Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Really ashamed of some brits back home...

Wikiposts

Really ashamed of some brits back home...

Old Sep 5th 2005, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice
Default Really ashamed of some brits back home...

Hi all,

Sorry to bring up the serious subject of hurricane katrina but something is really bugging me.

I am sure many of you rely on bbc news for good reporting of news events.
I sometimes check out the 'have your say' section and was reading the comments on the 'Hurricane Katrina: What next? ' part.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/4207856.stm

Almost ALL the comments were pretty nasty digs at the US, the president or some aspect of the relief effort. I felt so bad. Talk about kicking someone when they are down. We are supposed to be 'allies' and 'friends' but all I read was smug satisfaction.

The US has been so good to me and the people so kind. I know that if some disaster happened in the UK then the comments from the US would be supportive and sympathetic.

Why can't we just say 'we are sorry what happened, can we help in any way?'

I really am ashamed to be British sometimes.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Munchkin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Really ashamed of some brits back home...

Originally Posted by robousy
Hi all,

Sorry to bring up the serious subject of hurricane katrina but something is really bugging me.

I sometimes check out the 'have your say' section and was reading the comments on the 'Hurricane Katrina: What next? ' part.

Almost ALL the comments were pretty nasty digs at the US, the president or some aspect of the relief effort. I felt so bad. Talk about kicking someone when they are down. We are supposed to be 'allies' and 'friends' but all I read was smug satisfaction.

The US has been so good to me and the people so kind. I know that if some disaster happened in the UK then the comments from the US would be supportive and sympathetic.

There's a lot of Americans criticising thier government on the BBC News forum too.

I agree that co-ordinating aid to an area the size of the UK was going to take days, but I don't understand why those without the means to get out were told that they were 'on their own'.

A country as wealthy as America surely should have been able to find the means to evacuate those folk without their own transport.

Just my 2 cents
Old Sep 5th 2005, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

stappin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Munchkin
There's a lot of Americans criticising thier government on the BBC News forum too.

I agree that co-ordinating aid to an area the size of the UK was going to take days, but I don't understand why those without the means to get out were told that they were 'on their own'.

A country as wealthy as America surely should have been able to find the means to evacuate those folk without their own transport.

Just my 2 cents
What I found shocking was reports that the british consular in Houston told the Brit Tourists that they might have to pay for their flights and hotels before they flew back to the UK.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

robousy

Don't pay any attention to the stupid comments on "have your say". The real British reaction is our offering the US whatever it asked for, and when it asked for food, sending 500,000 ration packs.

stappin

I feel real sympathy for those who were unable to evacuate because they are frail, sick or poor. But some of these tourists are starting to piss me off. The authorities issued a mandatory evacuation order. Anyone who can afford to holiday in the US can afford a plane ticket/car rental/train/bus/cab out of the city which they could then claim back on their holiday insurance anyway.

Instead they chose to stay and then expect the Consul to come and rescue them (as if he has a helicopter parked on the Consulate lawn for Goodness sakes) and then they complain because the tax payer isn't paying for their hotel bill/fight home.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I am guessing some of the people commenting on Katrina are venting their spleen about bush & the Iraq situation. Most of the comments are from Americans anyway.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Munchkin

Just my 2 cents
You are doing it now too. My mother always told me 'if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.'
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I wouldn't be too ashamed. Over the last few days our local news site has had a message board for evacuees. (Dallas, and we have a lot of evacuees) I have been sickened at the amount of racist crap that has been getting posted on there. Thankfully they remove it pretty quickly but I've seen loads.

It would seem there are a lot of Texans who don't want them here in Dallas, the comments have been appalling. They are saying things like they will lower the property prices. They will take all the jobs. Crime will go up, and all that kind of stuff. Don't let them stay very long as they shouldn't be allowed to feel they will be looked after forever.

There's also been a lot of religious crap, I saw one advertising a home for evacuees, as long as they were a follower of Christ, and one that said, "remember, the antichrist comes before the return of Christ."

After having read the ignorant racist crap on the local boards the last few days, they'd have to get really offensive in the UK for me to be ashamed of them.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rompers
robousy

Don't pay any attention to the stupid comments on "have your say". The real British reaction is our offering the US whatever it asked for, and when it asked for food, sending 500,000 ration packs.
You say the 'real'. I say that that is the 'official'. The actual real reaction is the one from the individuals and the most common reaction is harsh elitist criticism. The comments are filled with malign schadenfreude.

Also, with the UK government offering whatever it asked for is like saying 'call me if you need a hand' - it seems a bit empty. In the arena of international politics the UK should have put some kind of confirmed figure. If places like Qatar can offer 500M then the UK can do better than that.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
I wouldn't be too ashamed. Over the last few days our local news site has had a message board for evacuees. (Dallas, and we have a lot of evacuees) I have been sickened at the amount of racist crap that has been getting posted on there. Thankfully they remove it pretty quickly but I've seen loads.

It would seem there are a lot of Texans who don't want them here in Dallas, the comments have been appalling. They are saying things like they will lower the property prices. They will take all the jobs. Crime will go up, and all that kind of stuff. Don't let them stay very long as they shouldn't be allowed to feel they will be looked after forever.

There's also been a lot of religious crap, I saw one advertising a home for evacuees, as long as they were a follower of Christ, and one that said, "remember, the antichrist comes before the return of Christ."

After having read the ignorant racist crap on the local boards the last few days, they'd have to get really offensive in the UK for me to be ashamed of them.
Whats the website?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:29 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

You are doing it now too. My mother always told me 'if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.'
Yes, but this doesn't really advance anything, does it. Citizens of a democracy who practised this would essentially get the government they deserve. And they wouldn't have a democracy, would they?

Of people's comments on Katrina - there is a lot to say, both good and bad, and it's being said. Human behaviour here has ranged from the best to the worst. Seems normal to me.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:14 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stappin
What I found shocking was reports that the british consular in Houston told the Brit Tourists that they might have to pay for their flights and hotels before they flew back to the UK.
why shouldn't they?

travel insurance is supposed to pick up the tab for events like these.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Most of the comments on there were from Americans
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Er. The bulk of comments on the BBC page appeared to be from those living in the US and most likely Americans themselves.

If you live in the US, you can't have failed to notice the amount of coverage of criticism of Bush and his government's handling of Hurricane Katrina either.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the website?
NBC5

As I said, the comments are generally removed fairly quickly but if you keep looking you're bound to come across one.

TheDallas Morning News has had some really racist comments on their message board.

They removed the worst ones but there is still an awful lot of crap being posted.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:20 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
why shouldn't they?

travel insurance is supposed to pick up the tab for events like these.
I agree wholeheartedly. Taking the devils advocate stance you coud say, the poor people without flood insurance who have lost everything should have HAD flood insurance so don't expect any help brothers.

It is an appalling situation and my heart goes out to everyone in that region.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.