REAL ID

Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REAL ID

Originally Posted by ScousePete
There have been many times when we have just been waved through, slowing down without actually stopping. However, one time each and every car was stopped. The first question out of the officer's mouth was, "Is everyone in the vehicle a USC?"

Now I'm sure it would have been the easiest thing in the world to say yes and we would have probably been waved on, but as my citizenship interview was a week away and one of the questions asked is "have you ever claimed to be a USC" it wasn't something I even considered.

He asked if I was a permanent resident and I said yes. He asked to see my GC. It took a while as I had put my wallet in my gf's handbag which had fallen down on the back seat, but he waited patiently until I found the bag, wallet and produced the card.

I guess I could have been ones of those wankers on the video and said you have no right to see my card and got into an argument, but my time is much more important to me than trying to prove I'm right and risk getting sent to a room for questioning.
Since this thread just got resurrected, I thought I'd pass on my own experience earlier this month. I drove across the AZ/CA state border on I-10 with my 85 year old mum next to me in the car. Right before the actual state border, there was a BP temporary post setup, and we had to stop. The guy asked me, "is everyone in the car a citizen?" I answered honestly, "I am, but my mum here is visiting me from UK". He said "Do you have your passport?"; as my mum fumbled to get her bag, the guy smiled and said "don't bother", and waved us through.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I'm not taking my passport or green card with me to fly domestically. That's insane. Has anyone pointed out to the 9/11 commission that the weapons the hijackers used were perfectly legal to take on an aircraft and that no amount of increasing ID checks would stop that.
Aren't you supposed to be carrying your green card with you to begin with?

"If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid green card in your possession at all times."

Link
Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

"If you are a permanent resident age 18 or older, you are required to have a valid green card in your possession at all times."

Link
As Steerpike's little story illustrates, unless you are traveling while brown you'll probably be fine.

No guarantee implied or otherwise.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:22 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Link
I refuse to carry it. Never been asked for it either, and if I was they can look it up on their computer or take a look at a copy on my Dropbox.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:23 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
As Steerpike's little story illustrates, unless you are traveling while brown you'll probably be fine.

No guarantee implied or otherwise.
Indeed. I'm a middle class white guy with a Oxford British accent. I've never even had my immigration status here questioned let alone investigated. Quite disappointed really. Even the CHP officer in CA didn't ask about my status when he pulled me for a red light infraction. They (local & state law enforcement) simply don't care - unless you're not white.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Oct 27th 2014 at 1:26 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. I'm a middle class white guy with a Oxford British accent. I've never even had my immigration status here questioned let alone investigated. Quite disappointed really. Even the CHP officer in CA didn't ask about my status when he pulled me for a red light infraction. They (local & state law enforcement) simply don't care - unless you're not white.
California police doesn't check the immigration status of people. In California, illegal immigrants can legally get driver's license.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael
California police doesn't check the immigration status of people. In California, illegal immigrants can legally get driver's license.
Really? Christ almighty.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Christ almighty.
It's strange because the license has a notation (driving privileges only) that isn't indicated on a normal license but illegals get them since they aren't concerned that the police will use it to check their immigration status. It is sensible to issue driver's license since they will drive anyway and will be uninsured. If they have a license, they can register a car but it has to be insured.

Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael
It's strange because the license has a notation (driving privileges only) that isn't indicated on a normal license but illegals get them since they aren't concerned that the police will use it to check their immigration status. It is sensible to issue driver's license since they will drive anyway and will be uninsured. If they have a license, they can register a car but it has to be insured.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/ass...-story-top.jpg
Appreciate the point about them just driving anyway - I guess law breaking comes naturally to them. I still don't approve of granting them licences. Surprised MA hasn't yet granted them that given they're usually falling over to help out law breakers.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciate the point about them just driving anyway - I guess law breaking comes naturally to them. I still don't approve of granting them licences. Surprised MA hasn't yet granted them that given they're usually falling over to help out law breakers.
And yet you freely admit to "refusing" to obey the law that you must carry your Green Card with you at all times.

Curious.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The problem is that they drive other people's cars that are legal and insured but if they have an accident, the insurance usually doesn't pay off. So instead of having a lot of uninsured drivers on the road that could cause a lot of damage, it solves that problem. Even if I have full coverage and an uninsured motorist hits me, my liability/collusion is more difficult to collect from since it's your insurance company and they aren't representing me but are representing themselves. Therefore I may have to hire a lawyer to sue my own insurance company to collect.

That's better than nothing which is what we had before.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 27th 2014 at 2:42 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

California wouldn't function without these 'law breakers'.

This article gives you an idea of the reality of the situation:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/us...ence.html?_r=0

And this article, from a pretty balanced publication, gives a real sense of what these guys go through and why.
Migrant farm workers: Fields of tears | The Economist
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steerpike
California wouldn't function without these 'law breakers'.
I know. I've read all about it. I simply don't care. They're not welcome. They should bugger off back across the border and not come back. That goes for the Eastern Europeans that have flooded into England also, but unfortunately they've got the legal right to stay in England.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Oct 27th 2014 at 2:55 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rpjs
And yet you freely admit to "refusing" to obey the law that you must carry your Green Card with you at all times.
Don't let your misunderstanding of criminal v civil law affect your judgement, eh?

I'll help fill the blanks for you: driving without a licence is a criminal offence. Not carrying an I-551 is a civil offence (and rarely, if ever, enforced).
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Don't let your misunderstanding of criminal v civil law affect your judgement, eh?

I'll help fill the blanks for you: driving without a licence is a criminal offence. Not carrying an I-551 is a civil offence (and rarely, if ever, enforced).
I didn't carry mine either, unless I was travelling. They're expensive to replace and if I needed to show ID for buying beer or whatever I had a driving licence.

Number of times I was asked to present my green card to anyone other than a border agent (or when I gave them back at my oath ceremony) in three years as a PR? Zero.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.