Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Region Free/Code Free DVD Players

Wikiposts

Region Free/Code Free DVD Players

Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:09 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Region Free/Code Free DVD Players

Anyone know, what's the difference between Region Free and Code Free DVD players? What does it mean?

I'm looking for a cheap as chips DVD player that will play all regions. Something to tide me over until the HD BluRay war announces it's victor!

Will this one really work?

http://www.world-import.com/dvp-5140.htm
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Region Free/Code Free DVD Players

if it works as advertised then yes... and they mostly do work as advertized

I'd do a search in this forum - this question has been asked many times with lots of links to cheaper players.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:19 am
There's always One.

component is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nicecomponent is just really nice

Pick up a Philips dvp642 at your local Best Buy or similar for about $40 or $50. In order to make it region free, follow the following instructions:

1. Turn on the player.
2. Open the tray.
3. Press the following sequence on the remote:
7 8 9 OK 0
4. The number 0 will appear on the lower left side of your screen.
5. Your player is now region free! Put in a DVD and enjoy!

As well as that, it can read avi / divx formats mastered straight to disc - so if you copied a bunch of episodes of say, The Wire, in this format to a blank DVD, it would create a menu for them and allow you to watch them in whatever order pleases you. Of course, it also plays anything you have from the UK too. I heart it.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a $24.99 special offer DVD player at Target last week and 'hacked' it in 2 mins, it plays UK & US discs now.
Google DVD Hack before you buy to make sure the one you like can work with all regions
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
I bought a $24.99 special offer DVD player at Target last week and 'hacked' it in 2 mins, it plays UK & US discs now.
Google DVD Hack before you buy to make sure the one you like can work with all regions
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

that's the site.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

I bought the Philips DVP5140 from Sears for $50 and had it region free within a couple of minutes. A good buy.

Originally Posted by component
Pick up a Philips dvp642 at your local Best Buy or similar for about $40 or $50. In order to make it region free, follow the following instructions:

1. Turn on the player.
2. Open the tray.
3. Press the following sequence on the remote:
7 8 9 OK 0
4. The number 0 will appear on the lower left side of your screen.
5. Your player is now region free! Put in a DVD and enjoy!

As well as that, it can read avi / divx formats mastered straight to disc - so if you copied a bunch of episodes of say, The Wire, in this format to a blank DVD, it would create a menu for them and allow you to watch them in whatever order pleases you. Of course, it also plays anything you have from the UK too. I heart it.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
I bought the Philips DVP5140 from Sears for $50 and had it region free within a couple of minutes. A good buy.
Many prior posts on this, mine was from Amazon, Cyberhome, $20.

They had the same one at a place we were staying at in Mexico, so I hacked that to region free.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:37 am
Banned

Strawberry Blancmange is just really niceStrawberry Blancmange is just really niceStrawberry Blancmange is just really niceStrawberry Blancmange is just really niceStrawberry Blancmange is just really niceStrawberry Blancmange is just really niceStrawberry Blancmange is just really niceStrawberry Blancmange is just really niceStrawberry Blancmange is just really nice

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Anyone know, what's the difference between Region Free and Code Free DVD players? What does it mean?

I'm looking for a cheap as chips DVD player that will play all regions. Something to tide me over until the HD BluRay war announces it's victor!

Will this one really work?

http://www.world-import.com/dvp-5140.htm
I have a $600 VCR that I bought just to watch East Enders before it was on PPV.

If I bought a multi region DVD player I'd have to hide it.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:13 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

I bought this one through Amazon.com: Pioneer DV-383S

Pretty much plays everything I've bought from the UK, and also has PAL output and 220 volt support, so you may be able with a little rewiring to take it with you back to Blighty.

Not sure how available it is now, though...
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:12 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
I bought this one through Amazon.com: Pioneer DV-383S

Pretty much plays everything I've bought from the UK, and also has PAL output and 220 volt support, so you may be able with a little rewiring to take it with you back to Blighty.

Not sure how available it is now, though...
I have the dvp642 - it's fine. You can buy it through Amazon (and a ton of other places too, I am sure)