Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating to the US on L1 visa

Relocating to the US on L1 visa

Old Feb 17th 2015, 7:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to the US on L1 visa

Originally Posted by Pwibble
Yes, but I didn't know they didn't have a US retail bank before I started asking them. ....
Might I recommend this thing we call "the internet", and a search tool called "Google" which will help you understand the world around you?
Old Feb 17th 2015, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

phodg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! I'm moving to Illinois, so it's blizzards for me I think.
Hopefully not. Although we are looking at sub-freezing temperatures for at least the next 10 days. Highs anywhere from 3F to a balmy 25F (about -16C to -4C). Bring a good coat.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your forthcoming move - exciting times! We moved here on L1/L2 visas just over six months ago.

1. We are planning to do a house finding trip for a week or so shortly before my planned move date. I'm hoping that with her US credit record, SSN and such we should be able to rent somewhere in the area to get us started. Is it realistic to get a house sorted in this time frame so I can come back to the UK, get my stuff shipped and then move?
We actually signed the lease on our house before we got here - with no US credit history! We had a friend view a couple, we applied explaining our situation (including a family "resume" and our UK Experian report). We had to glamp for some time while I stuff made it's long journey from Southampton to San Francisco, but it was fine!

2. In terms of international movers, I'm trying to get a quote out of Pickfords as they looked reasonable from their site, if anyone has dealt with them I'd appreciate hearing what you think. I'm moving from a 1 bed flat with no furniture, so I'm hoping it won't be too much.
We used Allied. No idea how competitive they are, as my husband's company footed the bill, but they were very good, very thorough and all but one pretty old and worthless vase arrived in one piece!

3. I understand they say to wait 10 days after you enter the US on the visa before applying for the SSN, so I won't be able to do it during the house finding trip. I was hoping to get a bank account opened though, is an SSN needed for this?
We applied on the day after we arrived, accompanied by our company-provided relocation agent, who stood in line from 8am to get us an early appointment! No problems at all and SSN arrived a couple of weeks later. Although some banks may let you open a bank account without a SSN, ours wouldn't (presumably because its checking account is interest-bearing). However, we managed with our brokerage account that we'd opened before arriving in the weeks while we waited for the required SSN.