Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

reasons to move

reasons to move

Old Sep 18th 2004, 9:56 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reasons to move

Originally Posted by Nick01
I am a Swiss / US dual citizen living in Germany. Little but important difference

btw since today we celebrate the famous Oktoberfest here in Munich so if my posts will be strange the next two weeks ..... it`s because I

leather shorts, Toblerones and yodelling, it's all the same
Old Sep 19th 2004, 12:54 am
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Manc
I went to an Oktoberfest last night, and I must say, having been to one, I know not to go to another, and does anybody in Germany really drink alpine lager? wtf is that, how can you drink that shit, even one of the 'hobos' near by wouldn't swap me his meths for it...

I can't stand American cars, the trucks get bigger and bigger, does grandma need the chasis of an M1 tank to carry her groceries? plus what's with all the flags and jesus bumper stickers?
Old Sep 19th 2004, 2:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Nick is a German / US dual citizen, you are a little presumtious that he would need a visa.
He was asking why th rest of us moved to the US, on a British expats message board. I was answering the general question, not addressing the poster's situation.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Nick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud ofNick01 has much to be proud of

Attached Images   
Old Sep 20th 2004, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I have relations over at the moment and listening to them reminds me of all the things I did not like about the way the UK was going - but then I lived in London.

The thing is though that English people like to moan about England, I think some of them have degrees in the subject. They also like to think that everywhere else is different and better ...
Old Sep 20th 2004, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I have relations over at the moment and listening to them reminds me of all the things I did not like about the way the UK was going - but then I lived in London.

The thing is though that English people like to moan about England, I think some of them have degrees in the subject. They also like to think that everywhere else is different and better ...
Well they were naturally 'complaining', commenting?, about things here they did not like as well!

Thinking about it, some of it is definitely down to not being bombarded by radio/tv/newspapers, from that point of view it feels very much less in your face.

And perhaps also not living in a major city has something to do with it as well.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 5:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

The main/first reason I moved here was for an education. Graduate school here offers a lot more opportunities (variety of courses), and more opportunities for financial support, compared to the UK. However, since I first came (1990), I think opportunities in the UK have improved, especially in my field (sport/exercise science).

After finishing grad school, I stayed here (and subsequently returned here) again because of the professional opportunities in higher education. I have much more research opportunities and funding (grant) opportunities than in the U.K., and the emphasis here is on teaching/researching exercise for health - the UK is still fixated on sport science (athlete preparation, performance enhancement) - very shortsighted.

Interestingly, although I find the weather nicer, standard of living higher, etc., like others, none of those things are what brought me here, or what keep me here.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 5:29 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatman
I can't stand American cars, the trucks get bigger and bigger, does grandma need the chasis of an M1 tank to carry her groceries? plus what's with all the flags and jesus bumper stickers?
And now for the grandma who feels slighted by her neighbors new maxi 4x4, hummer or other beast:
Attached Thumbnails reasons to move-cxt-3-full.gif