Reload this Page >

Relocation with long term illness

Relocation with long term illness

Old Oct 8th 2022, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Buttonmoonuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation with long term illness

Hi all,

I work for a tech company in the UK but HQs in the US. My first manager when I joined relocated to the US three years ago and they have reached out to me, regarding roles they are hiring for.

Three years ago I was diagnosed with a rare genetic condition. Every twelve months I require endoscopy and colonoscopy, within the next 10 years possible operations.

The salary in the US is triple my UK salary, but the healthcare will be the decider.

How does it work? What should I be asking/looking for on the relocation package with healthcare insurance?

Many thanks
Old Oct 8th 2022, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Mez12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relocation with long term illness

Originally Posted by Buttonmoonuk
Hi all,

I work for a tech company in the UK but HQs in the US. My first manager when I joined relocated to the US three years ago and they have reached out to me, regarding roles they are hiring for.

Three years ago I was diagnosed with a rare genetic condition. Every twelve months I require endoscopy and colonoscopy, within the next 10 years possible operations.

The salary in the US is triple my UK salary, but the healthcare will be the decider.

How does it work? What should I be asking/looking for on the relocation package with healthcare insurance?

Many thanks
If you’re tripling your salary then it should be no issue.

From my experience US healthcare far exceeds the U.K.

If you require a lot of medical attention then look what the maximum out of pocket of their policies are.

If it’s a good medical plan it will offer most preventative medical treatments covered 100%. The company I’m at right now actually gives us two days off for colonoscopy and it’s covered fully by the insurance company.

Usually I’d suggest any HSA account a company offers but I doubt that would work for you if you know you’re going to use doctors/hospitals regularly.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 2:25 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Many thanks
You should ask the employer to provide you with the precise details of the coverage that they offer and who their insurance provider is -- it's not an exaggeration to say that every company offers something different. You need to see the handbook that comes with the policy and which describes exactly what is included -- you are entering the world of co-pays and deductibles. We can all surmise, but it's essential you see what the employer actually offers -- for example, it may be just a one-size fits all program, or you may have your choice of coverage at different premium price points. As the prior poster noted, the care itself will be excellent.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 4:59 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Your worst case scenario is likely to be having to pay the maximum deductible each year which for 2022 is $8,700. However, it is likely that the company plan will have a much smaller annual deductible, typically $3,000 or so, and preventative procedures are usually no cost to you. As others said look at the medical policy the company offers, but I don’t think health insurance will be a show stopper for you. And, as others have also said medical care is outstanding here, although it comes at a cost.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 5:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You should ask the employer to provide you with the precise details of the coverage that they offer and who their insurance provider is -- it's not an exaggeration to say that every company offers something different. You need to see the handbook that comes with the policy and which describes exactly what is included -- you are entering the world of co-pays and deductibles. We can all surmise, but it's essential you see what the employer actually offers -- for example, it may be just a one-size fits all program, or you may have your choice of coverage at different premium price points. As the prior poster noted, the care itself will be excellent.
Please don't assume that this healthcare provided at the time of hire will stay the same. Many companies will change healthcare providers and thus, the plans offered to the employee will differ, sometimes substantially.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 5:52 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Please don't assume that this healthcare provided at the time of hire will stay the same. Many companies will change healthcare providers and thus, the plans offered to the employee will differ, sometimes substantially.
In fact you can expect changes EVERY year. It is about time now for annual enrolment for my company, There are currently 2 options to choose from, and who knows what will be available for next year. The only thing to be sure of is it will not be cheaper than this year!
Old Oct 8th 2022, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Not just changes during annual enrollment but also when companies get bought out. My employer got bought by a large mega-corporation this year and our awesome health insurance is being replaced at the end of this year with the mediocre health insurance from the mega-corporation. *None* of the mega-corporation's health insurance plans in 2022 cover any sort of behavioral or speech therapy, nor does it cover *any* out-of-network medical providers. Zero. The employee premiums are also astronomical (~$850 per month for a family on the closest equivalent health plan, versus $0, which is what my colleagues and I currently pay) and the deductibles and OOP maxes are crazy high as well. Sad times.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Many thanks
I would take the opportunity if you are interested in living in the US. I have Barrett's disease which requires a bi-annual endoscopy and it's not that expensive plus you are sedated. If it's a tech company, you will no doubt have really good health insurance. From what I hear, in the UK, if you require sedation, you need to be admitted to the hospital. Colonoscopy and endoscopy are done at stand-alone facilities in the US, so you get out within 2 hrs of the procedure. Plus, the way the NHS is going, in 10 yrs, it might no longer exist!
Old Oct 8th 2022, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Buttonmoonuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much everyone, it’s really put my mind at ease.

Correct with current NHS, I use private medical via work to get appointments etc. It took the NHS 12 months to get my first colonoscopy, due waiting lists. Even though I was high risk, it’s crazy.

I will ask work for the medical insurance details this week for further reading.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 7:55 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
I would take the opportunity if you are interested in living in the US. I have Barrett's disease which requires a bi-annual endoscopy and it's not that expensive plus you are sedated. If it's a tech company, you will no doubt have really good health insurance. From what I hear, in the UK, if you require sedation, you need to be admitted to the hospital. Colonoscopy and endoscopy are done at stand-alone facilities in the US, so you get out within 2 hrs of the procedure. Plus, the way the NHS is going, in 10 yrs, it might no longer exist!
What is the basis of this statement? (bolded) Since that is the essence of the original question?
Old Oct 8th 2022, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
What is the basis of this statement? (bolded) Since that is the essence of the original question?
Maybe I should have qualified it with 'probably' but my experience is that tech companies do have great health insurance.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 10:16 pm
BE Irregular

Thank you so much everyone, it’s really put my mind at ease.

Correct with current NHS, I use private medical via work to get appointments etc. It took the NHS 12 months to get my first colonoscopy, due waiting lists. Even though I was high risk, it’s crazy.

I will ask work for the medical insurance details this week for further reading.
I hope you have really good insurance.
I work for a top 10 US Bank, and I consider the health insurance " not very good" in terms of cost and coverage.