Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Really ashamed of some brits back home...

Wikiposts

Really ashamed of some brits back home...

Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really ashamed of some brits back home...

I don't really know what point Robousy is making here either, most of the comments on the website are written by Americans and the few UK responses that I saw weren't anything to be ashamed of. No one is saying that if this happened in the UK everything would be sorted in a jiffy, however as human beings we do have a right to demand that the government react immediately to end the suffering of the people caught up in the nightmare that was Hurricane Katrina. That means sending ENOUGH personnel to cover a massive relief effort, not leave a few poor police officers and hospital staff to battle alone. Think if it were your family you would be going bonkers trying to get them out of there safe and so yes as human beings we do have the right to demand this happen, the man at the top is always accountable and he was put there by his people to serve them. And that is all they ask!
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:43 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking back on that message board just now, I can't find the posts which I saw a day or two ago. Perhaps they've been removed by moderators.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:35 am
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robousy
Hi all,

Sorry to bring up the serious subject of hurricane katrina but something is really bugging me.

I am sure many of you rely on bbc news for good reporting of news events.
I sometimes check out the 'have your say' section and was reading the comments on the 'Hurricane Katrina: What next? ' part.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/4207856.stm

Almost ALL the comments were pretty nasty digs at the US, the president or some aspect of the relief effort. I felt so bad. Talk about kicking someone when they are down. We are supposed to be 'allies' and 'friends' but all I read was smug satisfaction.

The US has been so good to me and the people so kind. I know that if some disaster happened in the UK then the comments from the US would be supportive and sympathetic.

Why can't we just say 'we are sorry what happened, can we help in any way?'

I really am ashamed to be British sometimes.

Then you should be ashamed to live in the USA too because when the Tsunami hit the message boards for that were ten times worse then anything on the BBC Board. There's always a few bad apples but as for being ashamed to be British, well that's your problem.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:47 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
WS,

I don't have a problem with digs at the US, the government, etc. What I've been hearing is that if the same scenario occurred in Britain, not only would the government have excellent plans for rescuing everyone (and the infrastructure like levees would be in tip-top repair, natch) -- but that the Brits wouldn't act like "animals" as the trapped people in New Orleans did. No sirree, they would be decent down to a person.

THAT does bug me -- that the British response by both rescuers and rescuees would be completely civilised and in every way 1,000 times superior to the American effort.

I'd love to see an experiment on say Toxteth Park.
I don't see any comments of this ilk there. The OP was upset and ashamed to be British because of the comments criticising the relief efforts in the US. The comments are completely correct - it's a shambles. I'm just confused as to whether the OP thinks that Brits don't have the right to say these things or whether they shouldn't be said at all, because there's a crisis and people are dying so it's disrespectful or whatever.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

WOnder if the OP is another bridge dwelling goat eater.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Not wanting to start an argument here, but are you saying it's ok for the Americans to make comments about their government and the response to the tragedy but not for Brits to do it?

Or are you suggesting that no-one should be allowed to criticise the way in which the aid efforts have been handled because people have died?

I'm failing to see your point. Sorry for being anal. I'll go read up on my Freud now.
lol.

In a way yes I am saying its ok for Americans to critisise their government and not for Brits to. Of course we could sit here and argue about freedom of speech - but thats not the point I'm making. Its just common, decent tact.

No-one likes to here a foreigner criticise their home country. They may be valid criticisms but I do not think it is a foreigner's place to do so. Its just courtesy.

There will be plenty of Americans moaning about the way things were handled - as Brits lets just all say we are all sorry to hear about the bad news and we hope we can help. If we don't we risk sounding smug, elitist and maybe superior.

You wouldn't criticise another parents method of raising their children. Its not your place. This is similar.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Dunno about the OP, but what made me feel bad about what the Brits were saying was not the usual comments about how late the response was, why wasn't it foreseen and planned for...etc.. It was the ignorant way they were objecting to the idea that they donate something towards the relief fund. It was the tone of their remarks - lack of caring - which upset me.
Exactly!

