Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating with Cats

Relocating with Cats

Old Sep 12th 2019, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Louisemay44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating with Cats

I'm relocating from the UK to our Meriden office (CT) and I have two house cats who I've had since they were 12 weeks and will be 9 in November. I'm exploring the relocation options and wondered if anyone had any recommendations of company's used to relocate their cats.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating with Cats

Originally Posted by Louisemay44
I'm relocating from the UK to our Meriden office (CT) and I have two house cats who I've had since they were 12 weeks and will be 9 in November. I'm exploring the relocation options and wondered if anyone had any recommendations of company's used to relocate their cats.
Hi Louise,
Have you seen this article ?
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Bringing_Pets

Old Sep 23rd 2019, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Louise,

I flew my cat, Ted, to Newark Airport from London Heathrow 2.5 years ago. We flew with Virgin Airlines and I could not have been more pleased with the experience (Ted was pretty livid, but he survived the ordeal and has thrived ever since). I did not use any kind of special (expensive!) pet-shipping, middle-man company, and did not suffer for it. With a good, knowledgeable vet and an experienced airline, you and your cats will be absolutely fine.

Here is my thread, which details my experience should it be of any interest to you. Lots of information in there about fees, pet passports, vaccinations, the journey itself, etc. Good luck to you!
Old Sep 24th 2019, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Virgin, we waved goodbye to our cat at 6am, met them an hour after leaving the airport at the other end (had to go to Custom's first to get them released before returning to Cargo). Just needed to get a specific carrier case for them to use in the plane. They flew sandwiched between a dog and some fish.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

+1 vote for Virgin. Flew my boy from Gatwick to Orlando in November 2016 and they were great. I echo everything the above two posters have said.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

richyje7727 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also doing the same with 2 dogs. Many of the Airlines force you to use the expensive middle men (pet transport companies) to transport pets. I am transferring them from london to Houston and had quotes of 1400 gbp. Luftansa seem to allow you to bring them along for less than half that cost.