Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocation packages 2009/2010: What's different?

Relocation packages 2009/2010: What's different?

Old Jan 17th 2010, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Joe1975 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation packages 2009/2010: What's different?

I searched myself and despite there is very valuable information available out there, I understand the question addressed in this thread might not have been answered in previous threads..... how the current financial climate has affected relocation packages and what's a fair one in this circumstances? what about the exchange rate to convert your salary into USD from GBP?

I would add for my own interest, how much room for negotiation is available nowadays? Anyone out there "recently" in the same situation moving from UK to US West Coast? Hopefully some more than $7.5K! ;-)

Many thanks

Last edited by Joe1975; Jan 17th 2010 at 4:00 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation packages 2009/2010: What's different?

Originally Posted by Joe1975
I searched myself and despite there is very valuable information available out there, I understand the question addressed in this thread might not have been answered in previous threads..... how the current financial climate has affected relocation packages and what's a fair one in this circumstances? what about the exchange rate to convert your salary into USD from GBP?

I would add for my own interest, how much room for negotiation is available nowadays? Anyone out there "recently" in the same situation moving from UK to US West Coast? Hopefully some more than $7.5K! ;-)

Many thanks
I don't think you can use the exchange rate as a basis for negotiating salary - you have to look at comparability to cost of living. The exchange rate has shifted from almost $2.00 to the £1.00, to now around $1.60 - that doesn't mean that a £50k UK earner would have been negotiating for a $100k salary 2 years ago, but now would negotiate for only $80k ... the cost of living in the US hasn't really changed any in 2 years.

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 17th 2010 at 6:13 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Penny Lane is an unknown quantity at this point

My relocation package is only $5,000. I was offered the job 2 years ago and because of retrogression will not be going anywhere fast.
I think this is not unusual for nurses under EB3 and for me there is no negotiation as regards wages, they are the same as they pay other RNs in the hospital.
I was offered pretty much what I was expecting for my profession as there is certainly no shortage of nurses wishing to re-locate to the US - they just can't.
You don't say what field you work in but If you are in high demand I suppose you have can try and negotiate, is there a agency involved or are you dealing direct with the company?
Jane

Last edited by Penny Lane; Jan 17th 2010 at 6:51 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

You have got a point..... I do agree this shall be based on cost of living in US instead of exchange rates but still use this as a tool to negotiate rest of the package
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

You have got a point..... I do agree this shall be based on cost of living in US instead of exchange rates but still use this as a tool to negotiate rest of the package
Yes, if it's going to cost £8,000 to ship your sh*t over to California, you'll need to use the exchange rate to know what to ask - but you might be able to simply negotiate the shipping, rather than a $$ amount (i.e., some employers may simply say "We'll pay to ship a 20ft container").

Other than UK-based expenses (shipping, estate agents fees for selling house, etc.), the rest of your relocation costs (initial accommodation, flights, rental car, realtor fees, etc.) will be in USD - so again, exchange rate has nothing to do with what you'd ask for.

Sometimes, it helps to turn the question around - ask them what the typical relocation package is for someone at your level coming from the UK.

And lastly, how much you ask for depends on your situation. For obvous reasons, a family of 6 will need more than a single guy... so depending on what people tell you on here that they got, you'll need to know what their situation was.

BTW, I got bugger all (about $3k), but then I don't work in the corporate world.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

That's the way to go. Get the company to pay all moving expenses on your behalf as part of the package.

My major concern is moving from UK contract to US payroll not being a US employee and then totally dependent on contract with my company to stay in the country as L1A visa terminates as soon as my employment relationship ends. Any cases of someone who stayes in UK contract until got their GC through their companies sponsorship prior to move to US payroll?

Cash allowances for settling expenses are almost a "must" so not expecting to look cheap when asking? I understand that in this current financial circumstances companies are more cautious and not willing to be so generous in cash allowances though

Considering asking for a conpany free credit line available to compensate lack of credit history in US. Anyone has ever asked/got this?

Thanks again!!!
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:37 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Also, not sure what the state of the law is now, but you could (in 2002) set any non-reimbursed moving expenses against income tax.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's the way to go. Get the company to pay all moving expenses on your behalf as part of the package.

My major concern is moving from UK contract to US payroll not being a US employee and then totally dependent on contract with my company to stay in the country as L1A visa terminates as soon as my employment relationship ends. Any cases of someone who stayes in UK contract until got their GC through their companies sponsorship prior to move to US payroll?

Cash allowances for settling expenses are almost a "must" so not expecting to look cheap when asking? I understand that in this current financial circumstances companies are more cautious and not willing to be so generous in cash allowances though

Considering asking for a conpany free credit line available to compensate lack of credit history in US. Anyone has ever asked/got this?

Thanks again!!!
My husband stayed employed by his UK company (with all UK benefits ie holidays, sick days etc) until we obtained our GC's...then he had to transfer to the US company.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help for exact figures, but some things still won't change that were mentioned in previous threads.

