Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating Dog-DIY or Company?

Relocating Dog-DIY or Company?

Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:20 pm
"Ignore Imbecile replies"

florida12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relocating Dog-DIY or Company?

I have 2 Chihuahuas. Was going to do this myself but seems so complicated. They both just had their annual booster jabs. Both microchipped. No passport. Had a full health check last month. Both fine. May need rabies shot, for travelling into USA? (Not sure)
They both have their own crates, but not sure if, the size is allowed.
Was thinking of going through a carrier and petair uk, seems to be the ideal choice according to this thread.
Would like to do it myself to save money, but worried I will do it all wrong or forget something important then on the day of the move, it goes all wrong.
For the ones who had used petairuk, did you leave your dogs at their base office the night before your move? Or they got dropped off by yourself before you caught your flight on that actual day? A lot to think of as I am so concerned that they will be taken care of and not be afraid of being away from me and their surroundings. I know it helps to bring with them their fave blanket and toy with them on their crate during the flight. Which will be 10.5 hours to San Diego. Direct via BA. I would really appreciate any advice on this from previous or current pet owners who are relocating their loveable furry family members along with them. Thanks guys.

Last edited by florida12; Sep 25th 2015 at 9:23 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by NatashaB
We also used Pet Air UK and were very happy with them. We used their cheaper option which meant we did the vets paperwork ourselves, it was pretty straightforward.
What did the vet paperwork entail to do yourself? And how much was it total, if you don't mind me asking although, I believe the size of the dog makes the difference in the costs.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florida12
I have 2 Chihuahuas. Was going to do this myself but seems so complicated. They both just had their annual booster jabs. Both microchipped. No passport. Had a full health check last month. Both fine. May need rabies shot, for travelling into USA? (Not sure)
Are their rabies shots up to date? If not, you should certainly get the shots done before bringing the dogs to the US, so that they are protected from the word go. In the US, you will also need to get Lyme shots and ensure they are on heartworm medication.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Are their rabies shots up to date? If not, you should certainly get the shots done before bringing the dogs to the US, so that they are protected from the word go. In the US, you will also need to get Lyme shots and ensure they are on heartworm medication.
never had one, but my vet said 3 weeks ago that, If I am to relocate them both to the USA then Rabies shot would be advisable. They both have the flea drops that protects against lung worm etc. Advocate..
Do need to get the lyme shots and heartworm here before I leave the UK?
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

They both have their own crates, but not sure if, the size is allowed.
Was thinking of going through a carrier and petair uk, seems to be the ideal choice according to this thread.
Would like to do it myself to save money, but worried I will do it all wrong or forget something important then on the day of the move, it goes all wrong.
For the ones who had used petairuk, did you leave your dogs at their base office the night before your move? Or they got dropped off by yourself before you caught your flight on that actual day? A lot to think of as I am so concerned that they will be taken care of and not be afraid of being away from me and their surroundings. I know it helps to bring with them their fave blanket and toy with them on their crate during the flight. Which will be 10.5 hours to San Diego. Direct via BA. I would really appreciate any advice on this from previous or current pet owners who are relocating their loveable furry family members along with them. Thanks guys.

Check what the state regs are...most likely you don't have to get rabies shots for entry into the US. If you do decide to get them done in the UK...check what type of vaccine the state requires i.e. live vaccine. If they have the wrong type they will have to get the correct shots when they are in the US.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Check what the state regs are...most likely you don't have to get rabies shots for entry into the US. If you do decide to get them done in the UK...check what type of vaccine the state requires i.e. live vaccine. If they have the wrong type they will have to get the correct shots when they are in the US.
Thank you. I think i will give petairuk a call & ask them what needs doing. I would like to do this myself to save money but since my dogs are 'toy' breed as they are known for it may not cost too much.
I like to get an answer on the 'DIY' option. Vets questionaire..
Thanks again
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

