Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Quick Health Plan advice

Quick Health Plan advice

Old Aug 22nd 2017, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick Health Plan advice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The revelation for us was realising that point: with high deductible insurance and an HSA the worst possible outcome was that we would be as badly off as of we had stuck with traditional insurance,
In general, that depends on your relative after-tax cost of the "regular" and HDHP insurance and the size of your deductible/copayments in each plan, taking into account any contribution your employer makes to the HSA.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
but every year we used few medical services we would be streets ahead.
Agreed.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick Health Plan advice

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter

My thinking is, that with the $6k deductible plan, what is gained by lower premiums would be lost in bills right away. However I do believe the maximum out of pocket amount in the $3k deductible is actually higher than the $6k deductible plan.

I would appreciate some advice, as I'm feeling quite stressed by the thought of potentially having $12k in medical bills for this yr and next and feeling like I'll never be able to build any substantial savings up in my HSA.
If I am reading this correctly you are 'planning' on taking a hammer to the health plan next year regardless of the plan you take out.
If this is the case then I would think that the Max OOP value is going to be the key in the decision on which plan to take for next year. (If you believe that the costs you incur are going to reach this level.)

20% of a lot is still a lot.
I had one incident this year that meant going from a long way from the deductible to immediately at the max OOP in the blink of an eye.