Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question for Long Time People

Question for Long Time People

Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

velkyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for Long Time People

Sorry about "long time people" thing, couldn't think of anything better.

Anyway, I was wondering to myself this morning whether the politics here have always been so poisonous?

Those of you who have been here for a long tie, what differences have you seen?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for Long Time People

Originally Posted by velkyal
Anyway, I was wondering to myself this morning whether the politics here have always been so poisonous?
While I think that things have gotten slightly worse over the 25 years that I have been here - particularly with regard to the level of animosity between Democrats and Republicans in Congress - it has always been pretty bad

If there was a "golden age" of US politics it was well and truly over by the time that I arrived in 1987 (half way through Regan's last term).
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:07 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065

If there was a "golden age" of US politics it was well and truly over by the time that I arrived in 1987 (half way through Regan's last term).
Watergate was in full flood when I arrived -- can't get much grubbier than Tricky Dick and his henchmen!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Watergate was in full flood when I arrived -- can't get much grubbier than Tricky Dick and his henchmen!
Actually that was primary republican against republican since the most outspoken critics of Nixon were New England republicans who were part of the judicial committee investing watergate.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I think part of it is that the number and speed of media outlets has increased to such an extent that we expect short instant responses which leads to a more argumentative stance. One would guess previously one candidate would have a piece written about him in the NY Times, then a week later a considered reply would be printed the next week etc. Now we have no attention span for anything more than 140 characters.

Overwhelmed by the websites, tweets, papers etc we stick to our entrenched positions rather than discuss. We are simultaneously more informed and less informed at the same time.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Actually that was primary republican against republican since the most outspoken critics of Nixon were New England republicans who were part of the judicial committee investing watergate.
Indeed. I actually think Watergate demonstrated a reasonable degree of cooperation between the two parties.

I'd say politics has got more divisive since I moved here, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the influence of money. The US has always had "the best political system money can buy", but the amounts of lobbyists $$$ floating around the political system has grown exponentially. And the Citizens United decision is only going to make matters worse. And secondly, a combination of gerrymandering of House districts and the influence of the religious right means that there are way fewer "moderates" in either party. Reaching a consensus on almost anything has become increasingly difficult.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Historically speaking, it has been worse. 1861-1865 was particularly bad...
Old Jan 6th 2012, 8:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Indeed. I actually think Watergate demonstrated a reasonable degree of cooperation between the two parties.
The response to what happened did indeed do that; but the OP asked whether the politics here had always been so poisonous, and I think that breaking into someone's psychiatrist's office to look for dirt to use in the political arena is pretty poisonous behavior!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:11 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I got here in the mid 80's and it seems to be getting worse year by year, much more vicious than I remember from years back.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The response to what happened did indeed do that; but the OP asked whether the politics here had always been so poisonous, and I think that breaking into someone's psychiatrist's office to look for dirt to use in the political arena is pretty poisonous behavior!
Oh I don't know...

... perhaps the mistake they made was not waiting to get a little therapy themselves while they were there!!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

As my dad would say 'they are all out to feather their own nests'. To be honest for the most part I can't be bothered to listen to their drivel, when they come-a-knocking I tell them in my finest british accent that I am not a citizen and cannot vote that is enough to have them piss off and leave me alone.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:14 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

poisonous politics is universal.
The level of integrity sank faster than the Titanic whilst being directly inverse to the level of hypocrisy.

Originally Posted by rpjs
Historically speaking, it has been worse. 1861-1865 was particularly bad...
with all the crap which is going on today, won't be surprised if we head that direction once more.

When Lincoln was in office, one could knock on the WH door to talk to the president. It is also debated that Lincoln's desire to abolish slavery was to weaken the south economically rather than what is traditionally believed.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
It is also debated that Lincoln's desire to abolish slavery was to weaken the south economically rather than what is traditionally believed.
A lot of skewed thinking arose during and following the War of Northern Aggression.

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:20 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by velkyal
Sorry about "long time people" thing, couldn't think of anything better.

Those of you who have been here for a long tie, what differences have you seen?
Don't fret.

It's always been this way.

US politics is nasty business.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Don't fret.

It's always been this way.

US politics is nasty business.
The fundamentalist Christian issue seems to be morre pronounced now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.