Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question about travel and AP

Question about travel and AP

Old Apr 14th 2001, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

smldnabjp is an unknown quantity at this point

This is probably a silly question, but my fiance asked me this the other day and I didn't know the answer. If you a traveling to some place the us vigin islands or a us protectorate, Would you need to use AP or not? I know we will have to get ap anyways in case we need to travel to the uk. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 14th 2001, 2:04 pm
Jonathan_ATC

This comes up periodically. Some say you can, some say you can't.

My advice to anyone is don't leave on of the 50 states for anywhere but the 50 states
without first obtaining AP.

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page
http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's
Fiance Visa Page http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization
Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 14th 2001, 3:26 pm
Alvena Ferreira

smldnabjp wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
You do need the AP for US virgin Islands:

http://www.usvi.net/us-ins/html/travel_back....html

alvena

Old Apr 14th 2001, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

smldnabjp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies, I sort of figured it was probably best to just get the ap documents.
Old Apr 16th 2001, 8:55 pm
Nick Majsa

This is sort of off topic but I think it pertains to this type of discussion: Please
bear with the story and the awkward writting... Im a network engineer, not a writer.

My wife (Colombian with AP) went to Colombia in Dec for the month to visit friends
and family. Myself and my folks was going to meet her on the 22nd and we would all
fly back Jan 1. Things didn't turn out as planned. Fog closed LAX for the night
(hotel room)and when we finally did get on the plane, there were only 5 people
(airbus A320). We ended up in Costa Rica for the night and finally Bogota the next
day (48 hours total).

Now for what you should think about regarding AP: The reason there were only 5 people
on the plane to Costa Rica leg is that the rest of the people on the plane were
either headed to Mexico (they skipped that stop) or Colombian Nationals. The
Colombians could not get off the plane in Costa Rica and leave the airport. If my
wife were with me, she would have to stay in the airport for 10 hours and wait for
the next leg of the flight (airport was basically closed). In addition, if we had
been heading to a place that WOULD have allowed her out of the airport, without AP,
she would not have been allowed back in the US (assuming our final destination was a
US territory).

I don't know how the US would treat a person returning from a trip that stranded them
in another country but I would not chance the possibility of plane failure keeping me
or my loved ones from returning to the US because my wife didn't have AP.

If I don't make enough sense to understand in this, lemme know directly and I will
repost when Im not so harried (circuit problems)

Nick

Old Apr 17th 2001, 2:11 am
Betastar

I *totally* don't get what you're trying to say here. Your wife has AP, so she can
return to the US. If she didn't have AP, she shouldn't have been on the flight to
Colombia in the first place, no?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 17th 2001, 7:48 am
Evan and Sheila

I *think* he's saying that he thinks the AP would be used if she had to 'enter'
another country in case they had to make an unplanned stop somewhere along their
trip. Which is incorrect. The AP is used only when she returns to the US. They take
it at the US Immigration when you're entering the United States.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
[usenetquote2]> >This is sort of off topic but I think it pertains to this type of discussion:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Please bear with the story and the awkward writting... Im a network engineer, not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >a writer.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >My wife (Colombian with AP) went to Colombia in Dec for the month to[/usenetquote2]
visit
[usenetquote2]> >friends and family. Myself and my folks was going to meet her on the[/usenetquote2]
22nd
[usenetquote2]> >and we would all fly back Jan 1. Things didn't turn out as planned. Fog closed LAX[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >for the night (hotel room)and when we finally did get on the plane, there were[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >only 5 people (airbus A320). We ended up in Costa Rica for the night and finally[/usenetquote2]
Bogota
[usenetquote2]> >the next day (48 hours total).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Now for what you should think about regarding AP: The reason there were only 5[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >people on the plane to Costa Rica leg is[/usenetquote2]
that
[usenetquote2]> >the rest of the people on the plane were either headed to Mexico (they skipped[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >that stop) or Colombian Nationals. The Colombians could not get[/usenetquote2]
off
[usenetquote2]> >the plane in Costa Rica and leave the airport. If my wife were with me, she would[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >have to stay in the airport for 10[/usenetquote2]
hours
[usenetquote2]> >and wait for the next leg of the flight (airport was basically closed).[/usenetquote2]
In
[usenetquote2]> >addition, if we had been heading to a place that WOULD have allowed her[/usenetquote2]
out
[usenetquote2]> >of the airport, without AP, she would not have been allowed back in the[/usenetquote2]
US
[usenetquote2]> >(assuming our final destination was a US territory).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >I don't know how the US would treat a person returning from a trip that stranded[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >them in another country but I would not chance the possibility[/usenetquote2]
of
[usenetquote2]> >plane failure keeping me or my loved ones from returning to the US[/usenetquote2]
because
[usenetquote2]> >my wife didn't have AP.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >If I don't make enough sense to understand in this, lemme know directly[/usenetquote2]
and
[usenetquote2]> >I will repost when Im not so harried (circuit problems)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Nick[/usenetquote2]
    >