Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering at a school

Registering at a school

Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

tuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nice
Default Registering at a school

Hi all,
Returning in July....not sure where to, fancy a change
My question is: I have a 5yr old that i need to get registerd at school, would have started last Sept but as we came here he did not. Q: can i get them into the very first year(not sure what that is called in the UK) AND is that ft or pt?
ALSO, if we get settiled in Aug will i be able to contact any of the schools to enrol or will they all be closed until Sept?
Many thanks!
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering at a school

Depending on your child's birth date may depend on what is offered. I think you want him to start in Reception Year? His birthdate might dictate Year One but if he has not yet done any schooling, then I would not see a major issue with Reception if that is what you wanted.

The schools may or may not have staff on site in August - suggest that might be hit and miss. So you would need to contact your Education Authority anyway. Be aware that 'good' schools will no doubt be full or oversubscribed. If you are adamant on one particular school you may be placed on a waiting list - I guess some kids move house or just don't turn up in September as expected!

If you are looking at various areas have a look at the Ofsted reports and Tables (and then take with a pinch of salt ). I'm not sure what a direct web link is but I always go in via the Education page on the BBC website here and you can type in the name of the school you are interested and follow other links from there.

HTH - and no doubt others will be along soon. Good luck
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

tuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nice

Originally Posted by ann m
Depending on your child's birth date may depend on what is offered. I think you want him to start in Reception Year? His birthdate might dictate Year One but if he has not yet done any schooling, then I would not see a major issue with Reception if that is what you wanted.

The schools may or may not have staff on site in August - suggest that might be hit and miss. So you would need to contact your Education Authority anyway. Be aware that 'good' schools will no doubt be full or oversubscribed. If you are adamant on one particular school you may be placed on a waiting list - I guess some kids move house or just don't turn up in September as expected!

If you are looking at various areas have a look at the Ofsted reports and Tables (and then take with a pinch of salt ). I'm not sure what a direct web link is but I always go in via the Education page on the BBC website here and you can type in the name of the school you are interested and follow other links from there.

Thanks for that. He is 5 this July - is it true that LEGALLY you have to send kids to school the term following their 5th Birthday? If thats the case it would be Sept.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

OK - technically he would normally be in Year One. But he would be just about the youngest in that year. I can't see any issue with putting him in Reception.

Different people have differing opinions, but I regularly heard that the really young ones were often behind and struggling to keep up, apart from being absolutely knackered! (bear in mind that a few kids in Reception will literally have just turned 4, where others will almost immediately turn 5 - that's a big difference). 'Tis up to you. I think it's the "must get on" attitude in the UK that puts some kids into school far too early, and parents either don't feel brave enough to go against what everyone else is doing, or possibly feel pressurised by society and Education Authorities to comply with the norm, ie, enter school at 4. There is also pressure from some quarters to get the kids into school as early as possible because of work pressures, or just to 'get rid of them' or because of child-care costs. None are right or wrong - and it often depends on the child anyway but I rarely heard of parents bucking the trends

I think you are right about the 'legally' bit, but await confirmation from anyone else.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 1:47 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

my sons birthday is end of july. this year he will be 5. He has yet to start school in the US - but would have been in reception for 1 year back in the uk.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ann m

Quite right schools will be shut here but you can not apply through schools themselves you must apply through the Local Education Authority in which you are going to live. Difficult as you say you do not know where you are going yet and you have to have an address to apply. People have recently been prosecuted here for claiming to live in another address, say grans house, to get into a better school councils dont like this and is illegal.

Just go the likely council website which is always town/city name .gov.uk and look for the primary education link.

All kids in the UK have long since been offered their school place for September so you will be offered whatever is left, which may not be what you want, depends on the area you live in. You can however apply to change this the following school year, specially if you move house after living in temp accomodation.

This all only applys of course if you're sending your child to Council schools, if you want to go private the schools interview and offer places themselves.