Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recovering addict

Recovering addict

Old Dec 18th 2005, 6:52 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recovering addict

I have decided to come clean and admit I'm a recovering Ready Brek addict. For years I would scoff on a large bowlful every day no matter how hot or cold the outside temperature. The slogan "central heating for kids" meant nothing. For years my mother tried to wean me off Ready Brek during the summer with Weetybangs.

Once married, I had total control. I could buy as many boxes as I could carry, and could eat it twice a day if I wanted and eat it year round.

March 1995 was a day that was both sad and exciting. I was starting a new lfe in the US but the downside was that Ready Brek was going to be hard to find. Oats by the old guy in the black hat and grits just don't give you that same warm feeling as Ready Brek.

For a few months I was fine, the humidity and heat of the South distracted me from wanting Reaady Brek, but once the Winter came, there was a void in my diet.

Then the wonders of the internet filled our lives and with some surfing I found people who could feed my addiction. It was expensive but I learned to ration my booty and actually appreciated its taste even more. I restricted myself to having it only at weekends.

I recently bought four boxes, sadly only small ones, from British Delights and have already gone through one box. Ration time again.

Does anyone out there know of any company that sells the big boxes or sells cases of the stuff? I guess I could surf the web but would sooner be eating another bowlful. lololol

I am sure I am not the only one who has had to ration themselves from a long term passion with a Brit food. Now is your chance to come clean and admit it. You will feel so much better if you do.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recovering addict

Buy Gerber's baby oat cereal. I swear its the same thing.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:43 pm
Position - Offside

Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Buy Gerber's baby oat cereal. I swear its the same thing.

I am going to go hunting for this tomorrow. Thank you
Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:34 pm
Position - Offside

Tried this out this morning, and there is little to no diffeence in taste. Now I won't feel so guilty about eating it when its not freezing cold outside.

Thanks. Karma going your way.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 7:27 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne
Tried this out this morning, and there is little to no diffeence in taste.
So much for recovery. Before you know it, you'll be lying, cheating and stealing to get your next fix.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 7:57 pm
Position - Offside

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
So much for recovery. Before you know it, you'll be lying, cheating and stealing to get your next fix.

I just hope it doesn't get to the stage where I take boxes of the stuff out of the carts of other shoppers.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

We love baked beans on toast (& please feel free with the fart jokes ). American bb are the usual mixture of ingredients plus 20 heaped tablespoons of sugar. Every year we have been up to Canada on hols and come back with 2 crates of beans. You should see their faces in the shop when we haul it all onto the counter. Fanflippin-tastic
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 1:38 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lizzi
We love baked beans on toast (& please feel free with the fart jokes ). American bb are the usual mixture of ingredients plus 20 heaped tablespoons of sugar. Every year we have been up to Canada on hols and come back with 2 crates of beans. You should see their faces in the shop when we haul it all onto the counter. Fanflippin-tastic

I think its funny how baked beans (heinz of course) have become such a luxury item for me here
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 2:32 pm
Position - Offside

We have tried all brands of US baked beans and nothing match up to Heinz. We have even given some to our US friends who actually prefer them because they are not overly sweet.

Another thing that is a luxury, Jacobs Cream Crackers. All the crackers here are overly salty and just don't do well with a good cheese. We recently gave my neighbor some Jacobs and he said that he much preferred them because it didn't take away the taste of the cheese.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 5:58 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

We have tried all brands of US baked beans and nothing match up to Heinz. We have even given some to our US friends who actually prefer them because they are not overly sweet.

Another thing that is a luxury, Jacobs Cream Crackers. All the crackers here are overly salty and just don't do well with a good cheese. We recently gave my neighbor some Jacobs and he said that he much preferred them because it didn't take away the taste of the cheese.
The closest beans to Heinz that I've tasted here are Beanie Weenies, they taste more like tomato than sugar, I recommend them if you are desperate.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 6:05 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

I have decided to come clean and admit I'm a recovering Ready Brek addict. For years I would scoff on a large bowlful every day no matter how hot or cold the outside temperature.
Yuck!!! ah well each to his own ...have you tried Cream of Wheat? ...I think it may be similar

as for me and British foods I don't really miss anything really...infact some of the stuff...including beans on toast sound gross!!! Lol

though I do like a bit of Cadbury's
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizzi
Funningly enough, someone recommended (on this forum, awhile back) Safeway brand baked beans. Bought them for my husband (who enjoys them on his baked potato) and he says they're pretty close to Heinz. Not very sugary. I tried them myself and they didn't taste as bad as some other very sugary name brands here.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Yuck!!! ah well each to his own ...have you tried Cream of Wheat? ...I think it may be similar

as for me and British foods I don't really miss anything really...infact some of the stuff...including beans on toast sound gross!!! Lol

though I do like a bit of Cadbury's
Cream of Wheat and Ready Brek are not the same thing. I found the closest thing was the Gerber baby cereal. In fact when I had Ready Brek one day in the UK, I thought how weird that people like baby cereal over here.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 7:26 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Cream of Wheat and Ready Brek are not the same thing. I found the closest thing was the Gerber baby cereal. In fact when I had Ready Brek one day in the UK, I thought how weird that people like baby cereal over here.

Well, since it is aimed at kids, its not really surprising, is it?
Now, these safeway beans - are they the ones they used to sell for 9p back in the UK?
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Well, since it is aimed at kids, its not really surprising, is it?
Now, these safeway beans - are they the ones they used to sell for 9p back in the UK?
Not sure about the beans. Well I mean its Safeway in the US I'm talking about. Perhaps if you had a search on this website you might find who actually recommended them. It was quite a few months back. But, we have bought them here and hubs likes them, so I guess they can't be all that bad. But, this comes from the man that likes haggis - what can I say?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.