Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

question: uk to usa (paying off student loan)

question: uk to usa (paying off student loan)

Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

MissD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question: uk to usa (paying off student loan)

Hello,
I am a British Citizen and wish to move to the states in 3 years time.
I am a graduate but in the process of paying of my student loan (not an overdraft) handed to me by the Student Loan Company, this money is deducted monthly from my paycheck.
I do not see this being paid off within 3 years -
am I able to immigrate to the usa - I don't want to skip paying for this - ideally I would like to pay this off in the same manor
- am I still able to immigrate, I don't know what the rules are?
- happy for any advice you may have?
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question: uk to usa (paying off student loan)

Forget the loan until you figure out if you can move here. Wishing to isn't going to get you too far.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MissD
Hello,
I am a British Citizen and wish to move to the states in 3 years time.
I am a graduate but in the process of paying of my student loan (not an overdraft) handed to me by the Student Loan Company, this money is deducted monthly from my paycheck.
am I able to immigrate to the usa - I don't want to skip paying for this - ideally I would like to pay this off in the same manor
If you do find your way out here, you can still pay off your student loans out here. You won't be able to pay it in the same way as you do right now (as an automatic deduction from your pay check). You will have to work out how much you owe each month, and work out with the SLC how you will get it to them. You will have to let them know that you are leaving the country, and they will send you the appropriate forms to fill out.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:48 am
Just Joined

MissD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey English Bride - thanks for that - are you speaking from first hand experience?
I heard a rumor that the usa doesn't accept immigration applications if you have debt - is a student loan a exception? or is there no truth in rumour.
thanks
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:35 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

debt is nothing to do with immigration. You need to work out what visa you will be using to get here - or its all a pipe dream. Check Paulskis way in the wiki on this site for a list of all normal methods and see which one fits.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Also, remember - the Student Loans Company are a bunch of muppets!

My wife rang them, filled in their paperwork and sent it off. Then got a letter from them saying that they needed a letter from the company saying how much she would make, even though she sent them a copy of her pay slip.

Didn't hear anything for a while, and then got a letter one day saying that she was in arrears with them.

Gave them a ring, and apparently - they sent her a letter saying how much she had to pay, but it must have got lost in the post. They tried to demand the arrears payment. Managed to make an arrangement with them after 1/2 hour on the phone.

Couple of days later, the original latter turned up, postmarked a couple of days AFTER the payment was due.

Oh - and she got a phone call from them last week telling her that she was arrears with her payment.

Like i said, they are a bunch of muppets!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissD
Whether or not you can immigrate to the US has nothing to do with your student loans. What is your plan for immigration?