubles the money.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Hocuspocusblade is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a green card holder.
My UK passport is up for renewal in March 2011.
I have a B1/B2 visa 'cancelled without prejudice' stamp and also a temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residency for one year to.
Will this system work for me or am I wasting my time Richard?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hocuspocusblade
I am a green card holder.
My UK passport is up for renewal in March 2011.
Just renew your passport at the UK Embassy in DC. Are you so skint that you can't afford the extra $100... or do you prefer convoluted scenarios? You've got lots of time... do it now.

Ian
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Sadly I'm broke right now so can you loan me the 100 bucks?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

That's why credit cards were invented.

Ian
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't afford to renew your passport, then you can't afford to travel. In that case, you don't need a passport now, usually.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the sympathy!
Try to understand it from my perspective when you haven't seen your 72 year old mother or 19 year old son and 17 year old daughter in over a year, CRETINS!
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the sympathy!
Try to understand it from my perspective when you haven't seen your 72 year old mother or 19 year old son and 17 year old daughter in over a year, CRETINS!
It's not about being sympathetic or not, it's about making some fact-based observations. First, the saving of $100 will be reduced at least by half, if not more, by courier costs sending the passport to the UK and back, and secondly, the process is a lot more difficult unless you are physically in the UK for another reason. Second, the cost of plane tickets is a lot more than that of a passport.

From April 2011 the UK IPS will take over printing the passports from the Foreign Office and this might make some difference to passport costs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.