Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

quick question

quick question

Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: quick question

Originally Posted by doc d
much like trafford is almost salford.
except it isn't a complete and utter shithole.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

mmm. quick question:
1) lamps. will ones from the uk work over here. if i stick a new plug on them? i can't see why not.

2) working. my wife will be on h-4. which means no working. but. can she do "e-work" for a company based in the uk if she's paid into a UK bank account. ie she's a self-employed consultant based in the UK being paid by a UK firm into a UK bank but working within the USA.
1) Lamps. As someone else has said - change the bulb for a 110V one (assuming this can physically be done - I bought overe a nice uplighter with a halogen bulb that was physically identical to the 110V one in Walmart) and change the plug. Even if the lamp has a fancy dimmer this will almost certainly still work.

2) Why can't the husband "do" ( the work? Who the hell would know who is actually performing the task??? IRS is happy (they still get the tax), wife is happy (she keeps busy and makes some money)???
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
except it isn't a complete and utter shithole.

Excuse me there are some very nice areas in the ever expanding Salford.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
Excuse me there are some very nice areas in the ever expanding Salford.
The East Lancs Rd outta there being one
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:53 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by AndySmithers
2) Why can't the husband "do" ( the work? Who the hell would know who is actually performing the task??? IRS is happy (they still get the tax), wife is happy (she keeps busy and makes some money)???
because that would be advocating something illegal.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

doc d is on a distinguished road

because that would be advocating something illegal.
and as we've taken nearly 5 pages to get people to realise i'm not after that, we don't want to go back down that road again. do we?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:07 pm
@matthewb76

and as we've taken nearly 5 pages to get people to realise i'm not after that, we don't want to go back down that road again. do we?
I was just speaking generally.

threads do tend to go off topic after the third page anyways
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:32 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

they're the options we (wife and i) have already come up with.
i'm asking an internet forum, where everyone thinks they're an expert on something. i wanted the reasons why people thought so. not conjecture, not opinion on what they thought i'm trying to do.
If you ask an Internet forum, you must co-exist happily with the culture on that forum, not insist that everyone conform to your etiquette.

Fact is subjective. Even were you to ask an immigration lawyer you MIGHT get an incorrect answer. But you'd get less opinion and more fact. You want the closest thing to fact, ask USCIS or an immigration lawyer. The rules change, and what was okay a couple of years back might not be okay today.

You are insulting some of the most knowledgeable and helpful members of this forum (and I'm NOT including myself here). If you plan to stay around I'd change your attitude.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snowbunny

You are insulting some of the most knowledgeable and helpful members of this forum (and I'm NOT including myself here). If you plan to stay around I'd change your attitude.
no, i'm not. i'm spelling my question out directly and in fairly plain english. if i was getting insulting, i'd have started effing and jeffing a long time ago.

i was asking a fairly simple question. with specific guidelines.
i was trying to keep it on track.
if that's insulting, sweetheart, then it must be awful everytime you use an automated telephone menu.

Last edited by doc d; Jun 20th 2005 at 4:54 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: quick question

no, i'm not. i'm spelling my question out directly and in fairly plain english. if i was getting insulting, i'd have started effing and jeffing a long time ago.

i was asking a fairly simple question. with specific guidelines.
i was trying to keep it on track.
if that's insulting, sweetheart, then it must be awful everytime you use an automated telephone menu.

Straight from "the horse's mouth" ie. the US Embassy in London:

scroll down to the bottom of the page to see what it says about *Working* on an H-4 Visa:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/work.html
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:10 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Straight from "the horse's mouth" ie. the US Embassy in London:

scroll down to the bottom of the page to see what it says about *Working* on an H-4 Visa:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/work.html
yeah but can anyone give him a more specific answer than that?
does anyone have more experience of H4 visa's than the US Embassy?
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:25 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Condoleeza Rice?

OP, if you worked on an L-1 visa, my reading is that your wife might be able to work on an L-2 visa. However, I don't know if your employer could sponsor you on an L-1 -- only you do.

And you probably knew that anyway.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:29 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: quick question

No of course not....but that's what 'Doc' doesn't want to hear is it?

For what it's worth Doc, my husband has an L1-A visa. I have an L2 and so does our 16 year old son. I am allowed to work in the US - my husband's company even arranged for me to get work authorisation, and I was fortunate to then be entitled (purely because of having an EAD) to have a Social Security number.

On the other hand, our 16 year old son's friends will all be working over the school Summer holidays which begin on Friday here. My son *can't* work because his visa doesn't entitle him to (and the company's visa attorneys - Fragomen - who are very well known around the world - checked for us). We won't even consider him doing a cash job....it's not worth the risk and my husband's employers would not be happy if anyone in our family is breaking US visa laws.

Your wife will either need her own 'H' or 'L' visa allowing her to work in her own right, or you will have to have an 'L' visa yourself then she can apply for EAD on her L2 (but can only apply after she has relocated to the US)
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishmum
We won't even consider him doing a cash job....it's not worth the risk and my husband's employers would not be happy if anyone in our family is breaking US visa laws.

Your wife will either need her own 'H' or 'L' visa allowing her to work in her own right, or you will have to have an 'L' visa yourself then she can apply for EAD on her L2 (but can only apply after she has relocated to the US)
thanks!
i don't want to break laws either and i'm not asking for peoples interpretations or feelings on what they think visa laws will be in my situation, nor am i asking for opinions on what people think of my situation or what i'm "planning" to do. i'm asking for experiences of trying to solve a specific question. so far i've had three or four good answers; the rest has been opinion elevated to fact, opinion on my personal situation and whether or not trafford is part of manchester. it is. part of greater manchester. but not manchester city.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:40 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

thanks!
i don't want to break laws either and i'm not asking for peoples interpretations or feelings on what they think visa laws will be in my situation, nor am i asking for opinions on what people think of my situation or what i'm "planning" to do. i'm asking for experiences of trying to solve a specific question. so far i've had three or four good answers; the rest has been opinion elevated to fact, opinion on my personal situation and whether or not trafford is part of manchester. it is. part of greater manchester. but not manchester city.
Your wife can't work, or do anything that resembles work, while on an H4. No matter how much you want people to sugar-coat their answers, the plain fact is that she can't work.

Good luck with getting your lamp to work.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.