The tone was very uncaring.
There is a nice German word that summarises the responses - Schadenfreude.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Looking back on that message board just now, I can't find the posts which I saw a day or two ago. Perhaps they've been removed by moderators.
I think so too. I just looked back and didn't a lot.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celsius
How about re-reading what you post before you post it? We can't read your mind (and neither do I wish to)!
How about commenting on the corrected post instead of moaning.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I don't really know what point Robousy is making here either, most of the comments on the website are written by Americans and the few UK responses that I saw weren't anything to be ashamed of. No one is saying that if this happened in the UK everything would be sorted in a jiffy, however as human beings we do have a right to demand that the government react immediately to end the suffering of the people caught up in the nightmare that was Hurricane Katrina. That means sending ENOUGH personnel to cover a massive relief effort, not leave a few poor police officers and hospital staff to battle alone. Think if it were your family you would be going bonkers trying to get them out of there safe and so yes as human beings we do have the right to demand this happen, the man at the top is always accountable and he was put there by his people to serve them. And that is all they ask!

That on a forum read by the international community the decent thing to do would be to be sympathetic - not to bit*h and moan. There is a time for everything, and in the direct aftermath moaning and criticising was not needed. A lot of the comments sounded SMUG.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

I don't see any comments of this ilk there. The OP was upset and ashamed to be British because of the comments criticising the relief efforts in the US. The comments are completely correct - it's a shambles. I'm just confused as to whether the OP thinks that Brits don't have the right to say these things or whether they shouldn't be said at all, because there's a crisis and people are dying so it's disrespectful or whatever.
Something like that.

Its not that we don't have the RIGHT. Of course we do.
I just don't feel it to be morally decent. Its like turning up to a funeral of a racing car driver who just died in a race and saying to his family, 'well, serves him right for driving at 180mph.' Everybody bloody knows it, you just don't have to spell it out - especially at the funeral.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 5:07 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly!

The tone was very uncaring.
There is a nice German word that summarises the responses - Schadenfreude.
Yes, I've had some friends who have grieved me by saying that the Americans (en masse, including the victims of the storm) don't deserve help because their own government cocked up the response. I somehow doubt the victims of the storm supported Bush before the hurricane and I certainly don't think they support him now, yet they are to be thrown to the wolves because these young Brits (NOT on the BBC site) hate "America and Americans." In large part because they don't like Bush and the American government.

To me that's adding insult to injury.... these people then are being betrayed *twice* -- once by their own government, and then again by people who won't give to the relief effort, or criticise British government relief, by saying that the American government is *****ed. Well, duh, if it worked perhaps we would not so desperately need aid from any quarter we can receive it from!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:08 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Something like that.

Its not that we don't have the RIGHT. Of course we do.
I just don't feel it to be morally decent. Its like turning up to a funeral of a racing car driver who just died in a race and saying to his family, 'well, serves him right for driving at 180mph.' Everybody bloody knows it, you just don't have to spell it out - especially at the funeral.
In that case, I see your point. I've said a number of times that the horrible mess needs to be sorted out, the people need to be removed from the area and made safe before we start criticising the relief efforts.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:26 am
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

In that case, I see your point. I've said a number of times that the horrible mess needs to be sorted out, the people need to be removed from the area and made safe before we start criticising the relief efforts.
I second that, i don't care who is responsible for the slow response etc... there are still people both in in NO and evacuated outside, who need help. I don't care where it comes from, and until it gets sorted out I don't think politicians should be wasting there time arguing about it when they could be putting their effort into helping. These discussions should not be about their future political careers, but the people who are still there and need help. I think this is what frustrates a lot of people.

And regarding the SMUG comment, can you really be sure that it was what those people where intending when they wrote? I know that I have had many misunderstandings with friends due to the impersonal nature of emails, and i think this would fall into the same category. I am hoping that those people felt strongly enough to post on the BBC website because something about the tragedy touched them inside, and their response was anger at how this could happen. Maybe i'm an optimist?
Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cutina

And regarding the SMUG comment, can you really be sure that it was what those people where intending when they wrote? I know that I have had many misunderstandings with friends due to the impersonal nature of emails, and i think this would fall into the same category. I am hoping that those people felt strongly enough to post on the BBC website because something about the tragedy touched them inside, and their response was anger at how this could happen. Maybe i'm an optimist?
I see your point. Emails are extremely impersonal and statements and comments can easily be interpreted the wrong way. There was a lot of 'serves you right' tone to them though.

Incidently I had a quick look at your profile and saw that you are a scientist - what is it you research? I ask as I am working on my PhD in Texas in physics at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.