Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question For USA residents with US social security

Question For USA residents with US social security

Old Jul 28th 2017, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

SheilaT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question For USA residents with US social security

I'm applying for US social security and I get a small amount from the U.K. Pensions each month. SSA in the US is asking me for a letter confirming I am covered under the Totalization Agreement. The U.K. Pensions office has no idea what they are talking about. They send a form letter out with amount and indicating no tax taken out, but didn't know what other letter could be needed. This was with 2 phone calls to Newcastle to confirm. and I got the same response both times. US SSA is saying thats not enough and I should ask for a supervisor. Didn't have to do this with my husbands application. And mine is just a basic pension. Anyone had a similar experience?
Old Jul 29th 2017, 10:24 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question For USA residents with US social security

Originally Posted by SheilaT
I'm applying for US social security and I get a small amount from the U.K. Pensions each month. SSA in the US is asking me for a letter confirming I am covered under the Totalization Agreement. The U.K. Pensions office has no idea what they are talking about. They send a form letter out with amount and indicating no tax taken out, but didn't know what other letter could be needed. This was with 2 phone calls to Newcastle to confirm. and I got the same response both times. US SSA is saying thats not enough and I should ask for a supervisor. Didn't have to do this with my husbands application. And mine is just a basic pension. Anyone had a similar experience?
Sheila, you should probably re-post this question in the USA section. If you do a search in that section, you'll find other threads that discuss the ins & outs of Social Security payments, requirements, etc.

The Totalization Agreement & what it means for people with UK & US pensions comes up often & some there are knowledgeable about it.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 6:01 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

When my wife and I claimed our SS we were already in receipt of our UK State pensions. Neither of us were asked for any such letter. In fact we didn't even have to provide written proof of the amounts we received from the UK. They accepted our verbal statements, made in a phone call, sworn under oath as to the amounts of our UK pensions. That was it in regards to the UK pensions.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

SheilaT is an unknown quantity at this point

Lansbury - How long ago was that?
Old Jul 30th 2017, 7:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Lansbury - How long ago was that?
We applied April 2015 to start July 2015.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 2:47 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

How may years of US SS tax payments do you have?