Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

registering baby as UK citizen and apply for baby's first British passport

registering baby as UK citizen and apply for baby's first British passport

Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default registering baby as UK citizen and apply for baby's first British passport

Due to give birth in July and trying to understand the process or what happens at time of being discharged from the hospital.

We will register the birth at the British Consulate in Washington.
and then use that to apply for the baby's British passport.

I am just trying to get my head around what a FULL BC is, is that that UK version of it being LONG FORM BC?

By default when you get your baby's BC does it state the parents names on the Birth Certificate?

If someone here applied for their childs British passport as well as registering them as British citizens, please can you shed some light.

We are in San Antonio, TX

The Vital and Statistics record is located in downtown SA I can always inquire there but I just wanted to know of any british expaters who have gone through the process of registering the child overseas here in U.S and applying for the child's first British passport.

thanks

WAD
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:08 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: registering baby as UK citizen and apply for baby's first British passport

You get the baby's US birth certificate first (must be issued within 3 months of birth? something like that) and find all your papers to prove you are a UKC not by descent. Then you can register the baby and get a registration of birth abroad if the baby qualifies.
We waited for the registration certificate first then we applied for the British passports.
One thing I'd have done differently is get two of the US birth certificate and tuck one away safely, we lost Ds's original that was issued and so he has one issued when he was 6. (I have since found the original one)

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Jun 16th 2011 at 3:16 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: registering baby as UK citizen and apply for baby's first British passport

so i read online somewhere that there is a birth certificate from the hospital, and then an official one you can get from the country office that has the raised seal on it - this can be used for passports or i guess for me to register our child at the british consulate.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:37 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whatadiva
so i read online somewhere that there is a birth certificate from the hospital, and then an official one you can get from the country office that has the raised seal on it - this can be used for passports or i guess for me to register our child at the british consulate.
The hospital here gave us the cutsey hospital cert for the baby book it had the baby's foot prints on from birth.
The real one came in the mail from the county offices.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
The hospital here gave us the cutsey hospital cert for the baby book it had the baby's foot prints on from birth.
The real one came in the mail from the county offices.
Not all states send you a birth cert. In MA, you've got to go to the town you reside in and pick it up from the town office, about $10 per copy or there abouts.

Plenty of threads on the pros and cons to registering the birth. I think it's a good idea personally, but you don't have to pay extra for the Consulate certificate, especially if you know you are going to the UK some time because you can get a copy cheaper from any birth/deaths office. Passport, for a baby, again, unless you plan on moving to the UK is a waste of money till they're a few years old as they will have to use a US passport to exit/enter the US, so might as well just use that for holidays to the UK...get a UK passport while on a trip to the UK some time....only because it's not valid for very long while they're babies.