Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Quit after receiving GC

Quit after receiving GC

Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Jholmes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quit after receiving GC

I am not being ungrateful , I was intending to pursue my career in the company that brought me here and sponsored me for GC but due to changing circumtances, disagreement with management style etc, I am thinking of quitting the company after 5 months of receiving my GC. Is there an immigration rule to how long should I stay with the employer after receiving the GC?
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quit after receiving GC

Originally Posted by Jholmes
I am not being ungrateful , I was intending to pursue my career in the company that brought me here and sponsored me for GC but due to changing circumtances, disagreement with management style etc, I am thinking of quitting the company after 5 months of receiving my GC. Is there an immigration rule to how long should I stay with the employer after receiving the GC?
You may have a contract with them stating you will reimburse
all legal cost incurred ... but other than that you are free to leave
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:27 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

There is no set time period. The general feeling in the immigration forums is that you should stay for at least 1 year else you may have problems when you try to get citizenship in 5 years time.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 3:43 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
There is no set time period. The general feeling in the immigration forums is that you should stay for at least 1 year else you may have problems when you try to get citizenship in 5 years time.
My wife bought our contract out after two weeks ( long story) We had no problems