Religion

Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

FL2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Religion

I am not a resident of the USA as other posters are, but am curious as to how the British ex-pats view religion in the USA? I amazed at the number of churches, there seem to be as many churches here as pubs in the UK! What are peoples experiences, opinions, has anyone converted to a certain faith or left a certain faith?
This I find this to be relevant as I had no idea religion was so ingrained in society here before I came here.

Peace to all.
Dr. Singh
Old Oct 15th 2003, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I was amazed that for such a religious country, the US has no patrin saint. I would suggest St Jude myself.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:11 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Religion

Originally posted by FL2003
I am not a resident of the USA as other posters are, but am curious as to how the British ex-pats view religion in the USA? I amazed at the number of churches, there seem to be as many churches here as pubs in the UK! What are peoples experiences, opinions, has anyone converted to a certain faith or left a certain faith?
This I find this to be relevant as I had no idea religion was so ingrained in society here before I came here.

Peace to all.
Dr. Singh

Especially in the South. When we first got here all of our neighbors offered to take us to their church, fortunatley (or unfortunatly) we are both catholic so went to the Catholic church which is full of ex New Yorkers (and other northerners).

Religion, like everything else in America, is a money making business. Once they have you they are constantly asking for cash and contributions - its like a God Tax!

I feel they take it a lot more seriously over here, I never used to feel in the UK (or anywhere else) as bashed by the bible as I do here.

Television Evangalists are the worst, there is one called Jack Van Imp and I highly recommend you watch him at least once. He blames the EU for all the worlds problems and finds the answer to everything in the bible (using obscure quotes to his own advantage) and his sidekick is a ... well you'll just have to watch it.

There is another one called Jim Whittington and his tent of miracles!

As I have always been religious it has never bothered me, especially how "fanatical" (for want of a better word) people are about Jesus (God doesn't seem to get much of a look in, its all about Jesus!) everyone is. Well at least the bumper sticker people are making money from it

Patrick
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

FL2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Patrick
Especially in the South. When we first got here all of our neighbors offered to take us to their church, fortunatley (or unfortunatly) we are both catholic so went to the Catholic church which is full of ex New Yorkers (and other northerners).

Religion, like everything else in America, is a money making business. Once they have you they are constantly asking for cash and contributions - its like a God Tax!

I feel they take it a lot more seriously over here, I never used to feel in the UK (or anywhere else) as bashed by the bible as I do here.

Television Evangalists are the worst, there is one called Jack Van Imp and I highly recommend you watch him at least once. He blames the EU for all the worlds problems and finds the answer to everything in the bible (using obscure quotes to his own advantage) and his sidekick is a ... well you'll just have to watch it.

There is another one called Jim Whittington and his tent of miracles!

As I have always been religious it has never bothered me, especially how "fanatical" (for want of a better word) people are about Jesus (God doesn't seem to get much of a look in, its all about Jesus!) everyone is. Well at least the bumper sticker people are making money from it

Patrick

Sir,
Thank you for your interesting reply. I have seen television vicars like you mention and find them to be unbelievable with their claims and promises of eternal life-all for $100.00!!!. May i ask if you found it to be offensive to you personally when propositioned to join their church?

Do you know if religion is so pervasive across the USA? How about life for Hindu's, Muslim's, or other faiths?

Thank you!
Dr. Singh
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:37 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

How about life for Hindu's, Muslim's, or other faiths?
These are religions that are practised in clusters, as they are not the main stream (american) religions they are practised in areas where there are high numbers. Philadelphia and Toronto have huge Muslim and Hindu populations, SJ has a high cluster but I would doubt you find a muslim or hindu temple Idaho!

The biggest religion in the US (by numbers) is Catholic, followed by (in no particular order) Anglican, Baptist and Jewish but it is all geographic. Chicago, NYC and Boston have huge numbers of catholics because there immigrants mainly come from Italy and Ireland. Miami again is catholic because of South Americans. Knoxville is Baptist, parts of philadelphia has huge mulim numbers.

Patrick
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:56 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Sir,
Thank you for your interesting reply. I have seen television vicars like you mention and find them to be unbelievable with their claims and promises of eternal life-all for $100.00!!!. May i ask if you found it to be offensive to you personally when propositioned to join their church?

Do you know if religion is so pervasive across the USA? How about life for Hindu's, Muslim's, or other faiths?

Thank you!
Dr. Singh
In the Triangle where I live, there is a sizeable number of residents from the Indian subcontinent or of those faiths. There are places of worship for them here and it's probably not surprising that the better Indian restaurants are clustered near these places of worship.

I shop at some of the Indian foodstores that have sprung up round the Triangle. They sell halal meat (frozen) too.

As for Jewish residents, I've noticed synagogues in my area.

However Christianity dominates the South although there is an official separation of church and state. So, the state run alcohol stores (ABC stores) aren't open on Sundays and stores open around midday on Sundays too.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I always enjoy watching the MC Hammer ministrys. And yes, I am being serious, he does have his own religious TV show.

I've never been interested in religion, but the family I have married into are. They are Lutherans, and from what I can make out, its a fairly laidback religion compared to others. Fortunately, my wife doesnt go to church, so therefore, I am not dragged into it. Both my mother in law and one of her sons are heavily involved in their local church, which is where I got married I might add. Their religion is never force fed to me though, and the only time it is ever brought up, is during dinner like thanks giving and recently at a funneral I had to attend, where they prayed before meals.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:04 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Never really had much of a problem with fanatics. There is a very large Catholic church near me, been away from the faith for a few years and I've often thought about going there.

