Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question regarding FATCA (8938) for US citizens with foreign bank

Wikiposts

Question regarding FATCA (8938) for US citizens with foreign bank

Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding FATCA (8938) for US citizens with foreign bank

Originally Posted by manny1980
Hello:
I have joint bank accounts with my mother in the UK, which in dollar totals approx. $170K
If I understand your situation correctly, you have an joint account with a 'Foreign Person' (even if it's your mother). In this case, you have to declare the full value of the account on Form 8938. You have to report an account of $170K.

Last edited by theOAP; Jan 29th 2012 at 9:49 am.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That is your opinion and I may not agree with it, but I respect your opinion. The whole purpose here is to help others and this is specifically for concerns regarding people "Moving Back to the UK". Although it is disappointed as I expected a more responsible reply from someone who supposedly has a title of a "Moderator". Thank you.
I pointed you in the right direction though, where you'd be able to best search out info.

Because returning to the UK makes no difference to the requirements or not as anyone resident in the US, USC's and LPR's would be required to file if eligible regardless, so you'd have more luck finding the info you wanted. This also still has nothing what so ever to do with UK taxes and the moving to the UK also happens to be irrelevant to your question.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

The 10 O'clock news has gone and past, it's bedy bye time, so before anyone asks the inevitable question:

The $100k threshold is for spouses (each holding an interest in the joint account). It does not include Foreign Persons who are not filing a joint return with you. (8938 Instructions - page 2, column 3, bottom - Joint interests.) There is no example for your situation. The final reading is on page 4, column 3, "Interests in jointly owned assets".

Also, page 5, column 3, "Other joint ownership".

Last edited by theOAP; Jan 29th 2012 at 10:24 am.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I expected a more responsible reply from someone who supposedly has a title of a "Moderator".
Respectfully, you proceed from a false assumption. You'd do well to learn the difference between someone who is a moderator who posts in an official capacity, and someone who is a moderator who posts as a member.

BTW, he doesn't "supposedly" have the title of moderator... he actually has that title.

Ian
Old Jan 29th 2012, 11:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Respectfully, you proceed from a false assumption. You'd do well to learn the difference between someone who is a moderator who posts in an official capacity, and someone who is a moderator who posts as a member.

BTW, he doesn't "supposedly" have the title of moderator... he actually has that title.

Ian
I'd just like to add to your above comments Ian. Bob is one of the nicest, most helpful people on this forum...I don't think there is one person on BE that would argue with that.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
I pointed you in the right direction though, where you'd be able to best search out info.

Because returning to the UK makes no difference to the requirements or not as anyone resident in the US, USC's and LPR's would be required to file if eligible regardless, so you'd have more luck finding the info you wanted. This also still has nothing what so ever to do with UK taxes and the moving to the UK also happens to be irrelevant to your question.
I am sorry but I did not find your response very friendly and this is how I felt when you responded to my query. I don't believe my question had, as you stated, "Bugger all" to do with the UK forum. There are some discussions on FBAR and FATCA on "Moving to the UK" forum and that was the main reason why I asked there as I will be moving to the UK in a few months.

Like Jerseygirl stated, I am sure you are a great guy but your response did upset me as I was expecting a more understanding response. I will however add I may have misunderstood your tone and if I did then I apologize.

I acknowledge any efforts from you to help me out. Best wishes.

Last edited by manny1980; Jan 29th 2012 at 12:09 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 12:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry but I did not find your response very friendly and this is how I felt when you responded to my query. I don't believe my question had, as you stated, "Bugger all" to do with the UK forum. There are some discussions on FBAR and FATCA on "Moving to the UK" forum and that was the main reason why I asked there as I will be moving to the UK in a few months.
Well if suggesting a better place to ask the question or to search out a answer where the majority of similar threads have been posted as well as pointing out how irrelevant the link to the UK and UK taxes might actually be offends you, fair enough.

Good luck and I'll not bother to help in the future
Old Jan 29th 2012, 1:20 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

The way I read it, if you have signing authority over an account (albeit a joint account) with 170k in it, you'll have to file the FATCA because it is over the 100k limit applied to you for married filing jointly here. I don't think the IRS will accept that you only have authority over 85k of it (unless you have some written restriction confirming that your control is restricted).

But, if I were you, I'd call the IRS helpline. I've had reason to call them a few times over the last few years with both business and personal queries, and have always found them to be extremely helpful and professional.