Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Recent experiences of flying dogs over.

Recent experiences of flying dogs over.

Old Sep 23rd 2014, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent experiences of flying dogs over.

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi

When my cats came from mainland Europe to USA, they were excess/outsize baggage, and like your pets they were just left unaccompanied in the luggage area. It took ages for our visas to be stamped, so they might have been there a while. I had envisaged picking them up from someone or some special desk, so was very surprised to see them just left on the floor.
Yep, same story here. We were the last people through the visa/passport check and someone was announcing over the speaker 'whoever is with the dog please come and collect it'. We were frantically waving from the queue.

He was just left on the conveyer belt where they put the buggies/skis etc. It wasn't moving and I just have to hope with all my heart that he was brought there by trolley and put on the still conveyor rather than actually going around (and down a sharp incline) in the bowels of the airport. Having a bit of a panic attack as I write that
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Tess4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I paid something around 250 euros for both my dogs. The crates i bought myself, both were certified for airlines and more than big enough for each one. I had the rabies boost done a few weeks in advance, but thats all that was required, although my vet also wrote a letter confirming that they were both vaccinated against rabies, even though it was all documented in their vaccine books. So thats what i took along and had also checked with customs and border control beforehand, and they only require the rabies jab from the country i was flying out of....may be different from other countries.

I made copies of the documents and put them inside their cages, the originals stayed with me. Took all of 2 minutes at border control....i have never left an airport so fast in my entire life! All i wanted was to get them out of there and into the pet park right outside arrivals....once they were out, they were absolutely fine, although my lab took a while to get over it, so to speak, but I am sure that included climatising to a new country, the time change etc as well, but the whole thing is undoubtedly traumatic for any animal.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

forgot to mention: people had used their cages to dump their empty coffee cups on as well...may have been used as seats for all i know. Fortunately there was a nice porter who just happened to be sitting on his trolley right next to them, pure coincidence though. He had a big smile on his face when i came running up to them, I think he was a bit miffed himself as to why they were just dropped off there without anyone watching over them!
Old Sep 25th 2014, 5:53 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tess4
Upon landing in Miami, things changed dramatically. I was pulled aside and taken into a room filled with other flyers that had no idea why they were there, or where they were. My dogs were a concern for me as they had been travelling for a good 15 hours at this stage. I asked the officer what the options were; i needed to be sure they were safe and wanted to avoid for them to be in their cages for a further "unknown" amount of time. I was told it wouldnt take long, that was it. The dogs were of no importance. It took 3 hours. My dogs were sitting in their cages somewhere in the luggage area, with nobody looking after them. Whether Lufthansa was responsible for this or not, remains to be seen.

After my 3 hour wait period, i ran out to find them. They were sitting in their cages, petrified and sitting in their pee sodden blankets. I believe that without this extra 3 hours they would have arrived in a different scenario, a more humane one. All in all, it depends on what airline has the best reputation. But when you land, you must be aware that you could be taken aside for further questioning, and this can take hours, and your dogs may be left the way mine were, and you cannot help them at all. This is just my personal and recent experience upon landing in Miami.
You arrived in Miami on ESTA ?? With two dogs?
And you were surprised that you were sent for secondary inspection?
You clearly had immigrant intent and were VERY lucky to have been allowed entry. What would have happened to the dogs if you had been refused entry into the US??
Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:46 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I am booked on my American Airlines flight from MAN to JFK for a week today and have booked the cats in too. I booked my flight online first then spoke to the call centre and had to insist very firmly that they did take pets as the woman at the other end didn't believe me, after referring her to the website and her speaking to her manager she finally came back to me and added the cats to my booking. I phoned again the next day to confirm that it was all OK and had it confirmed by a different agent on the phone.

The cats had their rabies shots and chips inserted last month and on Monday we go back to the vet for their fitness to fly examination.

I have 2 of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vari-Traditional-Kennel%C2%AE-Bleached-Linen/dp/B000TBJ4J8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=13CMDYA7EHFW49XTGXQW http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vari-Traditional-Kennel%C2%AE-Bleached-Linen/dp/B000TBJ4J8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=13CMDYA7EHFW49XTGXQW
for the flight, and they fit together easily and came with the necessary clip-on bowls (2 compartments per bowl). I did have to drill the holes for attaching the tie-wraps to secure the doors, but that was a simple job and in the absence of a drill could have been done with a hot skewer. I predict that getting the cats into the carriers will be trickier than everything else so far.

