Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Wikiposts

Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this really, that terrible compared to UK?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If that someone was an intruder in my home, I wouldn't think twice about it. The gun is in a drawer behind my pillow, clip attached, one in the chamber, and safety on!

Ian
It's a well known fact that owning a gun does not make you any safer. In fact, you have a greater risk of that gun being used against you. I hate guns, always have, always will. I guess I'm living in the wrong country.......
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:34 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
It's a well known fact that owning a gun does not make you any safer. In fact, you have a greater risk of that gun being used against you. I hate guns, always have, always will. I guess I'm living in the wrong country.......
Me too and I know lots of people with guns, and nice as they are its impossible to have an intelligent conversation with any of them. It never can get past "no one is going to take my gun and all gun control will do is leave the guns to the criminals".
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:51 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - I can't believe what I'm reading - so you would have absolutely no qualms about shooting someone dead?
Few days ago someone tried to break in while we were here. One press of the panic button on the alarm and grabbed the Ruger .380 from the gun safe. Would I have pulled the trigger if they had come through the window, too right I would.

Afterwards I thought about the whole situation and realized that trying to walk around checking the house with a small weapon like the .380 was a bit dangerous. Dangerous because with my hands it is difficult to keep my finger down the side of the barrel and not across the trigger guard. Solved that problem, it now has a Glock 19 as a big brother, easier to carry, and in my hand the bad guys can see you have it. Would I have killed them if they got in, maybe I would have,that is what personal protection hollow point ammunition is sold for. To stop someone before they get to you.

It is called legal self defense. UK and US laws are very similar in that regard.

Last edited by lansbury; Jan 23rd 2011 at 6:11 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Me too and I know lots of people with guns, and nice as they are its impossible to have an intelligent conversation with any of them. It never can get past "no one is going to take my gun and all gun control will do is leave the guns to the criminals".
They may well have a valid point! It's exactly how it has become in the UK. Gun crime has risen not declined after the gun ban. If a criminal wants a gun they will get one.

I will stay out of the debate on whether having a gun makes you safer or not!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:58 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airways
They may well have a valid point! It's exactly how it has become in the UK. Gun crime has risen not declined after the gun ban. If a criminal wants a gun they will get one.

I will stay out of the debate on whether having a gun makes you safer or not!
You miss the point!! for example guns continue to be sold to the mentally ill because changing/amending the law equals gun control. People are obsessed with their rghts
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

As a Brit making the big move it's all a bit alien - gun crime and healthcare...hmmm let's see how it all goes...
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:10 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

It's a well known fact that owning a gun does not make you any safer.
Define what you mean by safer. Are you any more or less likely to be a victim of crime. I bet it makes no difference.

Are you more able to defend yourself. I would say you are and therefore you are probably safer.

In fact, you have a greater risk of that gun being used against you.
Well you would certainly be at a greater risk than if you didn't have one of that happening. Of course if you shoot them before they take the gun off you that greatly reduces or nullifies that risk.

Discounting the mentally ill being involved in mass shootings, how often do you hear of the average sane American being involved in a self defense shooting, other than law enforcement. I feel very unsafe because they let the average person hurtle around the streets in several tons of metal that they haven't been trained to use and delude themselves into thinking they have any clue about how to drive it.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

chris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond reputechris23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uknobby
Its 2 totally different places completely different lifestyles but if you just comparing gun laws/ healthcare well gun laws: so more people in the US carry guns legally theres probably more people in the UK carrying guns illegally than you think. Crime there's just as much violent crime in the UK as there is in the US but it is dramatised more here in the media than in the UK for sure. I see no real difference between the two just as many people struggling in UK as here. As for healthcare yes it costs you here but at least you get seen too now the UK do you really want to spend 5 years on a waiting list for a serious operation hmmm lemme see I dont think so. Taxes here are way less than in the UK so leading to a better lifestyle but of course alot of these things depend on what you really come to the US for everywhere in the world is different and theres pros and cons to them all I still call the UK home and always will I love to be on approach to LHR and look out the window see the land trees etc but I hate getting of the plane and paying 80 gbp to fill up my car and 4 pound for a beer and realising how many years I was screwed on taxes for, I love it here in the USA and would never plan to return to the UK to live.
If it was wait a while and save myself re-mortgaging or selling my home or car, would i wait............ uh i think so!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
You miss the point!! for example guns continue to be sold to the mentally ill because changing/amending the law equals gun control. People are obsessed with their rghts
No I did not miss the point. I just did not want to debate it. I merely pointed out that since the gun ban In the UK, illegal gun crime has actually risen not declined. So the argument that banning guns will reduce gun crime does not necessarily stand up.

Last edited by airways; Jan 23rd 2011 at 6:58 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

No I did not miss the point. I just did not want to debate it. I merely pointed out that since the gun ban In the UK, illegal gun crime has actually risen not declined. So the argument that banning guns will reduce gun crime does not necessarily stand up.
This should be interesting, I'll check back in later when the "big guns" come along to shoot you down.....

Edit to add: I'm not agreeing or disagreeing.....just curious where this one will go...
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
This should be interesting, I'll check back in later when the "big guns" come along to shoot you down.....

Edit to add: I'm not agreeing or disagreeing.....just curious where this one will go...
The total number of gun crimes in the UK is infinitesimal compared to the US.

(I'm not sure if that's actually a word, but anyway much, much smaller )
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Not denying that. The US has something like 330m people for a start. As I said I am not debating if people should have guns or not. I just pointed out that in the UK gun crime is rising not falling. Legal holders of firearms are rarely involved in gun crime.

Amerlisa, why would I need shooting down? I have expressed a statistical fact about UK gun crime and have not given an opinion on it or on whether people need or should have guns. It is not a debate I care to engage in as it clearly is a passionate subject to many. I prefer to leave that and religion alone......
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Not denying that. The US has something like 330m people for a start. As I said I am not debating if people should have guns or not. I just pointed out that in the UK gun crime is rising not falling. Legal holders of firearms are rarely involved in gun crime.

Amerlisa, why would I need shooting down? I have expressed a statistical fact about UK gun crime and have not given an opinion on it or on whether people need or should have guns. It is not a debate I care to engage in as it clearly is a passionate subject to many. I prefer to leave that and religion alone......
Then stop posting about it
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Well comparing the UK to the US is not always debatable..... But what the heck, we do it here on BE ad infinitum

Hmmm....infinitesimal.... now that's a word worth remembering.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/infinitesimal
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You posted an opinion So the argument that banning guns will reduce gun crime does not necessarily stand up.

Everything can always be debated.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.