never had one, but my vet said 3 weeks ago that, If I am to relocate them both to the USA then Rabies shot would be advisable. They both have the flea drops that protects against lung worm etc. Advocate..
Do need to get the lyme shots and heartworm here before I leave the UK?
Although the rabies shots may not be required for entry, I would certainly get them in advance so the dogs are protected when they arrive. As JG said, check the type of vaccine your state mandates. I am out of date when it comes to knowing if Lyme shots are offered in the UK. If they aren't, locate a vet and get Lyme and heartworm protection going asap when you arrive. Heartworm requires a blood test prior to starting medication (usually a monthly chew pill).
Old Sep 25th 2015, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Although the rabies shots may not be required for entry, I would certainly get them in advance so the dogs are protected when they arrive. As JG said, check the type of vaccine your state mandates. I am out of date when it comes to knowing if Lyme shots are offered in the UK. If they aren't, locate a vet and get Lyme and heartworm protection going asap when you arrive. Heartworm requires a blood test prior to starting medication (usually a monthly chew pill).
Nutmegger this is very useful to know & ask petairuk when i call them in advance before going to the vet. Thank you!
Old Sep 25th 2015, 10:03 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger this is very useful to know & ask petairuk when i call them in advance before going to the vet. Thank you!
Not sure how Petair is going to help you decide what to do -- these items are your call. Check the web for US entry requirements and state veterinary statutes re the rabies shots and take it from there. The Lyme and the heartworm are not something you will need for entry, just things you need to be very aware of as a US pet parent.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 10:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I think i will give petairuk a call & ask them what needs doing. I would like to do this myself to save money but since my dogs are 'toy' breed as they are known for it may not cost too much.
I like to get an answer on the 'DIY' option. Vets questionaire..
Thanks again
I agree with Nutmegger...best to check with the state rather than petairuk.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 2:14 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Dogs | Bringing an Animal into U.S. | Importation | CDC

You must check the regulations of the state you are bringing your dogs into. For example, the CDC regulations state that rabies vaccine is not required for bringing dogs from the UK to the USA ......BUT Texas regulations require it and so your dog must have it prior to arriving in Texas.

There is an international vet certificate of health which can be completed by your vet - most airlines will require this.

We brought our dog - you need to check the airline policy and the regulations of the state you are entering.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Dogs | Bringing an Animal into U.S. | Importation | CDC

You must check the regulations of the state you are bringing your dogs into. For example, the CDC regulations state that rabies vaccine is not required for bringing dogs from the UK to the USA ......BUT Texas regulations require it and so your dog must have it prior to arriving in Texas.

There is an international vet certificate of health which can be completed by your vet - most airlines will require this.

We brought our dog - you need to check the airline policy and the regulations of the state you are entering.

So in my case...i check with the California / San Diego regulations then?
I hadn't realised there's a website to check for each state. I just google CDC?
In addition... Fit for flight certificate.
One of my dogs has an acute travel sickness/anxiety in the car, how will she manage on a plane? Do they offer mild sedatives to animals who are nervous travellers or is that not offered any longer?
Thanks for the heads up. Valuable info & insight of doing this. Thank you all.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 4:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

So in my case...i check with the California / San Diego regulations then?
I hadn't realised there's a website to check for each state. I just google CDC?
In addition... Fit for flight certificate.
One of my dogs has an acute travel sickness/anxiety in the car, how will she manage on a plane? Do they offer mild sedatives to animals who are nervous travellers or is that not offered any longer?
Thanks for the heads up. Valuable info & insight of doing this. Thank you all.
Nope...the vets I have spoken to would not sedate a dog...no way...no how. I had a tiny 3lb Chi...there is no way I would have transported her in the hold of a plane. Some US airlines will allow one small dog per passenger to be carried in the cabin out of a UK airport. Failing that I would have flown via Europe...i.e. air France and taken her as hand luggage in the cabin...or trans Atlantic via Cunard. Domestic US and Canadian airlines routinely carry small dogs in the cabin...but only 1 per passenger.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 26th 2015 at 4:10 am.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Nope...the vets I have spoken to would not sedate a dog...no way...no how. I had a tiny 3lb Chi...there is no way I would have transported her in the hold of a plane. Some US airlines will allow one small dog per passenger to be carried in the cabin out of a UK airport. Failing that I would have flown via Europe...i.e. air France and taken her as hand luggage in the cabin...or trans Atlantic via Cunard. Domestic US and Canadian airlines routinely carry small dogs in the cabin...but only 1 per passenger.
I read somewhere that they may not offer sedatives any longer, i would like both my chi's to be 'aware' during flight but was concerned about the anxious one.. its only myself traveling so, they both would have to be in the hold. Petairuk..once told me, when enquiring back in the summer that, toy breeds/ small dogs have always been fine on arrivals...but that doesn't stop me being worried. I have to do a direct flight to ease the stress of the journey for them both..
Thanks for confirming the sedation query. 😊
Old Sep 26th 2015, 4:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I read somewhere that they may not offer sedatives any longer, i would like both my chi's to be 'aware' during flight but was concerned about the anxious one.. its only myself traveling so, they both would have to be in the hold. Petairuk..once told me, when enquiring back in the summer that, toy breeds/ small dogs have always been fine on arrivals...but that doesn't stop me being worried. I have to do a direct flight to ease the stress of the journey for them both..
Thanks for confirming the sedation query. 😊
Any longer?? We moved in '96 and our vet refused to sedate then!

You could look into using a shared private jet service. It maybe cheaper to buy a friend a return ticket to the UK...so both dogs can be in the cabin. You need to research airlines and costs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.