Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Realistic Requests in ReLo Package?

Realistic Requests in ReLo Package?

Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:59 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realistic Requests in ReLo Package?

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
HR's my main background and when I came back to the UK earlier in the year and looked for employment I was utterly astounded at the lack of interest HR departments and relocation wholesalers had in my experience as an expat myself as well as having dealt with expats in a professional capacity whilst abroad.

Policies are policies and that will always be, but just dealing with someone who has an ounce of understanding in these situations is often enough to tip the balance. What can ya do eh? People who have never made a move just have no clue.
Our relocation person was a complete idiot. She knew absolutely nothing, had obviously never moved from her office chair let alone a country and her answer to everything was "Google it".
We fell out eventually.
Our realtor saved the day and did most of the things the relo woman should have done.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
HR's my main background and when I came back to the UK earlier in the year and looked for employment I was utterly astounded at the lack of interest HR departments and relocation wholesalers had in my experience as an expat myself as well as having dealt with expats in a professional capacity whilst abroad.

Policies are policies and that will always be, but just dealing with someone who has an ounce of understanding in these situations is often enough to tip the balance. What can ya do eh? People who have never made a move just have no clue.
Why couldn't we have dealt with someone like you?

I couldn't have put it better myself. That was exactly what we were looking for. Just the tiniest recognition of what we going through. All we got was policy this, policy that, condescending remarks, downright rudeness, lies and evasion. I doubt the person we have been dealing with has ever moved buildings let alone continents! Absolutely clueless.
Having to follow policies doesn't need to mean that - sympathetic, understanding but firm - fair enough.

It's a shame that HR companies don't value your experience. Spend $100,000s on advertising, recruitment agencies, sift through 300 applications and then potentially lose your choice - absolute madness!!

By contrast, our relo advisor has lived on and relocated from 3 continents and understood our needs and concerns immediately. It makes all the difference.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
If you can get it, it is worth it, because there are a lot of things you just plain take for granted in the UK, mostly really simple mundane every day things that are just done differently here from public transport, to getting some booze to bigger things like what does co-pay, deductions and level of cover from an HMO or PPO medical cover (right down to what will it cost you if you call an ambulance - a mate had to call one, he got charged $850 for a 10 min drive, but insurance eventually paid as he called direct rather than under advice of his doctor).

But there are plenty of other things, just knowing what brands are equivalent to the UK, what sort of laundry detergent or soaps to use are different etc, everyone goes through trying to figure the mundane day to day things in life, but it's nice having a heads up, because a native has had a life time of this so it's second nature....just like your getting you head around the whole car thing.
Cultural training - I get it now....and I think we're going to need some (Well, a lot actually).

Originally Posted by jumping doris
They all sound really trivial but they're not when you are coping with a million and one other things as well. On the surface it seems as though the UK and the USA are very similar and we all know what to expect anyway from the movies
In reality it was the small, everyday things that caught me out and really got me down at times.
Based on previous moves, I think it must be regarded as the most important item for settling in. I too found it was the small things that got to you.
Italy was like moving to the UK as it was 30 years ago - half-day closing, no Sunday opening, hardly any supermarkets and loads of tiny shops you only knew about from other people. I thought baked beans were a universal food - wrong!

I thought I was quite aware of the differences in cultures between Europe and the USA - now I realize that I have completely underestimated it. It isn't just the broad items - it's the minutiae as well.

I am trying to learn. I suspect I will be scanning this forum for a long time to come. Search is my friend!!

Last edited by sangiano; Sep 14th 2007 at 9:44 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:17 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sangiano
...I am trying to learn. I suspect I will be scanning this forum for a long time to come. Search is my friend!!
Let me be the first to say... WOW!... I'm impressed... why can't all new BE members be like you?!?!

Not only is the "Search" button invisible on the screens of 99.9% of new posters, but when pointed out to them they tend to take it rather badly, given that the universe revolves around them and their totally, completely and utterly unique question ("Can I use my British TV in America?" springs to mind).

I look forward to helping answer any questions you do have, safe in the knowledge that you may have actually looked to see if it's been asked before!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:30 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I thought baked beans were a universal food - wrong!
I live in Pittsburgh, the home of Heinz and we cannot buy Heinz baked beans, as we know them.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:32 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth would you want to buy Heinz baked beans when you can buy Bush's that are laden with sugar and maple syrup and topped off with a massive quivering blob of pork fat? Or did I just answer my own question....

Heinz up to 1.79 our way now (from 1.09 2 years ago....)
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Pittsburgh, the home of Heinz and we cannot buy Heinz baked beans, as we know them.
Try Shop n Stop...they usually sell them.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:39 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I discovered this thread rather late, but here's my view:

You're all bloody spoiled if you got an organized relocation package!

My company had never done an international relocation (and probably never will again, after the trouble I put them through!) so their HR said to me "we'll give you $20k - the rest is up to you.

I can honestly say I've never had to manage such a complex project. In the end, with airfare, shipping container, sale of UK house, early mortgage repayment penalty, car rental, new (used) cars, apartment for the first 9 months, new electrical goods etc., etc. I calculated that the relocation cost us well over $50k.

Oh, and our HR department screwed up my relocation payment, so not only did I not get it until two months after I arrived in the US, but it had been taxed into practical nonexistence, and I had to wait for my first year's tax refund to get most of it back.

So yeah, all the advice you've been given sounds great, and I'm still jealous of you, even 4 years after our relocation trauma!
You lucky lucky bu99er!! Not wanting to get into an "I lived in a carboard box in the middle lane of the M1" sort of conversation but....I'd have been very happy with 20k....

We were in Singapore, wife 5 months pregnant, got fired, visas rescinded (I was there on an accompanying spouse visa) and a month to get out. Paid our own way here, including the 40' container, all the flights everything. Kinda pricey....To be fair, it was simplified by wife being a USC so I DCF'd really quickly in Singapore, but apart from that it was a real hassle. Not really what was needed when she was 6 (at the time we actually left) months pregnant. Then when we got here no OBGYN's would touch her cos she was too far gone....(and the beans were crap).

Our initial move to singapore, by contrast was a piece of cake - worked for a major oil company at the time, and they liked to keep their expats happy, the main technique employed being throwing lots of money and big company resources at them! Worked fine, but did mean we were shielded from realising quite how much was involved in moving overseas because they made it so easy...

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Sep 16th 2007 at 1:43 am.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 10:10 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Try Shop n Stop...they usually sell them.
We don't have Stop and Shop. I can get them in Giant Eagle but they are really expensive.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 10:11 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Why on earth would you want to buy Heinz baked beans when you can buy Bush's that are laden with sugar and maple syrup and topped off with a massive quivering blob of pork fat? Or did I just answer my own question....

That sounds disgusting.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 12:42 am

That sounds disgusting.
Yup, brings a whole new dimension to the Blazing saddles scene....
Old Sep 17th 2007, 12:21 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

You can get them with onions as well...
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:03 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You can get them with onions as well...
Well that makes them sound delicious. Hand me my first can.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:09 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Well that makes them sound delicious. Hand me my first can.

The quivering blob of pork fat is just for flavor, you don't have to eat it unless you want to.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:30 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
The quivering blob of pork fat is just for flavor, you don't have to eat it unless you want to.
I thought perhaps the onions had replaced the quivering blob of pork fat.
I think I'll pass.