British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Real name or actor name visa question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/real-name-actor-name-visa-question-241482/)

caracal Jul 11th 2004 2:26 pm

Real name or actor name visa question

This is a new question, I think.

Back in 1991 I was convicted and sent to prison for 6 months of which I only had to serve 3 months.

It was for obtaining a mortgage with false details which everyone was doing at the time but I got caught.

Now I have the chance to go to the US with a theatre company but my passport is in my professional name which is different to the one I was convicted under.

I even changed my name by deed poll to my professional one so that stupid mistake I made 13 years ago would be forgotten.

Now I see the bit about having to declare a conviction even though it is spent under British Law.

If I declare the conviction it's going to cause a huge delay in the application and I'll miss my chance to go to the US with this tour and this is the first work I've had in ages.

I know legally and morally I should declare but it's so long ago and so minor it feels unfair.

What would be your advice?

Ray Jul 11th 2004 3:13 pm

Re: Real name or actor name visa question

Originally posted by caracal
I know legally and morally I should declare but it's so long ago and so minor it feels unfair. What would be your advice?
You answered your own question... speeding is minor ...Fraud is not...

elfman Jul 11th 2004 3:14 pm

I would advise you that you might get a little more sympathy without the claim that "everyone was doing it at the time" - no we weren't.

Even if other people were then that's no excuse for your own actions.

rincewind Jul 11th 2004 3:26 pm

What would be your advice?
Don't waste your time or money on trying.

Fraud is fraud....period.

Ray Jul 11th 2004 3:26 pm

Originally posted by elfman
I would advise you that you might get a little more sympathy without the claim that "everyone was doing it at the time" - no we weren't.

Even if other people were then that's no excuse for your own actions.
Although your not as bad as this guy..maybe!!!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=241479

rincewind Jul 11th 2004 3:31 pm

Originally posted by ray6
Although your not as bad as this guy..maybe!!!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=241479
Nice reply to that thread too ray :D

caracal Jul 11th 2004 3:33 pm

just criticism

No, you're right. It isn't minor. It just feels so long ago and it's the only thing I've ever done wrong. I never would have thought it would come back to haunt me like this.

As to "everyone was doing it" - to a certain degree this is true as it was the frenzy of the yuppie/Thatcher years in England where no-one was checking anything in the race to get as many voters on the property ladder as possible.

No excuse, I know. I knew it was wrong when I did it and I confessed as soon as I was caught. That's another reason I got such a small sentence and my understanding is that I have a chance if the sentence was 6 months or less - which in my case it was.

However I have paid for it. I did my time and the law here is that is enough, I do not have to ever mention it again under any circumstances. It's going to work in the US which seems to be the problem.

So the question still stands. Should I declare or shall I continue with my new life?

Ash UK/US Jul 11th 2004 3:37 pm

I seem to remember being asked on the INS forms if I had been known by any other names wouldn't they find out if you answered that ... and it be deception if you didn't?

Ash :)

rincewind Jul 11th 2004 3:41 pm

So the question still stands. Should I declare or shall I continue with my new life?
There is your problem. You still seem content to commit fraud by not declaring.

Also, even if you didn't mention it, the background check will reveal your conviction, name change or not.

You have to declare name changes on applications, failure to do so is....well.....fraud.

So your problems are:

1) Don't declare it, and your case will be even worse as you lied on your application

2) Declare it and have your application rejected.

As to "everyone was doing it" - to a certain degree this is true as it was the frenzy of the yuppie/Thatcher years in England where no-one was checking anything in the race to get as many voters on the property ladder as possible.
That is no excuse.

Personally, you need to realize that your fraudulent past is going to prevent you from coming to the US.

Ray Jul 11th 2004 3:42 pm

So the question you are having trouble with, is should I commit fraud again? Jeez!!! I have a racoon in the yard with more brains...

caracal Jul 11th 2004 3:49 pm

thank you

Thank you, gentlemen.

I had fully intended to declare it as I didn't want a lie hanging over me all the time I was in the US. I'd been honest up to 1991 and honest ever since and I wasn't going to fall off the wagon just so I could visit the US.

There are many other countries in the world and I don't want an American rejection on my passport.

I will submit all the correct documents and let the cards fall as they will.

Ray Jul 11th 2004 3:51 pm

Re: thank you

Originally posted by caracal
I will submit all the correct documents and let the cards fall as they will.
There you go !! you knew the answer all the time ..Best of Luck..