Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Really ashamed of some brits back home...

Wikiposts

Really ashamed of some brits back home...

Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Really ashamed of some brits back home...

Originally Posted by Tangram
I agree wholeheartedly. Taking the devils advocate stance you coud say, the poor people without flood insurance who have lost everything should have HAD flood insurance so don't expect any help brothers.

It is an appalling situation and my heart goes out to everyone in that region.

Only problem with that arguement is that a lot of those affected have trouble putting food on the table let alone affording high insurance premiums.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:41 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
But some of these tourists are starting to piss me off. The authorities issued a mandatory evacuation order. Anyone who can afford to holiday in the US can afford a plane ticket/car rental/train/bus/cab out of the city which they could then claim back on their holiday insurance anyway.
I just love your post I haven't read a single thing about tourists but you are exactly right.....and on top of it ...they have homes to go back to.

hmmm just read another post where some British tourists were unable to rent a vehicle to flee because they had no drivers licence.....

Last edited by Celtic_Angel; Sep 6th 2005 at 2:52 am. Reason: more info ;)
Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:42 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Only problem with that arguement is that a lot of those affected have trouble putting food on the table let alone affording high insurance premiums.

AFAIK quite lot of reasonably well off people cannot afford flood insurance either because it is horrendously expensive.

And why should poor people pick up the tab because GWB and his cronies preferred to spend the nation's wealth on tax cuts for the rich and a pointless war?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira

And why should poor people pick up the tab because GWB and his cronies preferred to spend the nation's wealth on tax cuts for the rich and a pointless war?
Indeed! But cleaning up the messes will be passed down to the masses.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I just love your post I haven't read a single thing about tourists but you are exactly right.....and on top of it ...they have homes to go back to.

hmmm just read another post where some British tourists were unable to rent a vehicle to flee because they had no drivers licence.....

Also they stopped public transport on the Saturday afternoon before the hurricane hit!
Brit tourists were told they were on their own, when they asked police what they should do. About 30 ended up in superdome, some in the convention centre.They are telling their stories as they arrive back in UK (reported on the Beeb site)- there are still about 91 Brits missing.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:20 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robousy
Hi all,

Sorry to bring up the serious subject of hurricane katrina but something is really bugging me.

I am sure many of you rely on bbc news for good reporting of news events.
I sometimes check out the 'have your say' section and was reading the comments on the 'Hurricane Katrina: What next? ' part.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/4207856.stm

Almost ALL the comments were pretty nasty digs at the US, the president or some aspect of the relief effort. I felt so bad. Talk about kicking someone when they are down. We are supposed to be 'allies' and 'friends' but all I read was smug satisfaction.

The US has been so good to me and the people so kind. I know that if some disaster happened in the UK then the comments from the US would be supportive and sympathetic.

Why can't we just say 'we are sorry what happened, can we help in any way?'

I really am ashamed to be British sometimes.
29 of 119 comments came from Brits. That's less than one quarter. The vast majority of the remainder came from Americans, so don't feel too ashamed, eh.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 3:50 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
AFAIK quite lot of reasonably well off people cannot afford flood insurance either because it is horrendously expensive.
living 3 foot below sea level between lake pontchatrain and the mississippi...........
erm, of course it is expensive.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:13 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

http://forums.british-expats.com/vie...er=asc&start=0

This British guy from another site has actively helped the British (as well as other nations) tourists as they arrivedi n Dallas.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:02 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Sorry to bring up the serious subject of hurricane katrina but something is really bugging me.

I am sure many of you rely on bbc news for good reporting of news events.
I sometimes check out the 'have your say' section and was reading the comments on the 'Hurricane Katrina: What next? ' part.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/4207856.stm

Almost ALL the comments were pretty nasty digs at the US, the president or some aspect of the relief effort. I felt so bad. Talk about kicking someone when they are down. We are supposed to be 'allies' and 'friends' but all I read was smug satisfaction.

The US has been so good to me and the people so kind. I know that if some disaster happened in the UK then the comments from the US would be supportive and sympathetic.

Why can't we just say 'we are sorry what happened, can we help in any way?'

I really am ashamed to be British sometimes.

I read that BBC message board a couple of days ago, and like you I felt bad about some of the comments made by British posters. and I am no fan of America or its government. Message Boards don't bring out the best in some people though - they feel able to say what is truly in their hearts about the USA. There's a lot of anti-American feeling, by the look of it. Trouble is they focus on the big picture of America, instead of the tragedy unfolding in Louisianna, where people just like them are struggling to survive. They should be saying "There but for the grace of God...." Britain has a lot of coastline!!!
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Most of the comments on there were from Americans
Ok guys - brief caveat on behalf of Taffyles, Celcius and wintersong.

instead of my original post reading 'Almost ALL the comments were pretty nasty digs at the US'

lets change this for all the anal readers to:

'Almost ALL the comments by BRITS were pretty nasty digs at the US'

That was the context.

Last edited by robousy; Sep 6th 2005 at 6:17 am.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

instead of my original post reading 'Almost ALL the comments were pretty nasty digs at the US'

That was the context.
How about re-reading what you post before you post it? We can't read your mind (and neither do I wish to)!
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:46 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
It would seem there are a lot of Texans who don't want them here in Dallas, the comments have been appalling. They are saying things like they will lower the property prices. They will take all the jobs. Crime will go up, and all that kind of stuff. Don't let them stay very long as they shouldn't be allowed to feel they will be looked after forever.

We are welcoming them as they will increase the diversity of our city. We have a fairly strong Hispanic population but not nearly as many African-Americans. They are welcome to stay as long as they like, and if they wish to settle here, we are helping them find jobs and housing. If they all chose to stay, that would be a huge number of people to absorb at one go, but we are willing to do it. My only complaint would be traffic continuing to get worse, and that's just from population growth period.

We are one of the few cities that pay for public housing and medical care (money comes from city taxpayers, not state or federal dollars). Yet I have not heard one whinge about the fact that those taxes will need to rise.

You know, no one wanted to take the Jews in post WWII -- they'd lost everything, survived horrific conditions -- only to find that their old homes were gone, people had taken over what was left, and no country wanted them. Appears that this same crap happens today.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:47 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

That was the context.
Not wanting to start an argument here, but are you saying it's ok for the Americans to make comments about their government and the response to the tragedy but not for Brits to do it?

Or are you suggesting that no-one should be allowed to criticise the way in which the aid efforts have been handled because people have died?

I'm failing to see your point. Sorry for being anal. I'll go read up on my Freud now.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:50 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

WS,

I don't have a problem with digs at the US, the government, etc. What I've been hearing is that if the same scenario occurred in Britain, not only would the government have excellent plans for rescuing everyone (and the infrastructure like levees would be in tip-top repair, natch) -- but that the Brits wouldn't act like "animals" as the trapped people in New Orleans did. No sirree, they would be decent down to a person.

THAT does bug me -- that the British response by both rescuers and rescuees would be completely civilised and in every way 1,000 times superior to the American effort.

I'd love to see an experiment on say Toxteth Park.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:15 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Dunno about the OP, but what made me feel bad about what the Brits were saying was not the usual comments about how late the response was, why wasn't it foreseen and planned for...etc.. It was the ignorant way they were objecting to the idea that they donate something towards the relief fund. It was the tone of their remarks - lack of caring - which upset me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.