British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   REMO (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/remo-629343/)

mumstheword Sep 5th 2009 11:49 pm

REMO

Hi - does anyone have experience of applying for maintenance arrears from UK to the US? My ex owes thousands in arrears and I have submitted a claim through REMO with UK court order etc. It has now been 6 months since the application went to NY with no response. Does anyone have any ideas on timescale or if there is any more I could be doing?
Thanks all

SarahG Sep 6th 2009 6:50 am

Re: REMO

Originally Posted by mumstheword (Post 7907832)
Hi - does anyone have experience of applying for maintenance arrears from UK to the US? My ex owes thousands in arrears and I have submitted a claim through REMO with UK court order etc. It has now been 6 months since the application went to NY with no response. Does anyone have any ideas on timescale or if there is any more I could be doing?
Thanks all

I currently, well until Oct 16, work for the courts in the UK and I actually work as part of the enforcement team which includes fines and maintenance. I work on the fines side of things but sit with people who do the maintenance stuff. It you want to PM me I can make enquiries at work with the maintenance team when I am back in the office on Wednesday. My team covers Northamptonshire but I can get general advice for you and an idea of timescales.

robskatie Sep 6th 2009 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mumstheword (Post 7907832)
Thanks all

Strange you should post this as I was just about to ask the exact same question!!!! I am debating to make a claim through REMO as my ex has decided to not pay any child support what so ever but I have doubts as to how effective it will be, I kind of guessed it would take some time but 6 months and to hear nothing?! I will be curious to see how you get on with this.

Ray Sep 6th 2009 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by robskatie (Post 7908831)
Strange you should post this as I was just about to ask the exact same question!!!! I am debating to make a claim through REMO as my ex has decided to not pay any child support what so ever but I have doubts as to how effective it will be, I kind of guessed it would take some time but 6 months and to hear nothing?! I will be curious to see how you get on with this.

In my part of the world back in the 70s we just sent a baseball bat carrying
team of persuaders to visit ...always seemed to work ...

mumstheword Sep 6th 2009 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7909067)

hmmmm...sounds a good plan but New York is a bit far!!

unrelated Sep 6th 2009 8:45 pm

find anything with google if you look hard enough.... worryly.

Michael Sep 6th 2009 9:06 pm

The US signed a treaty with the UK in 2007 concerning child support enforcement. You probably should contact your Child Support Enforcement Office (IV-D Agency) at your local Department of Human Services for assistance. Do a web search for Department of Human Services with your home state.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/americanservices/?p=376

robskatie Sep 7th 2009 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7909067)

I wish!