Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

quick question

quick question

Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: quick question

Originally Posted by doc d
thanks!
i don't want to break laws either and i'm not asking for peoples interpretations or feelings on what they think visa laws will be in my situation, nor am i asking for opinions on what people think of my situation or what i'm "planning" to do. i'm asking for experiences of trying to solve a specific question. so far i've had three or four good answers; the rest has been opinion elevated to fact, opinion on my personal situation and whether or not trafford is part of manchester. it is. part of greater manchester. but not manchester city.
What part of no, she can't work on a H4 did you not understand then, when I posted it on Post #2 of the thread.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:49 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbickle
Your wife can't work, or do anything that resembles work, while on an H4. No matter how much you want people to sugar-coat their answers, the plain fact is that she can't work.
And that includes Tupperware parties, Mary Kay parties.....and although I think it would go down a storm amongst the expats out here (but not the locals methinks) an Ann Summers party.....
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

doc d is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dbickle
Your wife can't work, or do anything that resembles work, while on an H4. No matter how much you want people to sugar-coat their answers, the plain fact is that she can't work.

Good luck with getting your lamp to work.....
i wasn't ever after a sugar coating. oh ffs. look, the first point was "can she ework?" this got answered no. fine. i'm cool with that. then it descends into "satellite uplinks" and i try to pull it back to where it should be going. then i rephrase to see if i can get a specific answer to a specific question : "has anyone any experience of sole-trading?"
now i haven't had a direct answer to this, and if i do i'll be happy. i'm certainly not relying on an internet forum of diverse and happy people to be my legal consul. i am asking for experiences. of a set question. we've answered the lamp question. again a simple question, with simple framing. i'm not asking you all to be a support network and "help me through this difficult time" or "do my searching for me".
i was drawing on, what i assumed to be the power of the internet and discussion forums bringing people with similar experiences together, in the hope that someone might have had a similar experience.

jesus wept.
i'm presuming there are a lot of h1-b visa holders on here, which means you must have some sort of academic qualification to obtain said visa. so. can we stay within the frame of the questions i've asked? its not exceedingly difficult is it?
or have we all been over here too long and are now incapable of answering the question asked?

thanks for the advice on the lamps though.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:57 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus Christ, it's like talking to a fucking brick wall.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately you never took the early advice and went to the US visa section.. where most everybody is on an H visa...

and is the place we would go for that type of info ..there are real experts there ..
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I think we've flogged this thread to death
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I think we've flogged this thread to death
Close it Boss.....
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter how many times you ask or in which forum you ask the answer will still be NO your wife cannot work on H4.

I gave you a 'sensible' answer earlier but you seem to have completely ignored it in the hope that someone will tell you different.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:27 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by mandpete
It doesn't matter how many times you ask or in which forum you ask the answer will still be NO your wife cannot work on H4.

I gave you a 'sensible' answer earlier but you seem to have completely ignored it in the hope that someone will tell you different.
Heres a different perspective:

Theres a local lap dancing club near me where I believe most of the talented ladies are apaprently from Romania and possibly entered on VWP or B visas (I could be wrong and maybe you can get an H1B for lapdancing) and they seem to be earning a reasonable living (er, so Ive been told). So, hey, if your wife wanna earn a buck then whats to stop her? Of course Im not sure how the USCIS et al would take it. She could always utilise the lamp as well in the event the rewiring fails.

Oh and please note Im not a lawyer and this does not consitute legal advice. So if she gets caught its not my problem.

Last edited by ImHere; Jun 20th 2005 at 6:30 pm.

Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I think a couple of people here have said that your wife will not be able to work until you both get your green cards. This is not true. She will be allowed to apply for employment authorization (EAD) when you both apply for adjustment of status/AOS/GC. At that point, it normally takes about 2 months to get the EAD.

So one way would be for her to stay in the UK until you get your immigrant visa, at which point she could get her H4 and you both apply for AOS.

Alternatively, your wife would be allowed to study, and after one year's residence, would be eligible for in-state fees. So maybe she might fancy getting another degree?

But living here on an H4 sucks. Speaking from experience...

Elvira
Old Jun 20th 2005, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ImHere
Heres a different perspective:

Theres a local lap dancing club near me where I believe most of the talented ladies are apaprently from Romania and possibly entered on VWP or B visas (I could be wrong and maybe you can get an H1B for lapdancing) and they seem to be earning a reasonable living (er, so Ive been told). So, hey, if your wife wanna earn a buck then whats to stop her? Of course Im not sure how the USCIS et al would take it. She could always utilise the lamp as well in the event the rewiring fails.

Oh and please note Im not a lawyer and this does not consitute legal advice. So if she gets caught its not my problem.
I am pretty sure that would be EB-2, Professionals & Persons of Exceptional Ability, they are of exceptional ability I trust.

and going back to my original thoughts, you can certainly telecommute on a B1, the H4 issue does not seem comparable so obviously no help here.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

What's a sole trader?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:13 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by dunroving
What's a sole trader?
Fishmonger
Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:15 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Ray
Fishmonger
this is no plaice for jokes like that.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:19 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Manc
this is no plaice for jokes like that.
Cod off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.