Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Houston in Jan'13...

Relocating to Houston in Jan'13...

Old Sep 21st 2012, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

fadeaway531 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating to Houston in Jan'13...

Hi, hope everyone is well. My family & I are about to make the daunting move of relocating to Houston, TX. We are moving in Jan'13 and have started preparations.

If there is anyone here with knowledge of Houston, I'd certainly be grateful for some advice in the following areas....

a) Schooling. We have two daughters (8 & 3). We are thinking of sending the eldest daughter to the British School of Houston. The pro's are the consistency of the GCSE curriculum and being with children in a similar situation to her while the main cons are the fact she won't be interacting with American children and the cost of it (around $20k per year). Has anyone experience of the British School of Houston? If not, any particular schools you can recommend in Houston?

b) Obviously it is dependent on the schooling but any areas of Houston you would recommend living in? We are looking at perhaps Katy or The Woodlands. Any thoughts on these places?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Rob
Old Sep 21st 2012, 8:55 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Houston in Jan'13...

Originally Posted by fadeaway531
Hi, hope everyone is well. My family & I are about to make the daunting move of relocating to Houston, TX. We are moving in Jan'13 and have started preparations.

If there is anyone here with knowledge of Houston, I'd certainly be grateful for some advice in the following areas....

a) Schooling. We have two daughters (8 & 3). We are thinking of sending the eldest daughter to the British School of Houston. The pro's are the consistency of the GCSE curriculum and being with children in a similar situation to her while the main cons are the fact she won't be interacting with American children and the cost of it (around $20k per year). Has anyone experience of the British School of Houston? If not, any particular schools you can recommend in Houston?

b) Obviously it is dependent on the schooling but any areas of Houston you would recommend living in? We are looking at perhaps Katy or The Woodlands. Any thoughts on these places?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Rob
Where will you be working? Commute time can be key in Houston. You probably want to look for somewhere close to work to live, then look at schools that are close by otherwise you'll spend all of your time in the car.

Conversely you could live close to good schools and put up with the commute, but it really can be bad. If your work hours are flexible and you can avoid the worst of the rush hours than that does make life a bit easier and would potentially open up more options.

Last edited by Bink; Sep 21st 2012 at 9:36 pm. Reason: grammar
Old Sep 21st 2012, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Sorry no help on Houston.

I am assuming if you are thinking of a British school you aren't intending on staying in the US long?! I moved over a year ago when my children were 10, 8 and 4 yrs old, all went to the local school/pre-k and settled really well

Good luck with your move
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:58 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Bink, where you are working is key. The woodlands and Katy are very far apart. Both are nice. Both wouldnt be as nice if you had an hour plus commute every day IMO.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 11:32 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Agree with Bink, where you are working is key. The woodlands and Katy are very far apart. Both are nice. Both wouldnt be as nice if you had an hour plus commute every day IMO.
Neither are particuarly close to the British School either which is worth bearing in mind too.

I'm still at work right now, primarily because if I left I would sit for an hour in traffic (just getting towards the end of rush hour to be fair). I live North of Katy towards Cypress and work in the Galleria area. Commute in from Katy to I-10/Energy corridor is pretty good by Houston standards. Galleria area gets busy at the I-10/610/59 interchanges at morning rush hour and then from early afternoon onwards.

If work is in the Energy corridor or Galleria areas then Katy is the most convenient option though parts of Sugar Land are fairly easily accesible too.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:45 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you will live in Cypress!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 1:02 am
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Well if you will live in Cypress!
We're happy here. If they'd only hurry along and fix 290 like I-10 then all will be dandy(er)!

We chose Cypress for several reasons but most notably it's a lot closer to my wife's parents who are in Jersey Village. Katy was just a little further from them than we'd have liked (free babysitting!!)
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Much here in Houston depends on where you work. Hubby works in EC and we live in the Lakes of Eldridge Communities. We have a bus to the British School... And hubby's commute is about 10 minutes.

Moving to Houston isn't daunting at all! It's a big place but easy. Just truly try to live near where you work unless you like traffic and long commutes. If you are working in Woodlands, then consider it. Otherwise, it is too far!
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 6:26 am
Just Joined

fadeaway531 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of the responses! I'll be working in the West Sam Houston area. I know that living in Katy or The Woodlands will be quite a long commute but it's balancing convenience for me with my family being comfortable and happy and I think they'd settle a lot better in a more village-like environment. We will be having a trip out there next month for them to look around though.

Last edited by fadeaway531; Sep 22nd 2012 at 6:51 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:48 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me, or is Houston attracting unusual amounts of Brits? What is the attraction? Not that I am planning to move.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 7:53 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Is it just me, or is Houston attracting unusual amounts of Brits? What is the attraction? Not that I am planning to move.
Houston is known for its oil biz. Maybe with the North Sea wells running out people are relocating.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 8:04 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Houston is known for its oil biz. Maybe with the North Sea wells running out people are relocating.
Did not know that! Cheers
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 9:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's also the centre of the US renewable energy industry it seems, as well as oil/gas - hubby gets headhunters trying to entice him to the US on a weekly basis, and 90% of the jobs are in Houston.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:29 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

There is a shortage of people in oil and gas, and Houston is the global hub.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 12:37 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
There is a shortage of people in oil and gas, and Houston is the global hub.
Yep. Houston has become the most competitive salary market in O&G as a result.

The majority of the project teams for the rest of world are based out of Houston, even if the projects are in say West Africa. There's an awful lot of work about at the moment - every company I know is slammed right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.