This time next week I will update you on how it all went.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Allfourfeet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I am booked on my American Airlines flight from MAN to JFK for a week today and have booked the cats in too. I booked my flight online first then spoke to the call centre and had to insist very firmly that they did take pets as the woman at the other end didn't believe me, after referring her to the website and her speaking to her manager she finally came back to me and added the cats to my booking. I phoned again the next day to confirm that it was all OK and had it confirmed by a different agent on the phone.

The cats had their rabies shots and chips inserted last month and on Monday we go back to the vet for their fitness to fly examination.

I have 2 of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vari-Traditi...A7EHFW49XTGXQW for the flight, and they fit together easily and came with the necessary clip-on bowls (2 compartments per bowl). I did have to drill the holes for attaching the tie-wraps to secure the doors, but that was a simple job and in the absence of a drill could have been done with a hot skewer. I predict that getting the cats into the carriers will be trickier than everything else so far.

This time next week I will update you on how it all went.
Fingers crossed it all goes well for you. Could you point me in the right direction where it says so on the website? I can only find the details for American airline flights within America and fro. America?
Old Sep 25th 2014, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

um forgive me if I have missed something here g1ant...my dogs travel everywhere with me, and especially when i go away for this amount of time...pretty normal for me, and many others to take their dogs with them! I wasnt surprised that i was sent for secondary inspection, because as i wrote in my post, none of us had any idea where we were, or why we were there. I only know this to be called secondary since joining this forum. It wasnt about surprise, it was about the fact that my two dogs were left unattended for 3 hours in an airport with excess baggage. THAT is what was disturbing in the whole thing. And could you kindly refrain from suggesting that i "clearly had immigrant intent" please, as i find that offensive.

And one other thing: I was actually told by the woman giving me the secondary to get my BF to marry me and everything would be easier....so....go figure that one out. Now THAT was surprising to me, as I flew over here on vacation.

My dogs would not have been refused entry, as they would have been handed over to my BF, that was all arranged in advance for such an event. Thanks again for the pre-judgement, jeez relax! This is a thread about travelling with dogs, not a thread to define whether a person had an intent for whatever you feel they had an intent for. You should perhaps try the immigration section here, but right now you arent providing any help or personal experience or advice about travelling with pets.

Originally Posted by g1ant
You arrived in Miami on ESTA ?? With two dogs?
And you were surprised that you were sent for secondary inspection?
You clearly had immigrant intent and were VERY lucky to have been allowed entry. What would have happened to the dogs if you had been refused entry into the US??

Last edited by Tess4; Sep 25th 2014 at 7:32 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 7:35 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I paid something around 250 euros for both my dogs. The crates i bought myself, both were certified for airlines and more than big enough for each one. I had the rabies boost done a few weeks in advance, but thats all that was required, although my vet also wrote a letter confirming that they were both vaccinated against rabies, even though it was all documented in their vaccine books. So thats what i took along and had also checked with customs and border control beforehand, and they only require the rabies jab from the country i was flying out of....may be different from other countries.

I made copies of the documents and put them inside their cages, the originals stayed with me. Took all of 2 minutes at border control....i have never left an airport so fast in my entire life! All i wanted was to get them out of there and into the pet park right outside arrivals....once they were out, they were absolutely fine, although my lab took a while to get over it, so to speak, but I am sure that included climatising to a new country, the time change etc as well, but the whole thing is undoubtedly traumatic for any animal.
um forgive me if I have missed something here g1ant...my dogs travel everywhere with me, and especially when i go away for this amount of time...pretty normal for me, and many others to take their dogs with them! I wasnt surprised that i was sent for secondary inspection, because as i wrote in my post, none of us had any idea where we were, or why we were there. I only know this to be called secondary since joining this forum. It wasnt about surprise, it was about the fact that my two dogs were left unattended for 3 hours in an airport with excess baggage. THAT is what was disturbing in the whole thing. And could you kindly refrain from suggesting that i "clearly had immigrant intent" please, as i find that offensive.

And one other thing: I was actually told by the woman giving me the secondary to get my BF to marry me and everything would be easier....so....go figure that one out. Now THAT was surprising to me, as I flew over here on vacation.

