Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Removal / Shipping Companies. Can they store for you as well?

Removal / Shipping Companies. Can they store for you as well?

Old Nov 25th 2019, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

OldWindsor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removal / Shipping Companies. Can they store for you as well?

We are going to move into furnished accommodation whilst we search for a house to move into.

My question is, has anyone here had the removal company pack and start to ship without a final address then stored whilst they finalise the house?
Old Nov 25th 2019, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

scaly back is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Removal / Shipping Companies. Can they store for you as well?

Originally Posted by OldWindsor
We are going to move into furnished accommodation whilst we search for a house to move into.

My question is, has anyone here had the removal company pack and start to ship without a final address then stored whilst they finalise the house?
Hello,

I had something similar, stayed in a hotel for four months whilst the realtor sorted out accommodation. As soon as I chose the house the company got in contact with the shippers and they moved the stuff from storage to the new place. There will be a cost to the storage but compared to the shipping costs this is fairly negligible.

IIRC when they turned up to pack they just had the company address with instructions to hold until contacted for the last mile delivery. Shipping took about 6 weeks, which I'm told is fairly standard.

Best regards,

SB
Old Nov 26th 2019, 5:11 am
Just Joined

OldWindsor is an unknown quantity at this point

Great, thanks for the help.

who did you use for the move and storage?
Old Nov 26th 2019, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

scaly back is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OldWindsor
Great, thanks for the help.

who did you use for the move and storage?
The firm was contracted through my company, so I have no idea of costs. Looking at the packing list they are called Team Allied, though searching on the web for them they appear to have been renamed / taken over in the meantime. They seem to be called Team Relocation now.

When I used them they were pretty good, three bedroom house packed in half a day, with nothing damaged at the other end.

Best regards,
SB

Last edited by scaly back; Nov 26th 2019 at 12:30 pm. Reason: Horrible spelling
Old Nov 26th 2019, 1:27 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Shipping can take many weeks which might alleviate the need for storage. I think you need to talk to the shipper you use but not having a permanent address is not really the end of the world, so long as there is some address that can be put on the shipping documents for Customs purposes. Most shippers can work with you on this.

I would note that storage would be $$. Many shippers might charge a bit more than market rate for something like that, since they've kind of got you in a bind. You could look for a cheaper storage option when you arrive and then have it delivered there if you are still not settled.

When we moved, we changed the final delivery destination about a week before the cargo arrived. Wasn't that hard. I think it had address X on the documentation though and we delivered to address Y.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I would note that storage would be $$. Many shippers might charge a bit more than market rate for something like that, since they've kind of got you in a bind.
ISTR its called "Demurrage" - and its not cheap when shippers do it. We were going to be charged 100 bucks a DAY to store one of our containers at the docks.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

While 'removal company' seems to be the common term in the UK, 'moving company' is more typical in the US, so keep that in mind while searching. 'Removal' always struck me as odd - I'd expect to call a 'removal' company to get rid of a piece of junk or debris!

Storage places are very common in the US. Many offer cheap move-in deals, then quickly jack up rates once you are in since you are something of a captive audience. If you only plan to stay short-term, this is not a big deal. Prices vary based on location within the facility ... ground floor = expensive, upper floors / away from elevators = cheaper.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Silvergirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, really easy. We shipped an entire container and they stored it for us for a few months in LA. Cost about $300 per month only. Worked really well for us.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Robgdunn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello - FYI we have just been checking quotes to move a 20ft container to USA - Also checked as per this post the cost of storage
For reference and information the quote we got was $420.00 per month storage + $420.00 for putting into and taking out (ie $840.00 on top on each month stored)
Hope this makes sense