Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Redwood City, CA?

Redwood City, CA?

Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redwood City, CA?

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
If San Francisco has a quake its going to hit the area's we are discussing more then likely, and that makes it unsafe in my eyes unless you have a fast car and head south................
Yeh, but you have to put up with the flea pit of the US - the Central Valley - on a daily basis. Swings and rotaries, you know...
Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:45 am
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

I second that we are going to get in sh.t for that when the Socal brigade read it lol
well I did use IMHO, its just a viewpoint

....probably get savaged for being anti-septic
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:00 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
well I did use IMHO, its just a viewpoint

....probably get savaged for being anti-septic

But at least you're germ free.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:03 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Yeh, but you have to put up with the flea pit of the US - the Central Valley - on a daily basis. Swings and rotaries, you know...
Careful lol.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:03 am
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
But at least you're germ free.
don't mention the Krauts.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:05 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of living in Silicon Valley is really a show stopper unless you are willing to dodge bullets or are in a two income family (with at least one in the six digits). $1,000,000 buys you not much in some areas, and a lot of the housing stock is straight out of 1960. Searching through Realtor.com can really be an eye opener.

I've only been to Redwood City a few times on business, but to be honest there wasn't much to differentiate it from other cities nearby. It's all one big suburb down there.

I'm currently looking at Los Altos, Cupertino and Palo Alto as options in the next year, but also considering Half Moon Bay (to get away from it a bit) and Sunnyvale (to save a little money). I'm looking at least a 5 br place and it's going to be in the 1.5-2.0 million range just to stay on par with what I have in the DC area.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, that's always a worry, salary might be shit for that neck of the woods, actually is probably won't be hot so it's something I'm looking into.

There's a few studios out there which is a draw and I've a mate that lives in San Fran.

The benefits aren't to shabby, but then they usually aren't in the games industry...thing it, it's California...no offense, but that was way, way, way down the list of states I was looking at, on par with Austin, Texas.
Try this:

http://openroad.tv/video.php?vid=310
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:07 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
The cost of living in Silicon Valley is really a show stopper unless you are willing to dodge bullets or are in a two income family (with at least one in the six digits). $1,000,000 buys you not much in some areas, and a lot of the housing stock is straight out of 1960. Searching through Realtor.com can really be an eye opener.

I've only been to Redwood City a few times on business, but to be honest there wasn't much to differentiate it from other cities nearby. It's all one big suburb down there.

I'm currently looking at Los Altos, Cupertino and Palo Alto as options in the next year, but also considering Half Moon Bay (to get away from it a bit) and Sunnyvale (to save a little money). I'm looking at least a 5 br place and it's going to be in the 1.5-2.0 million range just to stay on par with what I have in the DC area.
Another Party let us know when you get here
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:35 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Can't say RWC does a great deal for me - seems to comprise mostly of freeway and the bits near the water are populated by a socking great scrap yard that regularly catches fire, a cement plant and some grotty salt flats. Perhaps I have just missed the nice parts

That said, NorCal is a pretty nice place to live, good weather, seaside, skiing, hiking, great cities etc. I'm never too sure what the fascination is with owning property to live in - renting is far cheaper at the moment.

Why not look for a cheap flight out for a long weekend.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:10 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

As you probably know, Nor cal is much, much better than Socal...IMHO
I second that we are going to get in sh.t for that when the Socal brigade read it lol
Ohhhhhhhhhh :curse: and why is that then?!?!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can't say San Fran Bob I got blasted for it lmao its not correct so I hear after 5 years

Aye, though I hear San fran all the time myself too
Old Jul 24th 2008, 12:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue

Why not look for a cheap flight out for a long weekend.
Because we're broke but if things move further, I'll get them to tab for it...but knowing my luck, it'll go the way of the WI gig went
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Because we're broke but if things move further, I'll get them to tab for it...but knowing my luck, it'll go the way of the WI gig went
Redwood City, games = Sony. There's also the George Lucas place in SF.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Ohhhhhhhhhh :curse: and why is that then?!?!
Perchance, M'lud do you work here?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:53 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Perchance, M'lud do you work here?
I went there once about 20 years ago. The food was shite, if I remember correctly it was little Cornish game hens, served on metal platters and no cutlery, you were supposed to rip them apart with your hands so as to totally immerse yourself in the medieval experience. The joust was very staged and choreographed. MT definitely earns no points in favor of So Cal

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Jul 24th 2008 at 1:58 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.