My dogs would not have been refused entry, as they would have been handed over to my BF, that was all arranged in advance for such an event. Thanks again for the pre-judgement, jeez relax!
You only had the rabies shots a few weeks before you flew, so either they don't travel everywhere with you, or you don't travel much. I don't think it's pretty normal for people to come to the US on vacation and bring their dogs with them. Seems like a pretty traumatic experience for the dogs, why would people put their pet through something like that for a few weeks vacation?

I very much doubt the woman at secondary meant you should get married to your bf and adjust status while you were on your current trip. She will have meant do it the official way, with the appropriate visa

I find it rather funny too that you're prepared to vaccinate your dogs, but not yourself.

Last edited by N1cky; Sep 25th 2014 at 7:38 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 7:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

My dogs would not have been refused entry, as they would have been handed over to my BF, that was all arranged in advance for such an event. Thanks again for the pre-judgement, jeez relax! This is a thread about travelling with dogs, not a thread to define whether a person had an intent for whatever you feel they had an intent for. You should perhaps try the immigration section here, but right now you arent providing any help or personal experience or advice about travelling with pets.
Naivete is no grounds to claim offense when presented with reasonable facts.

People don't typically go on holiday with their dogs. They just don't. Then you have a boyfriend waiting for you at the airport which presumably you mentioned to the immigration officer. Quite frankly, it's not unreasonable at all that you were sent to secondary to verify if you did, in fact, have immigration intent.

Giant asked perfectly reasonably questions and he was right, you were lucky to be allowed in. You, and your dogs, could very easily have been put back on another plane to the UK if the the decision had gone the other way.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:05 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

I can only say that my dogs wont travel air again, they are a bit older, but either way, i dont really want to put them through that again.
um forgive me if I have missed something here g1ant...my dogs travel everywhere with me, and especially when i go away for this amount of time...pretty normal for me, and many others to take their dogs with them!
Your story really doesn't add up.

In the interests of keeping this pet-related:

- almost no one brings their pets on long-haul holidays, so expect extra scrutiny if you are bringing your dogs Europe-US for a genuine vacation.
- if you have any reason to believe you'll be subject to a rough ride at secondary, just do your pets a favour and leave them at home to be shipped at a later date. It's incredibly unfair to bring them along to an uncertain reception. I don't know what happens to pets if you're bounced back at POE; presumably they're returned with you, but it may not be straightforward depending on which country you're returning to and whether the airline has space for pets.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Sep 25th 2014 at 8:08 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:12 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I'm coming in on my O-3 visa, which although non-immigrant is initially for 3 years, so I am hoping not to have problems at POE.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
You only had the rabies shots a few weeks before you flew, so either they don't travel everywhere with you, or you don't travel much.
You need to have a *valid* rabies injection which means that it needs to be repeated every two years and make sure that it covers the length of your stay. So it's quite plausible that the dogs had the injection just before arriving.

I don't understand the comment about her not wanting to vaccinate yourself but having no problems about doing it for your dog. No responsible owner would take their dog to a country that is not rabies free without a vaccination: Very stupid comment.

If I had a lot of money and a dog that was much more portable than he is (i.e some sort of lapdog) I'd take him EVERYWHERE with me without hesitation.

Taking a dog with you for a three month holiday is probably VASTLY cheaper than housing it somewhere for the duration. Plus the 24 hours of upheaval and travel stress is MUCH better than 3 months in a cage at a boarding kennel.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:37 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Additional info: http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri.../#post11414562

You came on a visa that allowed you to stay only 90 days. But you brought your dogs with you? It takes all sorts I suppose.

My concern is that you were obviously in for a rough ride at secondary and that by nature would leave your dogs unattended in baggage claim for a number of hours. You did not choose wisely, but are looking to blame someone else for the trauma that you yourself caused to your dogs.

You seem to have spent a fair amount of time researching the best way to transport your dogs but little time researching immigration procedures.

BTW, welcome to the group. You will find we are a friendly bunch by and large but do tend to be a little hard on posters who may "appear" to be bending the rules.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:37 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
I don't understand the comment about her not wanting to vaccinate yourself but having no problems about doing it for your dog. No responsible owner would take their dog to a country that is not rabies free without a vaccination: Very stupid comment.
Not really. It's in response to another thread she has been posting on.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I very much doubt the woman at secondary meant you should get married to your bf and adjust status while you were on your current trip. She will have meant do it the official way, with the appropriate visa
Even if she did suggest it, she is not an immigration professional and is allowed to lie. The Supreme court has found you cannot rely on information from government employees like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.