Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mortgage - what must I do/not do in order to get utterly screwed over?

Mortgage - what must I do/not do in order to get utterly screwed over?

Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mortgage - what must I do/not do in order to get utterly screwed over?

The post title says it all methinks...

I thought I'd take a different tack with this...

In buying a house with a US mortgage, what should we do, or not do, to guarantee we'll get utterly screwed over on the house and the mortgage?

I suspect a more interesting/fun way to learn about this...
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:11 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage - what must I do/not do in order to get utterly screwed over?

When we went looking for a house I remember on my list of things I wanted were
No prepayment penalty
Lowest number points that needed to be paid (usually 1% of the mortgage = 1 point)
No PMI (we had a large down payment)
Lowest APR for a 30 year fixed we could find (we've since changed to 15 year fixed for the life of the loan)
I can't think what else we went in asking for.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage - what must I do/not do in order to get utterly screwed over?

You're in phoenix right? Good idea to have a realtor who is working for you, not the seller. A good mortgage broker is a good idea, one you can meet face to face.

Watch out for nasty HOAs and half empty foreclosed developments. Be aware what direction you are commuting in, facing the rising and setting sun both ways hurts.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

So if I DID want to get royally screwed over, based on the responses so far, I should...
  • Ensure the realtor is at least working for the seller, if not for me...
  • Get a really crap, inept, downright felonious mortgage broker - and a dodgy mortgage / finance company
  • And make sure I never meet anybody face to face
  • Ensure I get a nasty HOAs - how would I spot one?
  • Be sure to buy on a half empty foreclosed developments.
  • Commuting into the rising and setting sun both ways.
  • Have a prepayment penalty - the bigger the 'better'
  • A shite PMI
  • A really high rate of interest - easier to get if my FICO score is negative eleventy billion or so

Would this get me well on the way to getting screwed?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

Don't worry too much about "looking for a nasty HOA".
If it's got a HOA - it's nasty....

We made one mistake........buying a house with an HOA......
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Ensure I get a nasty HOAs - how would I spot one?
You'll find it difficult to avoid an HOA in the Valley unless you buy a house built before the 1980s.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You'll find it difficult to avoid an HOA in the Valley unless you buy a house built before the 1980s.
Hmmm.

We live in a 1995 build.

It's pretty crap on balance.

Yesterday we saw a new build. There are some improvements in insulation and windows well worth having. I'd have to have a smoking' deal to buy an older place, and in this market there are great deals everywhere...
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Hmmm.

We live in a 1995 build.

It's pretty crap on balance.

Yesterday we saw a new build. There are some improvements in insulation and windows well worth having. I'd have to have a smoking' deal to buy an older place, and in this market there are great deals everywhere...
Whereabouts are you looking? Think you said you were in the east Valley. There are some nice older homes in east Mesa and Tempe, but you'll not find much in Chandler or Gilbert.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Sits back in his "mid century modern" ranch style house...
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:52 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Sits back in his "mid century modern" ranch style house...
Them's the ones! Plonk it in Arcadia, though, for the best of the best.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Them's the ones! Plonk it in Arcadia, though, for the best of the best.
You know me too well.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you realise that when getting your mortgage quote, to knock a hefty amount off the 'top end' you are given. We were told we were approved up to $240,000.00 odd, but instead bought a house for $160,000.00 so we didn't get stuck with an insurmountable payment.

The thing about a mortgage is you are always getting screwed, at least for the first few years as all you pay is interest. We're two, going on three years in our house now and we've only paid about 7-10k on the principal
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Make sure you realise that when getting your mortgage quote, to knock a hefty amount off the 'top end' you are given. We were told we were approved up to $240,000.00 odd, but instead bought a house for $160,000.00 so we didn't get stuck with an insurmountable payment.

The thing about a mortgage is you are always getting screwed, at least for the first few years as all you pay is interest. We're two, going on three years in our house now and we've only paid about 7-10k on the principal
Yes, despite the crash there is still a huge disparity between what they will lend you and affordability. Don't forget to include insurance and property taxes as well as utilities and all sorts of other monthly outgoings.

Another thing to look out for in mortgages is the ability to make overpayments without penalty. That way you can pay down the principal quicker.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Yes, despite the crash there is still a huge disparity between what they will lend you and affordability. Don't forget to include insurance and property taxes as well as utilities and all sorts of other monthly outgoings.

Another thing to look out for in mortgages is the ability to make overpayments without penalty. That way you can pay down the principal quicker.
Isn't that also one of the reasons for the crash as well - lenders offering stupidly high mortgagaes and people who couldn't afford them taking the offers and getting raped?

I'll echo your second paragraph, we have one of those, it's nice to be able to pay down a bit more principal when we have the extra dough.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's inevitable that it'll happen, it's just a case of how much lube you can cram in there first to ease the pain

Certainly don't expect it to be a quick process, if you budget it taking you six months, at least you won't get narked off when it takes that long and will be happy with it taking less time. It can happen very quickly, but for a first time buyer and with limited credit history it may not.

Though it does all depend on local market conditions, it's not easy where I am for instance.

Things to look out for, what fee's the bank might soak up if you sign up with them...what kind of penalties you might face if you pull out of the deal and what kind of penalties you can chuck at the seller if they pull out of the deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.