TV evangelists are hilarious though. Genesis wrote a song about American ones called Jesus He Knows Me.

"If ya wanna be closer to HIM get on ya knees and start paying!"
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:29 pm
Pagan Sex God

Two weeks ago I went out for a meal with a lot of my neighbors, there was 22 people at the table and when the food came we all held hands and said grace. I think if you even suggested doing that in the UK never mind did it you would be ridiculed.

Patrick

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I always enjoy watching the MC Hammer ministrys. And yes, I am being serious, he does have his own religious TV show.

I've never been interested in religion, but the family I have married into are. They are Lutherans, and from what I can make out, its a fairly laidback religion compared to others. Fortunately, my wife doesnt go to church, so therefore, I am not dragged into it. Both my mother in law and one of her sons are heavily involved in their local church, which is where I got married I might add. Their religion is never force fed to me though, and the only time it is ever brought up, is during dinner like thanks giving and recently at a funneral I had to attend, where they prayed before meals.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Two weeks ago I went out for a meal with a lot of my neighbors, there was 22 people at the table and when the food came we all held hands and said grace. I think if you even suggested doing that in the UK never mind did it you would be ridiculed.

Patrick
I strongly agree.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 10:25 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Who is Grace?
Old Oct 16th 2003, 1:57 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Observation from Visiting Churches

During my visits to/since living in the US, I have observed interesting things during my visits to church (I'm not a church goer).

In the Catholic churches I've attended, when it comes to the hymns, the congregation far from raise the roof. In fact, if it weren't for the choir, you probably could hear a pin drop. Also, there were very few young (under 10s) in the congregation at all the Catholic services I've attended.

However, at Lutheran and Episcopal services I've attended in my area, the congregation really sings with gusto. It's quite moving.

I've no idea why the Catholics didn't sing.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 16th 2003, 2:16 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Methodist by upbringing (though fortunately not strict - my grandparents were the last ones to sign the pledge) I've not been a regular chapelgoer for about 3 decades. My wife is Buddhist, and if I had to pick up a religion now, I'd be tempted to go the same way as it does seem to be a fairly sensible, laid back recipe for life.

When we moved here, I was amazed to find how often people would ask me, at very first meeting, which church I went to. This ranged from the car salesman to a handyman we had round to do some jobs, to neighbours, to just about everybody! To avoid any in depth religious conversations, and with some odd desire not to be branded a total heathen, I said we went to the Buddhist temple, which we do from time to time. It tended to shut people up straight away.

The odd thing is, that today my wife started a conversation along the lines of "I think we should start going to church"!!!! I am now convinced that it is something they put in the water (presumably the same stuff that was killing all my sons fish!). Quite a few of our non-US friends seem to have started going to one church or another, in most cases not because of any deep religious feelings, but to try to 'conform', for want of a better word. Most of them are quite scathing about their ministers who from the sounds of it preach 20% on religion and 80% on why the congregation should hand over larger wadges of cash to build a bigger and better church (this is Texas - things have to be big!)
Old Oct 16th 2003, 2:47 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Quite a few of our non-US friends seem to have started going to one church or another, in most cases not because of any deep religious feelings, but to try to 'conform', for want of a better word. Most of them are quite scathing about their ministers who from the sounds of it preach 20% on religion and 80% on why the congregation should hand over larger wadges of cash to build a bigger and better church (this is Texas - things have to be big!)
Yes! I know what you mean. My husband who has never gone to church willingly, suggested we start attending after we'd been here a few months. He thought it would be a good way to meet people and make friends.
We didn't go. I don't go to church for religion and I'm definitely not going just to be social and conform.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

MarsBar will become famous soon enoughMarsBar will become famous soon enough

When I last lived in California (my high school days) I lived in an area dominated (probably 99.8%) by the godsquad.

All the people I met in the area were the nicest people you could possibly hope to meet, but dont even think about getting into a conversation about religion if you dont practice 7 days of the week. I found myself unitentionally pissing off a lot of my friends because I simply didnt believe in god and didnt want to convert. They tried to get me to go to their church gatherings and on occassion I did, purely for social reasons and to be around my friends.

I didnt make fun of their religion and even tried to reassure them that I was happy that they had a positive influence in their life which made them strive to be good people. But it always seemed to me that it wasnt good enough because I just DIDNT get what they were into. God forbid I ever mention Dinosaurs and the Bible in that town again.

The US is very religocentric (ha! I made a word! *highfives myself*) and in many ways this is fantastic. Friendly neighbours and communities working with simmilar goals. However it can also be a bad thing when people stop respecting eachother's views, opinions or belifs. This is true no matter where you go.

Im living in the UK right now and I feel quite comfortable with the relaxed attitudes towards religion and social behaviour. For example, the BEEB can transmit shows containing the word "****" after the watershed. Try and get that kind of language on ABC, NBC or CBS and you'd be looking for a fight with the godsquad, pal. :lecture:

A prime example of religious attitudes affecting whats socially acceptable is the fact that sex is widly embraced in all of its (legal & concenting) kicks and trips in the UK, but things like porno flicks and openly practiced BDSM in the states have been condemed by the more religious americans until quite recently. Things like this have been seen as immoral and therefore socially unaccepable for ANYONE in America to participate in - because chapelgoers say so.

People in the UK arent as religiously active and thus you get shows like "The Brazillian Porn Industry" and "Porn: A Family Business" (admitedly from the states) on channel 5 just after prime time TV. Tell me if Im wrong but thats not even HBO quality programming.

*gets off my soapbox now*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.