Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

No acorns in Southern Virginia

No acorns in Southern Virginia

Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default No acorns in Southern Virginia

I have noticed and others have confirmed it there are very few acorns on the trees this year.
It seems in the north it is not an issue has anyone else noticed this ?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No acorns in Southern Virginia

They are over here. The street outside my house is mulched in crushed acorns.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 11:28 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

We have just moved to a different area in the northeast US, so I don't know what's "normal" and what's not around here...But I do remember that in England there were cycles in acorn production that varied from year to year. Some years the acorns were everywhere & some years not so much.

The Virginia Dept. of Forestry agrees with you, though. They're asking the public to collect and save acorns for them to grow seedlings from, as their employees are finding fewer this autumn.

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/222220221.html

If this is true, I feel for the poor squirrels. And we have wild turkeys here--they're supposed to be big consumers of acorns. And also, don't deer eat acorns in the autumn?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 12:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
..... in England there were cycles in acorn production that varied from year to year. Some years the acorns were everywhere & some years not so much. ...
We have a number of oak trees on our property in NC and some years we get virtually no acorns. For a while it seemed to be every other year, but after 11 years, I now know the pattern is not that consistent. My casual observation is that there is a heavy crop following a period of stress, as if the trees are making an extra effort in case they die soon. Sounds a little daft, but it is the basic rationale for pruning plants, create stress in a plant and it comes back fighting.
.... The Virginia Dept. of Forestry agrees with you, though. They're asking the public to collect and save acorns for them to grow seedlings from, as their employees are finding fewer this autumn. .....
Send them down the road into NC, we're snowed under with them!
Originally Posted by WEBlue
.... If this is true, I feel for the poor squirrels. And we have wild turkeys here--they're supposed to be big consumers of acorns. And also, don't deer eat acorns in the autumn?
Virtually every herbivorous and omnivorous mammal in the woods will eat acorns, from the mouse up, including chipmunks, squirrels, ground hogs, deer, and the largest omnivorous mammals that are commonplace in the US, bears. By bulk consumed I would guess that across most of the US, more acorns are eaten by deer than by any other mammal.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 8th 2013 at 1:12 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 12:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I have noticed and others have confirmed it there are very few acorns on the trees this year.
It seems in the north it is not an issue has anyone else noticed this ?
That's interesting, we live in northern New York State, in the St. Lawrence River valley, and we have a phenomenal year for all fruit this year, including acorns.

We've lived in this house for sixteen years, and the crops of everything are many times greater than normal - blackberries, apples, butternuts, acorns, wild grapes, elderberries, etc.

Butternuts, for instance - we have two trees in the lawn, usually we get maybe a couple of hundred nuts. This year, thousands. All the apple trees around are groaning with the weight of fruit, in fact many branches have broken off as a result. And the chipmunks and squirrels are going crazy collecting the acorns, there are so many.

Our son who lives in England says it is the same over there with the beech mast, it is a very good year for that ...
Old Oct 8th 2013, 1:25 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Tons on my oak (and the floor now) here in SC, but not the sort I remember from home.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

This has been a very odd year in Southern Virginia I noticed there were barely any Persimmons this year.
In the 20 years we have been here I have never seen clover grow as well.
There are some red berries the deer are eating and they look to be eating the Paw Paws.
We have 15 oaks round the house and only 3 are producing a small number of acorns normally we have tons of them.
The squirrels are eating Hickory nuts which seem to be plentiful.
We have a couple of food plots and the deer are grazing those hard right now.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 3:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody everywhere, the squirrels can't keep up...
Old Oct 10th 2013, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen lots of them in Virginia Beach.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 5:51 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

So...I have been looking for acorns everywhere I see oak trees--and there are lots of oaks round about--and I haven't seen any. I see plenty of dried-up brown oak leaves falling, but no acorns. Strange!
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What's the acorn crop looking like this year? The willow leafed oaks in my yard, plus the other species, produced very heavily this year, and the squirrels are getting fat. I suspect that the deer are filling up on acorns too. The oaks outside my office, which I think are chestnut oaks, also produced a very heavy crop.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

My squirrels have enjoyed my apple, peach, pear, plum and almond crop.
When winter comes they come round and snarf some of the seed I put out for the birds.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 10:34 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What's the acorn crop looking like this year? The willow leafed oaks in my yard, plus the other species, produced very heavily this year, and the squirrels are getting fat. I suspect that the deer are filling up on acorns too. The oaks outside my office, which I think are chestnut oaks, also produced a very heavy crop.
I've seen a few on the ground at home in the last week. Not a lot, just like there aren't a lot of leaves falling. I think it's been so dry that the trees round our way are stressed and hanging on to all their bits. We had no acorns last autumn (really not one!) so at first I didn't recognize the few I was stepping on....

Right now I'm visiting family south of me and I see a fair number amongst the fallen leaves.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

After quite a cool summer we have heavy crops of acorns, pecans, walnuts, paw paws and one of the heaviest persimmon crops I have ever seen.
The apples and peaches did not do well some trees did not fruit at all.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

mum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond reputemum 2 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Last year was a bumper year for apples, pears and acorns. This year not one apple or pear but still loads of acorns in north west New Jersey. There are now more chipmunks than squirrels too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.