Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question for Florida Folks (Just got speeding ticket for doing 9mph over limit?!)

Question for Florida Folks (Just got speeding ticket for doing 9mph over limit?!)

Old Oct 18th 2014, 8:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for Florida Folks (Just got speeding ticket for doing 9mph over limit?!)

Originally Posted by md95065
see above
Edited in!
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for Florida Folks (Just got speeding ticket for doing 9mph over limit?!)

Three of the strangest tickets I ever got were in Europe. The first was when I left work at CERN (Geneva) and traffic was almost totally stopped. After about a half hour and only moving about a quarter mile, there was a side road that people were taking so I followed. All of a sudden, there were about 20 police ticketing everyone for driving on a road that was only supposed to be used for local traffic. I asked how was I supposed to know and he said there is sign at the previous corner and when I checked several days later, there was a sign but it was 90% covered by foliage.

Another time I was driving from Geneva to Bern and the road was under construction and I was stuck behind a Citron 2CV doing about 15 mph. After about 5 miles, there was an "end of no passing" sign and I started to pass but about 200' later, there was a "no passing" sign and I saw a cop sitting on a motorcycle by the side of the road so I slowed to get back behind the Citron but the police gave me a ticket but said he would only charge 1/2 price since I tried to get back behind the Citron before the "no passing" sign.

The third was in Germany on the autobahn driving in the left lane where there was a sign indicating that the right lane was closed, a "no passing" sign, and a 60 km speed limit. In the US, you are supposed to slow to the speed limit and stay in the left lane allowing others to merge to the left lane but I was pulled over at the barrier and given a ticket for passing. I said I didn't pass anybody and all the cars in the right lane merged in front of me. I was told that in Germany when you see such signs, you must move to the right lane prior to the "no passing" sign and then when you get to the barrier, move to the left lane.

All of the tickets had to be paid at the time of the violation to the police officer and wondered what would have happened if I didn't have enough cash to pay the ticket.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I would check the validity of the ticket first.

Here in Georgia, a cop CANNOT issue a ticket for less than 10 over (I checked. It's in the state statutes). This is because not all counties can afford the laser speed checking and still rely on radar, which is less accurate. State Patrol, however, can issue a ticket for as little as ONE over.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandLuc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I would check the validity of the ticket first.

Here in Georgia, a cop CANNOT issue a ticket for less than 10 over (I checked. It's in the state statutes). This is because not all counties can afford the laser speed checking and still rely on radar, which is less accurate. State Patrol, however, can issue a ticket for as little as ONE over.
Hmm, the ticket actually says on it that the equipment used was a radar also he never asked me to the sign the ticket that he gave to me, it just has his signature on but theres a place on it where my signature was meant to go - odd!

Last edited by CoolHandLuc; Oct 18th 2014 at 10:30 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoolHandLuc
Hmm, the ticket actually says on it that the equipment used was a radar also he never asked me to the sign the ticket that he gave to me, it just has his signature on but theres a place on it where my signature was meant to go - odd!
Since you didn't sign it, you may be able to get it dismissed but usually that is more of a hassle than it is worth. The last time I went to traffic court, the presiding officer (not a judge) can possibly dismiss the ticket but usually he/she will only dismiss tickets under certain conditions (when I went, the only tickets that were dismissed were when traffic light cameras were used and he/she couldn't make out the picture to be the same person as the person before him/her). For most tickets, the presiding officer reduced the fine. Then he/she will ask whether the person wants to contest the ticket but if they do, then an appointment will be made before a judge and then they can argue their case.

People that try to argue their case before the traffic court were cut off and told they must see a judge to argue their case. In California, a person can also request a jury trial and some do and normal traffic tickets are usually dismissed but after a lot of hassle. The local government isn't going to have jury trials for normal traffic tickets due to the high cost and the DA only has 60 days to bring to trial so the DA sets a date for trial but when the person shows up, the trial is delayed. This is usually done 2 or 3 times during the 60 day period and if the person shows up each time, the ticket is dismissed but if he doesn't show up, then he has a "failure to appear" warrant issued.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michael
Since you didn't sign it, you may be able to get it dismissed but usually that is more of a hassle than it is worth. The last time I went to traffic court, the presiding officer (not a judge) can possibly dismiss the ticket but usually he/she will only dismiss tickets under certain conditions (when I went, the only tickets that were dismissed were when traffic light cameras were used and he/she couldn't make out the picture to be the same person as the person before him/her). For most tickets, the presiding officer reduced the fine. Then he/she will ask whether the person wants to contest the ticket but if they do, then an appointment will be made before a judge and then they can argue their case.

