Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question for the ladies - mammograms

Question for the ladies - mammograms

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for the ladies - mammograms

On nhs in uk you get called for one at 50
Old Apr 24th 2013, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

My darling friend Michele died at age 38 of breast cancer. I still miss her 10 years later. I have had mammogram done every year since she died when I was 40..Each to their own..
Old Apr 24th 2013, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toopie28
That what I want to know and I often wonder if it's due to the cost of health insurance. Maybe that's why so many people go to the doctor here - once you have whatever it is - you're screwed (financially).
On the flip slide, doctors and medical facilities make a ton of money on tests in general, so I am always a little sceptical when doctors' groups recommend a certain level of testing. This is especially true given you get the situation where doctors are the owners of the testing facility.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I've been through the mill, am now fine, but I would say its best to go and have one. I think the problem with the British age for mammograms is you end up thinking "I'm not old enough for a mammogram therefore I'm unlikely to have breast cancer". I did, unfortunately. I think the US has it right on early testing.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
My ob/gyn is the current Chairperson of the ACOG District VIII, she is progressive and doesn't just preach against mammograms (she is in favour of them in certain situations) but she hands out reading material to back up everything she says.
Interesting. PM me her name. I'll check this out further.

I do however stand by my first comment.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Some discussion here. It's worth noting that mammograms aren't risk-free in that you're exposing yourself to radiation:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ost-women.html

http://www.preventcancer.com/patient...ammography.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_1...tic-mutations/

As to your question in general, I would say it depends what actions are taken in the case of a (false) positive. This is why PSA screening is a lot more controversial than mammograms:- studies seem to indicate that the former often leads to prostate surgery that may be unnecessary and have serious side effects.
This is why I'm not keen.

They should be called breast X-rays for a start.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
On the flip slide, doctors and medical facilities make a ton of money on tests in general, so I am always a little sceptical when doctors' groups recommend a certain level of testing. This is especially true given you get the situation where doctors are the owners of the testing facility.
Interesting. My mammograms are paid for 100% by my insurance. I looked up what they recommend for screening and it says this: "The health reform law requires coverage of screening mammography for women age 40 and older every 1-2 years without cost-share. UnitedHealthcare believes mammography is a critical tool for early cancer detection and does not impose an age or frequency limit on breast cancer screenings. We cover screening mammography for all adult women."
Old Apr 25th 2013, 9:07 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I get one every year. My cousin just died from breast cancer last Thursday. I would never wait until I was 50. I have had several friends and relatives that were diagnosed in their 30's and 40's
Old Apr 25th 2013, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, don't want to panic anybody, but my eyes were opened to find that there isn't just one type of breast cancer. It can take several forms and they're not all identified by finding a lump.
With any type of cancer, though, the survival chances are increased by early detection.
Also, I had no family history of it. Now I do!

Last edited by jemima55; Apr 25th 2013 at 9:22 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 9:44 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
Sorry, don't want to panic anybody, but my eyes were opened to find that there isn't just one type of breast cancer. It can take several forms and they're not all identified by finding a lump.
With any type of cancer, though, the survival chances are increased by early detection.
Also, I had no family history of it. Now I do!
Very true. My friend Lisa died of Paget's disease at 36 which is a type of breast cancer that may or may not have a lump.