You'll still want to ask but might not get, emergency flight back to UK for sickness/death of family/friends

You'll still want them to cover cost of repatriating you if it doesn't work out, certainly if they make you redundant

You'll still want a minimum of a week hotel, probably a couple of weeks and it won't hurt to ask them to cover cost of a rental deposit or help with fees involved with selling/buying a home

Can't hurt to ask for a bit of cash to cover basic white goods

Car rental for the first week, can't hurt to ask for a months worth though

Depending on how senior the position is, can't hurt to ask them to have someone do your first/last years worth of taxes and these will be the most hassle, especially as relocation costs will possibly be taxed if given as cash for example.

How much a container goes for, no idea and no idea if they'll stump for it, but doesn't hurt to ask or at least to cover some of the costs even if it is the insurance and any related customs fee.

What you'll get though ultimately boils down to how senior you are, what the industry you are in is and how desperate they are to fill you position.

I know someone who moved to a microsoft studio get about $20K worth of costs paid for, this was around September/November, artist position.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for the valuable info

I believe except the cash allowance and the fact of remaining on a UK contract until I get my GC most of the above is pretty much in my package at the moment but good to check I am not missing any major thing

Hopefully I can add a few of your comments to the negotiation and get it signed. Otherwise a good redundancy package would do as well......

Looking forward to leave UK weather behind and enjoy sunny CA
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The following is Australia specific but gives a general guide:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Corpor...tion-Australia
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

I just came back to the forum after a short break. Our visas have been applied for and we are waiting to hear from the 'powers that be'. We are moving Scotland to Texas (hubby is L1A). Basically, we negotiated a quite decent package for us to move. First of all the exchange rate £ to $ for salary was $1.62. Fair enough. He has also retained UK holidays and accruals but gets the US bonus.

We have all shipping costs paid (estimated at $9,000) but could be more. Hubby has free rental apartment for 3 months (he moves out before we do). He has free use of a car until I arrive and we sit our driving tests etc...

We also have a payment to take account of what we are having to leave behind (electricals) and loss on sale of cars etc....

We have a flight home each year (there are 5 of us).

We have repatriation - just in case.

We have immediate medical cover - not after one month of work. Hubby is diabetic so this was a must.

The company is covering legal costs for all L visas plus GC applications as well.

All costs for London interview are covered.

They also covered one trip out to Texas - for househunting/schools etc..

They are covering all legal fees/estate agency fees for house sale in UK and also all realtor/closing costs for house purchase in Texas.

I think that is it.

It took a long time to work it out and talk it through. We wanted some other things, which they refused but then they offered us things which we did not expect.

Hubby signed off the agreement in December, so it is quite recent. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

sorry I should also have said that we have a relocation company helping us a well, although I have not had much contact with them yet.

As for credit, it seems that it is possible to get a mortgage and car loan even wihtout any US credit. Your employer can be asked to help out but the relocation companies are good at knowing where to go for these.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:34 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Lazzza
I just came back to the forum after a short break. Our visas have been applied for and we are waiting to hear from the 'powers that be'. We are moving Scotland to Texas (hubby is L1A). Basically, we negotiated a quite decent package for us to move. First of all the exchange rate £ to $ for salary was $1.62. Fair enough. He has also retained UK holidays and accruals but gets the US bonus.

We have all shipping costs paid (estimated at $9,000) but could be more. Hubby has free rental apartment for 3 months (he moves out before we do). He has free use of a car until I arrive and we sit our driving tests etc...

We also have a payment to take account of what we are having to leave behind (electricals) and loss on sale of cars etc....

We have a flight home each year (there are 5 of us).

We have repatriation - just in case.

We have immediate medical cover - not after one month of work. Hubby is diabetic so this was a must.

The company is covering legal costs for all L visas plus GC applications as well.

All costs for London interview are covered.

They also covered one trip out to Texas - for househunting/schools etc..

They are covering all legal fees/estate agency fees for house sale in UK and also all realtor/closing costs for house purchase in Texas.

I think that is it.

It took a long time to work it out and talk it through. We wanted some other things, which they refused but then they offered us things which we did not expect.

Hubby signed off the agreement in December, so it is quite recent. Hope this helps.
That looks pretty good. Your hubbie must be hot sh*t.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

He is a big loud Yorkshireman, which helps in the negotiation front! I just think you have to ask. If you don't ask, you don't get. Relocation companies do give employers who want their employees to relocate a realistic view of the costs involved, so they have been a godsend for us.

In our case, this was a choice thing. Not everyone is so fortunate and some are even more fortunate.

To the OP, sit down and make a list of what you think your costs will be. Try and include eveything, like buyng new electricals, getting kids vaccinations (if you have kids), increased costs of livng in US (medical etc..), loss on sale of cars, possible loss on sale of home, child care, etc,etc...

Then work out what you might need.

You will not get everything you want but it is a good idea to work out costs and put these to our employer.

At the end of the day, we are probably breaking even cost wise but then we appreciate that this will be a great experience for us as a family. So y o ave to balance this as well.

It took us weeks and weeks! And we had a lot of help from BE!! Good luck

Last edited by Lazzza; Jan 19th 2010 at 11:49 am. Reason: cant spell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.