Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Reclocatoin - but not...

Reclocatoin - but not...

Old Aug 8th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Reclocatoin - but not...

Hey all,

Just wondered what anyone's thoughts are on what a good amount of money is for relocating from the UK to the USA.

I'm already out here now and they gave me a 1,000 GBP amount to spend on relocation - but that was for a temporary stay out here. Now my stay will become permanent they are taking my allowances away. So - I need to provide them with a list of items that I would like to re-reimbursed for due to me staying here for good.

At the top of the list is the car in the UK that we sold at a loss, and are still paying the loan for.

Next would be household equipment in the US which we bought due to giving away and selling what we could before the move. This includes bed, sofa, TV, dining room table, washing machine, computer desk...

Next would be costs for transporting what we have remaining in the UK over here.

Finally, all those the odds-and-ends that you forget about...

So - if anyone would be willing to share what they got for a relocation allowance, I would be very appreciative...
Old Aug 8th 2008, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reclocatoin - but not...

Not sure if you've tried the search function, but there have been tons of threads about this which have some good info. I don't really imagine why they'd pay more to stay here - if you sold your car for a temporary assignment, how is it different if you're staying?
Old Aug 9th 2008, 12:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh010447

So - if anyone would be willing to share what they got for a relocation allowance, I would be very appreciative...
Not much use to you as it'll depend on sector as well as seniority really, so could well be massively different for everyone, but plenty of threads to search out for on this topic, and it's not a visa related question, so I'm moving it to the US forum.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by augigi
Not sure if you've tried the search function, but there have been tons of threads about this which have some good info. I don't really imagine why they'd pay more to stay here - if you sold your car for a temporary assignment, how is it different if you're staying?
Its not just the car... I sold that at a loss because I was under the believe that I would be given money to cover a leased car for the next 3 years. One year later they decide that they are going to stop that benefit. I now have to pay for my car here and the loan I had for the one in the UK which I sold at a loss.

Same for the house - they said they would pay for that too, and now I have to foot the bill for the house here, and the difference between the mortgage in the UK and the rent that we're currently getting for it. Cant sell it because we signed a fixed rate mortgage shortly before we realised we were coming out here - and its unlikely that we would be able to get a good price for it with the way the economy is.

Then there is all the costs that we paid for coming out here... Shipping, buying new stuff all over again. And with our total relocation allowance of 1000 GBP plus 500 USD.

I can understand that, even though I don't have a greencard yet, the plan for me to remain here means that I am not on secondment - so they shouldn't have to pay me this extra stuff... However, it works out that I'll loose like 16,000 a year! what's more, our first child is due next week - and we decided to start a family on the bases that for the next few years we would be fairly ok money wise...

... and what if I don't get my greencard? There is no guarentee that I'll get it... Although HR seems pretty confident (anyone else want a greencard? Apparently our HR seems to be the ones to sort it out for you!)

oh - one more thing for me to maon about... I'm being tax equalised so I get to pay back to the company any tax refund I get and I get to pay my health insurance out of my net salary instead of my gross.

I'm I being screwed?

I'll do a search and see what I can find out for relocation allowance...
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,

Up to $12000 (dollars not pounds) and paid against the appropriate receipts. I ended up being just out-of-pocket.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You not have all that stuff written into the contract? If you did, sue for breach of contract, if you didn't, you've been a bit of a plonker and I'd consider cutting your losses before it gets worse and find another job because it sounds like they don't have any qualms about screwing you over, so what's to say what will happen when things get tough...
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
You not have all that stuff written into the contract? If you did, sue for breach of contract, if you didn't, you've been a bit of a plonker and I'd consider cutting your losses before it gets worse and find another job because it sounds like they don't have any qualms about screwing you over, so what's to say what will happen when things get tough...
Yeah - my temporary assignment letter statues that its for a period of up to three years, after which it can be extended by mutual agreement by both parties. So I guess 1 year is a 'period of up to 3 years'...
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlanR
Up to $12000 (dollars not pounds) and paid against the appropriate receipts. I ended up being just out-of-pocket.
6 grand then... That would cover our car loan and stuff that we have bought out here.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:35 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

We were given $20k (taxed) and I think we ended up at least $20k out of pocket, but that's pretty subjective. Our shipping and airfares came out of that money, as did a huge loss on early mortgage redemption in the UK, sale of two cars at below market value, hotels over here, furniture rental while we waited for our shipping to come through...
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:46 am
Just Joined

AndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really niceAndysWiffy is just really nice

when i moved over in '04 i got $1500 + tickets and 3 months of rent/car.

when i moved from LA to Chicago i got $25k .... i wasn't arguing but damn.... i wish i'd known better when i moved from the UK.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 3:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Yeah - my temporary assignment letter statues that its for a period of up to three years, after which it can be extended by mutual agreement by both parties. So I guess 1 year is a 'period of up to 3 years'...
I was talking about the compensation...if that wasn't in writing...
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:35 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i bumped the old thread that i had posted on about this.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dh010447;6660469]Hey all,

Just wondered what anyone's thoughts are on what a good amount of money is for relocating from the UK to the USA.

I'm already out here now and they gave me a 1,000 GBP amount to spend QUOTE]

Is that a f**kin joke or what

I would want ten grand at least to even think about it.. and I meand in GB pounds

A couple of thousand bucks isn't much to relocate on, might buy you a washer and drier
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
I was talking about the compensation...if that wasn't in writing...
That was there in writing also - but again, tied to the 'up to three years in duration' part...
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MsElui
i bumped the old thread that i had posted on about this.
Thanks MsElui - found it