Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Registering with a school

Registering with a school

Old Dec 8th 2006, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice
Default Registering with a school

I am aiming to bring my 8 year old son over from the UK, probably to New Jersey.

Can anyone advise what information I would need to bring in order to get him registered. i.e. Immunisation records, old school report perhaps?

Secondly is it usually quite easy to get a school place, or are the schools generally packed out? If so how long are the waiting periods?

many thanks.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

valscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond reputevalscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering with a school

When we registered the girls in school in PA we had to provide their immunisation records, dental records and proof of residency for the school catchment area. Look up NJ state education department and you'll get a general idea of which immunisations your son should have had by now and get them done in the UK if possible. Where we are the kids are vaccinated for Hep B, which is a 3 injection process over a 6 month time period and not routinely given in the UK. They wouldn't accept our UK dental exam so we had to get another one done here but again if he needs any work done, do it in the UK. They also vaccinate for chicken pox but since our two had had it, that was OK. To be honest all of the above is quite a good thing because if you are in the situation in the future if you go for LPR he needs to have all this done ( with the exception of Hep B and that might be yet another quirk of PA)
As far as difficulty in registering I think it comes down to making sure you choose a good school district and live in the school catchment area where you want your son to attend. Lastly I think if you can give them as much information as you can about his schooling to date it can only be a good thing. Hope this is helpful.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Majj
I am aiming to bring my 8 year old son over from the UK, probably to New Jersey.

Can anyone advise what information I would need to bring in order to get him registered. i.e. Immunisation records, old school report perhaps?

Secondly is it usually quite easy to get a school place, or are the schools generally packed out? If so how long are the waiting periods?

many thanks.
hiya

jerseygirl is from nj and she'll be looking in later and no doubt can help with the school info.

good luck
Old Dec 8th 2006, 12:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hiya

jerseygirl is from nj and she'll be looking in later and no doubt can help with the school info.

good luck

Here I am...good morning TruBrit.

You need to get your son's immunisation records from your doctor. It is state law that all children have a medical check up and all required immunisations are up to date before a child is allowed to start the school year. Therefore every summer your child will need a medical check up.

My daughter went to private school so requirements may not be the same as a state school...she was 11 when we moved here. A form was sent to the UK school, which had to be completed and returned. It was general information about the child's attitude, performance etc plus grades, subjects studied etc. They asked to see text books and written work for the last 12 months. She had to attend an interview at the school...so did we.

My daughter adjusted to school here very easily and made friends quickly. I am not aware of any bullying etc 'cos she was 'different' or the new kid.

One thing I had difficulty with is the obsession with sports in schools. It is much more important than any other subject. The school day revolves around athletics...if the kids go on a school visit they had to be back for athletics...no concern they were missing English or science but missing athletics was a no no. If my daughter was at home sick...the athletics coach would call to enquire if she could possibly attends athletic meets.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 8th 2006 at 1:12 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

morning jersey, been ironing your red christmas waistcoat again no doubt
Old Dec 8th 2006, 1:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
morning jersey, been ironing your red christmas waistcoat again no doubt

I sure have...the iron was out at 6.30. Have you sent me the red scrubs top...I mailed you mine earlier in the week. My bright pink scrubs just don't look right with the red christmas waistcoat. Hey ho.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

You need to get your son's immunisation records from your doctor. It is state law that all children have a medical check up and all required immunisations are up to date before a child is allowed to start the school year. Therefore every summer your child will need a medical check up.

My daughter went to private school so requirements may not be the same as a state school...she was 11 when we moved here. A form was sent to the UK school, which had to be completed and returned. It was general information about the child's attitude, performance etc plus grades, subjects studied etc. They asked to see text books and written work for the last 12 months. She had to attend an interview at the school...so did we.

My daughter adjusted to school here very easily and made friends quickly. I am not aware of any bullying etc 'cos she was 'different' or the new kid.

One thing I had difficulty with is the obsession with sports in schools. It is much more important than any other subject. The school day revolves around athletics...if the kids go on a school visit they had to be back for athletics...no concern they were missing English or science but missing athletics was a no no. If my daughter was at home sick...the athletics coach would call to enquire if she could possibly attends athletic meets.
Thank you for the reply. Could you please indicate the approximate fees charged by private schools at elementary/primary level.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Majj
Thank you for the reply. Could you please indicate the approximate fees charged by private schools at elementary/primary level.
Kindergarten starts at $20K+ p.a. There are lots of add ons...like books, school visits etc and a hefty donation will be expected each year.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Kindergarten starts at $20K+ p.a. There are lots of add ons...like books, school visits etc and a hefty donation will be expected each year.
What are the class sizes like? Can you pay with pre-tax dollars or get a tax deduction for school fees?
Old Dec 9th 2006, 8:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
What are the class sizes like? Can you pay with pre-tax dollars or get a tax deduction for school fees?

Maximum of 18 per class. You have to be joking!!
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Maximum of 18 per class. You have to be joking!!
lol... just thought I'd ask
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

To OP: here's a link that might be helpful to you, if you have finance queries
http://www.nais.org/admission/index....mNumber=142477

Or this one--I'm not sure how inclusive it is now, but will give you some places to look at (fees, admissions, etc)
http://www.abacusguide.com/NY%20priv...0directory.htm

Last edited by jen_andreson; Dec 9th 2006 at 9:58 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
To OP: here's a link that might be helpful to you, if you have finance queries
http://www.nais.org/admission/index....mNumber=142477

Or this one--I'm not sure how inclusive it is now, but will give you some places to look at (fees, admissions, etc)
http://www.abacusguide.com/NY%20priv...0directory.htm

I thought she was looking at NJ schools not NYC. I've just looked at one of the NYC links prices start at $26,500.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 9th 2006 at 10:12 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

I thought she was looking at NJ schools not NYC. I've just looked at one of the NYC links prices start at $26,500.
Perhaps, or as of this thread. Last weeks threads had OP asking about living in NY, living in NJ, and then was back to NY. I had a link that had schools in every state but now I can't find it.

I've seen private schools as low as 4K a term and as high as 38K a term (for exclusive schools). It depends what OP wants--private, religious based, exclusive.

Here's a NJ list from the AIS-not sure if there are better resources or not, but we used an AIS to evaluate schools in our area.

http://privateschool.about.com/gi/dy...www.njais.org/

Last edited by jen_andreson; Dec 9th 2006 at 10:25 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Perhaps, or as of this thread. Last weeks threads had OP asking about living in NY, living in NJ, and then was back to NY. I had a link that had schools in every state but now I can't find it.

I've seen private schools as low as 4K a term and as high as 38K a term (for exclusive schools). It depends what OP wants--private, religious based, exclusive.
Perhaps the O/P's keeping her options open. LOL.

We had to choose a school in a hurry and chose one which was near my husband's office...knowing that eventually we would be living in that area. I found school fees to be more or less the same. I didn't want my daughter to attend a religious school or an all girls school. The $20+K was for kindergarten...sure that increases by age.

These schools often have long waiting lists and can be very difficult to gain admittance...in our case I think they were impressed with the English accent. Little did they know Brits aren't willing to throw thousands of dollars into the annual fund raiser.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 9th 2006 at 10:33 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.