People that try to argue their case before the traffic court were cut off and told they must see a judge to argue their case. In California, a person can also request a jury trial and some do and normal traffic tickets are usually dismissed but after a lot of hassle. The local government isn't going to have jury trials for normal traffic tickets due to the high cost and the DA only has 60 days to bring to trial so the DA sets a date for trial but when the person shows up, the trial is delayed. This is usually done 2 or 3 times during the 60 day period and if the person shows up each time, the ticket is dismissed but if he doesn't show up, then he has a "failure to appear" warrant issued.
Hey Mike, I dont think Im gonna bother going through the courts, I'll just cut my loses and pay the ticket, the only real question I have is do I have to actually go to the court to pay it / do the online course, or can I do it all online.... the ticket mentioned that I didnt need to appear in court, but others have said that I need to let them know that I intend to do the online course before doing it (frustrating, cause I could do it right now on the weekend and get it out the way!)
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CoolHandLuc
Hey Mike, I dont think Im gonna bother going through the courts, I'll just cut my loses and pay the ticket, the only real question I have is do I have to actually go to the court to pay it / do the online course, or can I do it all online.... the ticket mentioned that I didnt need to appear in court, but others have said that I need to let them know that I intend to do the online course before doing it (frustrating, cause I could do it right now on the weekend and get it out the way!)
It appears that you may have to go to the courthouse (should be just a clerk at a window and no appointment necessary) to notify the clerk that you want to sign up for the Basic Driver Improvement Course (you might as well pay for the ticket at the same time). It also appears that if you want to only pay the ticket, it can be done online but you can't request the Basic Driver Improvement Course since a clerk will have to determine if you are eligible and the online web site may not be able to currently process that.

Traffic tickets put points on your driving record; however, under most circumstances, Florida allows drivers to enroll in a state-approved Basic Driver Improvement Course} to reduce or avoid driving record points, which can help you avoid license suspension or revocation in the future.

Note that if you want to use the Basic Driver Improvement Course option, you must notify the court within 30 days of receiving the ticket, but prior to actually attending the course. Also, you must pay an election fee to that county

Paying Your Florida Traffic Ticket at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I got ticketed for 81 in a 65 on the interstate in NC. The ticket said I had to appear in court. Within a week I was snowed under with junk mail from lawyers. I went with one who had the most experience, figuring he was "better connected!". . The lawyer "appeared" on my behalf (I suspect it was in chambers, or a "virtual" appearance), and I didn't actually have to attend court. It cost me $350 all in but no points and nothing to tip off the insurance companies. The other time I was "not exactly stopped", and most certainly not ticketed, was when I was doing north of 60, probably close to 65 on a four-lane 45 road into a small town in NC that I subsequently learned funds a lot of its budget with speeding tickets! Once bitten, twice shy, I don't care who passes me now, I won't go even 1mph over whenever I go that way!

BTW "Not exactly stopped" means that, not knowing I'd been seen speeding, I carried on at a similar pace and inadvertently got away. Later, after parking and getting out of my car I was found by the police officer who proceeded to check my license as I was clearly a no-good lowlife to be driving so fast. After giving me back my license I got an explanation that he hadn't been able to keep sight of me long enough to get a speed reading on his radar, and a stern telling off about the dangers of speeding!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 19th 2014 at 12:57 am.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

I just happened to be coming out the gym earlier and saw another police car, so I figured I had nothing to lose and asked about the points etc.

The officer said that it was wierd that they gave me a ticket for going over by 9mph she said they only ususally pull people over it they go over 10 mph, she took my name and I gave her the officers name who supplied me the ticket, she said shes gonna look into it for me and should be able to drop it.

This was Kissimmee police, she thinks it was most likely Osceola sherrifs who pulled me over cause she said they have 'alot of new guys'